Disabled Veterans Parking at the Port of Galveston!

Attention:

Just a heads up for disabled Vets that haven't cruised out of Galveston in a few years, like me.  If you are used to getting free parking because of your service connected disability, NO MORE!  Their new policy is to give you a 15% discount and only if you are at least 50% disabled.  So, don't forget to bring/save some extra $$ to park with!  I guess your sacrifice isn't worth as much as it used to be. 

As you were!

https://www.portofgalveston.com/245/Disabled-Veteran-Discount-Program

Thank you for your service @10-42! That is disappointing news.  I will point out that two other parking operations offer discounts to military, seniors, teachers, and first responders.  It's only 10% off but the discounts apply to a wider variety of folks.

https://www.portparking.com/cruise-parking-experience/loyalty-program/

https://www.ezcruiseparking.com/cruise-parking-experience/loyalty-program/

These two parking operators as well as the Port of Galveston, have Loyalty Programs that are equivalent to an additional 10% off for frequent cruisers.

12 hours ago, 10-42 said:

Attention:

Just a heads up for disabled Vets that haven't cruised out of Galveston in a few years, like me.  If you are used to getting free parking because of your service connected disability, NO MORE!  Their new policy is to give you a 15% discount and only if you are at least 50% disabled.  So, don't forget to bring/save some extra $$ to park with!  I guess your sacrifice isn't worth as much as it used to be. 

As you were!

I too am a retired US. Army veteran with a VA rating -  how do they know you are above 50% do you have to bring along your VA rating paperwork too or do they take you at your word?

3 hours ago, VACruiser said:

I too am a retired US. Army veteran with a VA rating -  how do they know you are above 50% do you have to bring along your VA rating paperwork too or do they take you at your word?

You need to apply online ahead of time. There is info and a link to the application here: 

5 hours ago, VACruiser said:

Yes!  Even when it was free, you had to bring your VA letter with you.  Now you create an account and upload the documents,  All this to get a 15% discount and just another government agency having your most treasured personal information, especially if you have to send in your 214.  I actually think it's a deterrent to trying to get the 15%.  

https://www.portofgalveston.com/FormCenter/Disabled-Veteran-Discount-Request-Form-4/Disabled-Veterans-Purple-Heart-Recipient-37

Upload Award Letter showing service-connected disability of 50% or higher OR DD-214 showing that the individual was a recipient of a Purple Heart Medal.

EDITED IN:  If you notice, it doesn't mention the 50% disability until you get to the application form.  I even watched a coupler of news reports about it (in Youtube) and it wasn't mentioned there either.   

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

I'm sorry but I'm not uploading my DD Form 214 online for a discount.  I do carry a copy of my 214 in my passport holder in case I need to show it but as they say...Once you upload anything to the net...It's always going to be on the net for anyone to see and possibly use.

Agreed.  I'll not be worrying about a 15% discount at the Port of Galveston.  The aristocracy at the Port of Galveston can kiss my grits.  

4 hours ago, VACruiser said:

^^^^I second and third that. Has way too much Personally identifiable information (PII)  involved in that form to give it away for a 15% discount. I don't think I'd do it for a 100% discount 🤨

When I last cruised out of Galveston, on Brand X, pre-COVID, all that was required was the VA letter to prove that you were over 20 or 30%, can't remember exactly.  I don't mind the VA letter because that is one of the reasons that the VA provides the letter.  

I'm not one of those that gets upset when a business doesn't give a military discount, I don't feel entitled.  If a business doesn't give me a military discount, I'll continue to do business with that business or not.  But, I'm not going to complain to them or anywhere about it.  It's their business and they can do what they want.

However, this is what really frosts my ass:  

"The Port of Galveston is pleased to honor our Veterans with disabilities by providing an online Disabled Veteran Discount Program".    

I don't know about you but, our status hasn't changed.  We're still disabled Veterans, and none of our sacrifices, aches and pains have changed.  So, when they say that you are "honoring our Veterans with disabilities" by taking away a benefit, I say B.S. Don't give disabled Veterans a great benefit and really honor them and then take it away and require more personal information of them and call it "honoring Veterans with disabilities".  Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining!  

6 hours ago, 10-42 said:

I don't know about you but, our status hasn't changed.  We're still disabled Veterans, and none of our sacrifices, aches and pains have changed.  

My knees are shot and my Doctor says it’s time to replace them.  However, I’m not crossing that bridge till I absolutely have to.  In the meantime, you will see me taking the elevators onboard and avoiding the stairs…If you insist on getting on the elevator before people get off…You won’t like me or my comments.  

2 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

My knees are shot and my Doctor says it’s time to replace them.  However, I’m not crossing that bridge till I absolutely have to.  In the meantime, you will see me taking the elevators onboard and avoiding the stairs…If you insist on getting on the elevator before people get off…You won’t like me or my comments.  

Already ahead of you.  Right knee (total) replaced several years ago (VA Hospital in Indy), best decision I've made in a long time.  Now I take the stairs and walk 3.5 miles every other day.  The walking and stairs keeps the knee from stiffening up.  

My wife had her right knee replaced and is still struggling with it a little.  But, it took a few years for mine to get right.  It takes patients and work.  

Ahhhhhhh, get 'er done!