PCR Test needed but its Memorial Day Weekend UGH! HELP!

21 minutes ago, Freebsmom said:

Hi, booked on the Adventure of the Seas out of Bayonne on Tuesday, 5/31/22.  We need to get a PCR test 2 days before but it's Memorial Day weekend.  We live outside of Philadelphia.  Any ideas?  I'm getting worried.  Thanks in advance for your help and/or suggestions.

Look now to see if Walgreens in your area offer the PCR or the NAAT PCR (both are approved for the unvaxxed )-yiou can go to Walgreens site and do a mock booking to see what is offered in your area and how far it books out.  Your earliest test for the unvaxxed would be Saturday.....I dont see why they would necessarily be closed-Monday is the "big day".    Or check out what urgent cares in your area offer PCR testing (preferably the rapid NAAT PCR since you want quick results) and see if they only take symptomatic patients or if you can do the visit as a "for travel" and if thee are any associated costs.

Check out your city pages and see if there are city sponsored companies that do rapid PCR tests (you can even ask on your town FB page for recommendations)

You hae time to figure it out, but I would definitely not wait to figure i tout.

I really wish Royal would do away with the PCR for kids, it serves no purpose.  They can test like the rest of us, and even still do the day of if that's what they want-but the PCR serves no legit purpose (my opinion)

9 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I really wish Royal would do away with the PCR for kids, it serves no purpose.  They can test like the rest of us, and even still do the day of if that's what they want-but the PCR serves no legit purpose (my opinion)

Could not agree more. Perhaps it made sense in a world where we still believed the vaccines halted transmission in a meaningful way, but not now... Especially when they're not requiring your last shot to have been within the last 3-6 months. Hopefully the PCR and day of testing for kids are the first to go.

6 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Could not agree more. Perhaps it made sense in a world where we still believed the vaccines halted transmission in a meaningful way, but not now... Especially when they're not requiring your last shot to have been within the last 3-6 months. Hopefully the PCR and day of testing for kids are the first to go.

Thank you.  I feel those with kids need to petition Royal on this subject.   (mine are all adults)  If I see a petition I would sign it though!

7 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I've never known Memorial Day weekend to be a big "businesses are closed" holiday.

I thought the same but realized the potential for lab issues.    I traveled Thanksgiving weekend in 2020 and had PCR tests done-one came back in time, the rest did not, thankfully the location we went to (Aruba) offered testing on arrival (for a cost) and we passed.

7 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I thought the same but realized the potential for lab issues.    I traveled Thanksgiving weekend in 2020 and had PCR tests done-one came back in time, the rest did not, thankfully the location we went to (Aruba) offered testing on arrival (for a cost) and we passed.

Oh, I guess.  Good  point.

We're on the same cruise with our 3.5-year-old son. Walgreens near us in central NJ do rapid NAAT -- my parents sail this weekend, made back-to-back appts on Thursday, swabbed at the same time and had both results back in 90 mins. Can book that a week out, so we plan on making Saturday & Sunday appointments for the little guy (Sunday as a back-up in case Saturday is inconclusive).

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Thank the CDC for that one

Most everything else has been lifted, shifted or done away with.  The people at the CDC must not have families that cruise.  Even Fauci said we are in an endemic now.....so these things should really start to change.  I think they need to start with this.  Again, I have no young kids, but this is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Not memorial day..but looking at booking a Bermuda cruise for June 4th out of Bayonne.

Looks like tests are only drive -thru at Walgreens...we wont have a car so are there walk in options anywhere? As well, is the NAAT test adequate for Bermuda? It says on their site COVID-19 NAAT test but then in brackets it lists(PC, LAMP or TMA) ?

help anyone?..I have the cruise on hold for 24 hrs while I try to figure this all out to se if its possible.

Didn't think cruising was still so complicated!! frustrating! 

55 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Not memorial day..but looking at booking a Bermuda cruise for June 4th out of Bayonne.

Looks like tests are only drive -thru at Walgreens...we wont have a car so are there walk in options anywhere? As well, is the NAAT test adequate for Bermuda? It says on their site COVID-19 NAAT test but then in brackets it lists(PC, LAMP or TMA) ?

help anyone?..I have the cruise on hold for 24 hrs while I try to figure this all out to se if its possible.

Didn't think cruising was still so complicated!! frustrating! 

NAAT is a broad class of tests (stands for nuclealic acid amplification)... PCR (polymerase chain reaction), LAMP (loop-mediated isothermal amplification), and TMA are types of NAAT test. Walgreen's "Rapid NAAT" test is Abbot's ID NOW test (not Abbot's BinaxNOW test, which is an antigen test). I'm pretty certain ID NOW is a LAMP test, but ideally you would see it listed as an acceptable test regimen by name somewhere on Bermuda's travel website.

Ok, so they still want a PCR test...up to 4 days before embarkation...and Royal requires it up to 2 days before....but it can take up to 72 hrs to get those PCR results most sites say.....so, how the heck is it all supposed to work out..

So confused and frustrated...I know it cant be that hard..thousands of people have already booked this cruise and have to do the same thing....but I just cant seem to figure it all out.

Doesn't help that I would be driving from Canada to Maine, then flying to EWR the day before the cruise so a bit of a tight schedule and limited testing options..

10 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Ok, so they still want a PCR test...up to 4 days before embarkation...and Royal requires it up to 2 days before....but it can take up to 72 hrs to get those PCR results most sites say.....so, how the heck is it all supposed to work out..

So confused and frustrated...I know it cant be that hard..thousands of people have already booked this cruise and have to do the same thing....but I just cant seem to figure it all out.

Doesn't help that I would be driving from Canada to Maine, then flying to EWR the day before the cruise so a bit of a tight schedule and limited testing options..

The ID Now rapid NAAT's get you results within an hour. I thought supervised antigen tests were also ok for Bermuda?

I did see the airport in Bangor offers the Abbot ID NO test..which is a NAAT test....results in 1-2 hrs..so that would be prefect for the cruise.....just questioning for Bermuda if hats 100% acceptable... this it what it says on the Bermuda site :

"Fully vaccinated passengers may take either a COVID-19 NAAT (PCR, LAMP or TMA) test no more than 4 days before embarkation, or a supervised antigen test no more than 2 days before embarkation."

But that wont work for Royal..as they require ONLY a PCR test, correct?

Ok..so it should work for both then...if I get the rapid NAAT....rapid molecular test...Abbott ID....as Royal will take a antigen test 2 days before boarding and Bermuda  will take it as its a an NAAT test...

Looks like no charge at the Bangor airport for that as well when I try to do a mock booking online..