Oasis delayed boarding due to marine traffic

The channel alongside the cruise terminal is also used by container ships to pass by and dock further up. There are docking stations with gantry cranes for several container ships and they’re usually busy. Several times I have been aboard the docked Anthem pre-cruise when a container ship passed by and it seemed pretty close. I can imagine how the width of the Oasis can really narrow that space…making it necessary to move for a large container ship. I guess scheduling hit a little snag.

18 hours ago, BrianB said:

These were from my balcony on the Anthem.......

Screenshot_20220429-182430_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220429-182415_Photos.jpg

With Oasis being wider that Anthem, Royal perhaps does not want to risk a collision.  

Does anyone know how wide the channel is between Cape Liberty and Port Jersey?  If a cargo vessel is parked on the opposite side of the channel how much open water would there be between Oasis at Cape Liberty and any cargo ship parked on the other side?

59 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

With Oasis being wider that Anthem, Royal perhaps does not want to risk a collision.  

Does anyone know how wide the channel is between Cape Liberty and Port Jersey?  If a cargo vessel is parked on the opposite side of the channel how much open water would there be between Oasis at Cape Liberty and any cargo ship parked on the other side?

Directly across from the cruise port is typically where the ROROs dock to offload their cars. Further down the channel is where the docks with gantry cranes are located. It can get pretty tight with a ship the size of the Oasis at the cruise terminal. 
* the white ‘L’ shaped building next to Tear Drop Park is the cruise terminal.

A41D27E2-D59E-4713-9DF3-132C6230E9C5.jpeg

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The YM Witness is now in range and reporting a 8:30am local time arrival. So that's not the reason for the detour.

Nothing else makes sense yet with the free data available

Could the reported arrival time be the time they arrive at the pilot station…or is it time they arrive at the dock? Just wondering if that could be the reason. 
Also, it’s possible that the times could change again and Royal decided it’s simplest to not send out another email notification risking more confusion. I’ll see when I get there. I have an arrival time of 10:30, but I’ll get there around 11:30. 

Update….at 0950 according to the Marine Traffic app…the YM Witness is just approaching the lower bay. The port cam still shows the Oasis docked at the cruise terminal.

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

Could the reported arrival time be the time they arrive at the pilot station…or is it time they arrive at the dock? Just wondering if that could be the reason. 
Also, it’s possible that the times could change again and Royal decided it’s simplest to not send out another email notification risking more confusion. I’ll see when I get there. I have an arrival time of 10:30, but I’ll get there around 11:30. 

Update….at 0950 according to the Marine Traffic app…the YM Witness is just approaching the lower bay. The port cam still shows the Oasis docked at the cruise terminal.

She is out of her berth now 

If the outlines of the ships are accurate representation of ship dimensions. Using some Photoshop skills this is what YM Witness passing with Oasis still docked would have looked. Keep in mind this doesn't include the tugs that were following along side.

image.png.033ecaab83c4e3851de11f8d37af9dd8.png

The Witness is a huge container ship that looked like a block of buildings passing by, accompanied by tugs. Very impressive. The Fidelio(sp?) is the RORO which was docked directly across the channel. The RORO was also bunkering with a fueling barge alongside. We entered the port and were checked in while the Oasis was still treading water outside the channel. After checking in, we were directed to the waiting areas and sat in the rows of chairs…just like pre-pandemic. No masks required…no distancing. We boarded right after the Star and ‘special needs’ and were on the ship at 12:35.
On another note, this was the first time I had to park in the open, overflow lot as the parking garage was completely full with the Anthem’s passengers. Then the parking lot filled to capacity, even after some strategic squeezing, so the attendants began directing cars to park outside the lot on the street leading to the lot. But, it’s all part of the port so I’m guessing they still charged the $25 a day parking fee. The CD, Mike, made an announcement shortly before we cast off…he apologized and explained about the marine traffic causing us to be late with our boarding, and how it caused a domino effect with check in backing up. Oh, well…checked in at my assembly station and made it to Johnny Rockets before 1pm!

Crazy.  It was an “ok” experience on May 1.

we arrived for our regular 10:30 boarding knowing we would have a wait.  Our wait wasn’t bad. They started allowing suite guests and Pinnacle in about 10:40, followed by handicapped.  I entered the terminal about 11. Everyone entered through security and suite/pinnacle had their plush seats snd hard chairs.  The rest of us had seats inside the “exiting luggage room”

I do believe anyone after 12:30 boarding stayed outside.  It was quite a wait to board, maybe about 1:00? Funny how quickly it’s forgotten  

LOTS of folks still don’t know to do the muster drill.  Really, 2 hours in the terminal you’d think they’d make announcements  

16 hours ago, SheSellsSeashells said:

We just got notification that the same thing is happening for the May 8 sailing.

But one huge difference is Oasis was empty, last Sunday was her first sailing of the season out of Cape Liberty.  This coming Sunday they would need to have all passengers off the ship by at least 10:15 am to have the ship out of her berth by 10:30 am maybe they will open the doors a bit early to let people off if customs and immigration are ready.

8 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

But one huge difference is Oasis was empty, last Sunday was her first sailing of the season out of Cape Liberty.  This coming Sunday they would need to have all passengers off the ship by at least 10:15 am to have the ship out of her berth by 10:30 am maybe they will open the doors a bit early to let people off if customs and immigration are ready.

If we drove, we would wait to be among the last ones off the ship anyway (easier to not fight the crowds).

If they don't have everyone off in time to move from the berth for marine traffic, that's extra time to enjoy the ship before returning to reality. Makes using all the Diamond vouchers on debarkation day easier!