Covid 19Ag Test

PJK

Heading to Europe (Maybe...) in June ...

Questions on the BinaxNow Covid-19Ag Proctored Test ...

I have downloaded the Navica App to my smartphone. 

Has anyone had success is proctoring the test on your phone (vs. a tablet)? 

Additionally, has anyone experienced issues or problems with connectivity or other issues when attempting to test for return travel to the US?

I am disappointed RCL is not assisting returning US citizens sailing from Europe with such testing similiar to other carriers (Princess, Costa, Holland America). 

It works great on an iPhone.  Did one today. Be prepared to sit at a table or desk and have something on the table/desk to prop the phone against (a couple books, a water glass, etc).  They will need to watch you open the test, put the drops into the test card hole, swab your nose, and insert the swab into the test card.  You'll do all that while your phone is positioned upright so as to see the test items on the table and also see you.

I too am cruising Europe/Scandinavia in a couple months, and have similar questions. 
One big thing I’m wondering: there seems to be a lot of concern about iPhone vs tablets, etc. So, is it possible to have one person hold the phone as “cameraman” while the other person does the test?  Then switch roles for the next test?

1 hour ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

I too am cruising Europe/Scandinavia in a couple months, and have similar questions. 
One big thing I’m wondering: there seems to be a lot of concern about iPhone vs tablets, etc. So, is it possible to have one person hold the phone as “cameraman” while the other person does the test?  Then switch roles for the next test?

You could, but the camera has to be on the test for the entire testing period, including the 15 minutes of wait time after you take the test. I don't think you'll be wanting to hold it in place that whole time.

56 minutes ago, Lynnea said:

We’re taking this same test before flying out to Orlando from CA. How do we show proof of this? Does Binax Now email me a doc that I can print and show? Do I take a pic??? Thanks!

Yes you will get results emailed to you. You can also access/display them in the Navica app. Personally I’m #TeamPrintItOut though 😉

1 hour ago, Lynnea said:

We’re taking this same test before flying out to Orlando from CA. How do we show proof of this? Does Binax Now email me a doc that I can print and show? Do I take a pic??? Thanks!

They will email you AND they will be in your account in the app.
You can  (in order of my own personal opinion)
Print: Highly recommend-no worries about a dead phone! Forgotten passwords
Screenshot results: Next best thing, they are in your photos and you do not have to log in 
Access results on the account:  You better remember the password, hope you have a good connection and that the  website is up and running.

I've read some conflicting information regarding these tests for cruises departing from Europe.  We are sailing out of Barcelona this June but are arriving a few days before the cruise so we aren't able to test prior to leaving the US.  Can we pack these and take with us and do it on our phone from Barcelona or are we better making an appt at the airport in Barcelona?

Also, do these satisfy the testing requirements for return back into the United States?  

14 minutes ago, STB7481 said:

I've read some conflicting information regarding these tests for cruises departing from Europe.  We are sailing out of Barcelona this June but are arriving a few days before the cruise so we aren't able to test prior to leaving the US.  Can we pack these and take with us and do it on our phone from Barcelona or are we better making an appt at the airport in Barcelona?

Also, do these satisfy the testing requirements for return back into the United States?  

Yes and yes. 

14 hours ago, Shinta said:

Anyone know if we can use 3 packs for 4 people? It’s for me, husband, and 2 children. Thank you.

Yes. Don't read into the fact when you order it only lets to specify 3 names.

16 hours ago, Shinta said:

Anyone know if we can use 3 packs for 4 people? It’s for me, husband, and 2 children. Thank you.

If by a 3 pack you mean 3 tests, then no. You'd need 4 tests for 4 people (or I'm confused by what you are asking).  I'd order a 6-pack for 4 people in case one of the tests is missing something (which, unfortunately, happens).

23 hours ago, STB7481 said:

Thank you.  The information on found on the RC website was under the heading for cruises departing US ports, Puerto Rico, and Canada.  Made me question it since it did not list European ports.

Yes, not sure people are understanding the difference coming home from a european cruise where one has to test to get on a flight to get home [to the USA].  We've been trying desperately to hear from someone or others who have actually done this test 'onboard' a ship [a Royal ship]...specifically to get home [before disembark, not embark].  Yes, a great test in comfort of one's own home, with good wifi and internet...or even in a familiar local setting [hotel or whatever].  But...how about on a ship? Or in an airport with people milling around everywhere? Or in a cab on the way to that airport? Or on a street corner somewhere in a foreign city? Or any help from others having to deal with this CDC requirement to get on a flight home [again to the USA].  Thanks in advance.  

RCL offers no help from European ports for that covid testing [at least in their protocols].  No information whatsoever except to check one's home country's requirement for re-entry.  INFORMATION. needed; how, when, and where to get this done?  

6 minutes ago, LinRon2 said:

Yes, not sure people are understanding the difference coming home from a european cruise where one has to test to get on a flight to get home [to the USA].  We've been trying desperately to hear from someone or others who have actually done this test 'onboard' a ship [a Royal ship]...specifically to get home [before disembark, not embark].  Yes, a great test in comfort of one's own home, with good wifi and internet...or even in a familiar local setting [hotel or whatever].  But...how about on a ship? Or in an airport with people milling around everywhere? Or in a cab on the way to that airport? Or on a street corner somewhere in a foreign city? Or any help from others having to deal with this CDC requirement to get on a flight home [again to the USA].  Thanks in advance.  

