Vertigo/Dizziness After Cruise

Hi! I just went on my first cruise last weekend from Miami to the Bahamas for 
4 days. We had some rough seas and the boat was rocking up and down and my room with in the back of the ship. When we left the ship on Monday I had a small amount of dizziness throughout the day back on land but nothing crazy. Come the next day and I feel like I’m swaying. I am feel this sensation in my head like I am still moving on the boat, almost like my head is moving but I am completely still! Almost like a headache without the pain? 

I read online that I could develop a syndrome called “mal de embarkment” syndrome where this “motion” feel will persist for months to years. I am convinced this feeling is never gonna go away and this cruise just affected my whole life! Do other people experience this? Im super scared. 5 days post cruise and I still feel a “motion” sensation in my head. I hope this will go away and that I’m not alone.

You're not alone, and it has nothing to do with if the seas are rough or not.  I suffer from this after every cruise, even if waters are calm.  For most people it will go away in about a week.  For me it lasts about a month, give or take a week, but it does go away eventually (I cruise 2-3 times a year).  While it may be that it doesn't go away for some people, it's much more likely that it will go away for you.

Some people recommend drugs/ginger, etc.   For me, nothing works but time.  Stay positive!!

12 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

You're not alone, and it has nothing to do with if the seas are rough or not.  I suffer from this after every cruise, even if waters are calm.  For most people it will go away in about a week.  For me it lasts about a month, give or take a week, but it does go away eventually (I cruise 2-3 times a year).  While it may be that it doesn't go away for some people, it's much more likely that it will go away for you.

Some people recommend drugs/ginger, etc.   For me, nothing works but time.  Stay positive!!

Thank you for responding! I will do my best to remain positive and hope it’ll go away. Glad I am not alone, it’s a pretty weird sensation. 

It's an absolute pain in the, well, you know.  I find it's worse when I'm taking a shower or doing dishes (I have no idea if the water has anything to do with it or what). Luckily it doesn't affect my ability to drive or use power tools (ok, I never use power tools, but if I WANTED to use power tools, I still could),

I was going to consult with my doctor, but knowing him he'd tell me to stop cruising, and that's simply not an option I'm willing to entertain.

12 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

It's definitely very common. I get it too after about half my cruises. While I rarely need to take it when I'm ON a cruise, I do find Bonine helpful in easing this sensation afterwards. 

You're so lucky.  I get it after every cruise, it lasts longer after every cruise, and literally nothing works for me.

8 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

There are exercises you can do while in bed that involve rotating your head in stages.  My physician downloaded the instructions from the internet when my condition persisted a few weeks after a cruise.  Most of the sensations passed after a few days.

Yes, those head movements/exercises helped me a lot.  

35 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

There are exercises you can do while in bed that involve rotating your head in stages.  My physician downloaded the instructions from the internet when my condition persisted a few weeks after a cruise.  Most of the sensations passed after a few days.

Thanks!! I’m going to look into this and also have an appointment tomorrow. I hope it passes soon, I feel awful! 

• 1 year later...

After a cruise, seasickness usually subsides within a few days, with most individuals experiencing sea legs for just a brief period after getting off the ship. To alleviate motion and land sickness symptoms, over-the-counter medications like Benadryl or Dramamine are often effective, while some doctors may opt for stronger options such as Valium.