RCL offers no help from European ports for that covid testing [at least in their protocols].  No information whatsoever except to check one's home country's requirement for re-entry.  INFORMATION. needed; how, when, and where to get this done?  

This is why I will be testing at the airport, from the airport test vendor, when I return from Amsterdam in June. As long as your departure is from one of the larger international airports, testing is easy and quick. The airport website will have information on what testing is available onsite. You can make an appointment and pay in advance. Also, your insurance may cover the whole test cost (claim submitted after the fact) rather than just the $12 — rules are usually different for medical claims outside of the US. 

7 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

This is why I will be testing at the airport, from the airport test vendor, when I return from Amsterdam in June. As long as your departure is from one of the larger international airports, testing is easy and quick. The airport website will have information on what testing is available onsite. You can make an appointment and pay in advance. Also, your insurance may cover the whole test cost (claim submitted after the fact) rather than just the $12 — rules are usually different for medical claims outside of the US. 

Yes, thanks on this.  We plan to use the airport [for us in Copenhagen] as the primary...the ABBOTT test as backup [but tried first onboard].  Probably for us is we arrive at 5am so probably won't get off ship, may earliest 7am [probably later] then transfer...say get to airport...a guess...9am?10am? and the latest flight is...wait for it...1:30pm.  This is a very tight window...and optimistic at that [lucky to get to airport before noon actually].  So the Abbott test seems to be the 'real' answer for us [though we'll go on try the airport too if that abbott fails onboard].   Doing 'air to sea' through ROyal, one would expect more help in this.  Ah well. C'est la vie. 

Of note - RCL's European Covid Protocol Policy differs from other lines (Princes, Costa, Holland America, and even Viking River Cruises). I, for one, would gladly pay to have a proctored administered test performed on the last day of the cruise instead of worrying about catching my flight or having a faulty connection sitting in my cabin. 

We all know RCL, and others, are doing their best under difficult conditions that change from time to time. I feel there should be greater understanding and sensitivity toward the US guest to make it as easy as possible. 

Good luck.  This is part of the reason we decided to book a flight leaving Monday instead of Sunday when the cruise concludes.  Lucky for us we had the flexibility in our schedules to do that.  I"m going to give the Abbott a go and hopefully we have good luck with it.  

We arrive on a Friday in Barcelona and the cruise departs on Sunday.  Will test before then and then hopefully on Sunday when we return prior to our flight on Monday.

3 hours ago, STB7481 said:

Good luck.  This is part of the reason we decided to book a flight leaving Monday instead of Sunday when the cruise concludes.  Lucky for us we had the flexibility in our schedules to do that.  I"m going to give the Abbott a go and hopefully we have good luck with it.  

We arrive on a Friday in Barcelona and the cruise departs on Sunday.  Will test before then and then hopefully on Sunday when we return prior to our flight on Monday.

Ha, we're actually considering doing that now too...stay a few nights in Copenhagen [for us] and then give us more "time buffer" to get all this done at the airport.  Denmark has lifted all travel restrictions so we assume we could do that now [stay a few nights].  We'd love to see more of Copenhagen anyway.  But, I just read a discouraging post over on Cruise Critic that some 'US guests' eMed tests were not accepted at their check-in and they had to get tested at the airport.  The good news is that they could 'STILL' get tested [even if the eMed tests were rejected] and we assume, still catch their flight.  

3 hours ago, PJK said:

Of note - RCL's European Covid Protocol Policy differs from other lines (Princes, Costa, Holland America, and even Viking River Cruises). I, for one, would gladly pay to have a proctored administered test performed on the last day of the cruise instead of worrying about catching my flight or having a faulty connection sitting in my cabin. 

We all know RCL, and others, are doing their best under difficult conditions that change from time to time. I feel there should be greater understanding and sensitivity toward the US guest to make it as easy as possible. 

absolutely! Spot on.  We've always loved Royal and Celebrity and this 'protocol' from European ports is not really in their character IOHO.  My wife says someone [maybe a lot of someones, like the Hawaiian couple off Norwegian this week, or even "US"] might be getting stranded missing flights that's gonna create a lot bad will and bad press [already doing that from posts here perhaps; well at least my barking anyway, ha].  We just need DIRECTION on how to get this done; not necessarily that it be FREE, or even on board.  We'd glagly pay any reasonable cost.  But to just be thrown off the ship...I dunno; just doesn't sound like Royal Caribbean's true character to us.  But, we'll deal with it I guess.  We've decided to not cancel [though we probably should with no information on how to do this].  I've been napping in our wooden dining room chair trying to get acclimated to airport seats where we'll probably end up sleeping for days on end when we can't get on a flight home, LOL.  I'm 71 too. Just sayin'... 

10 hours ago, PJK said:

We here in Europe would welcome a bit of the understanding and sensitivity from Royal to support us. It feels like you're on your own re testing, and I love the fact their testing partners can only deliver to a US address.

Not to beat a dead horse but here is NCL's Covid Protocol Policy on disembarkation procedures from their website (which matches Princess)...

On US based vessels, Norwegian does not require a disembarkation test. However, this does not supersede home country requirements. For Europe based vessels, an antigen disembarkation test is required and will be administered onboard and cost will be covered by Norwegian Cruise Line. There will be no PCR tests available to guests onboard unless required to confirm a positive antigen test or for symptomatic guests.

I feel bad for US travelers coming into Europe for their cruises, trying to figure out all the testing requirements and logistics. I feel even worse for those of who live in Europe/UK trying to figure out all the testing requirements and logistics. Believe me when I say we have it much worse over here.