Any one else getting the runaround from Royal about compensation for the allure of the sea not going coco cay on the 21 of April 2022

I was also on the allure of the seas and as stated above we did not go to perfect day at coco cay and instead floated around the coast of Florida. To say the least I wasn't happy but I understood the situation and I was sure Royal Caribbean would make things right. Well now I personally am furious with the cruise line because of how I have been being treated. I am a newbie, this was my 1st cruise not only with Royal Caribbean but ever and I didn't know about using a travel agent before the royal Caribbean rep's started calling me trying to get me to book right now and bombarding my email about booking before whatever. I was shopping around looking at theme parks and then the cruise lines, seeing all the stuff that was available to do,blah, blah, blah, you know but perfect day at coco cay on top of Royals (apparently made up) impeccable customer service record sold me so the next time Royal Caribbean's Representatives called I was over eager. So I booked directly through Royal because I didn't know any better... so now however I'm getting no help from royal Caribbean in regards to getting some kind of compensation for my family due to no fault of our own not being able to go to perfect day at coco cay, because we never made it there, which is the whole reason I booked through Royal Caribbean instead of Carnival cruise line. To top things off I purchased a beach bed at perfect day i was now not going to be able to use and I was assured by guests services onboard after waiting for 20 to 25 minutes in line that I wouldn't be charged for it and that it had been refunded back to me already so we disembarked the next day and my bill looks about right only then to wake up the next day to find I had been charged another $200+ on 4 separate new charges. If what they charged me was correct then I would have to have spend $650-$700 because I was charged $550+ but I had I $116 credit for the port fee being refunded to me even though I only spent $400+ onboard minus my $116 should be about $300ish. That is about what I had already charged when I disembarked from the ship and then they waited another day to charge me more, the Allure of the Sea was already 2 days into another sailing with a whole new batch of passengers. I have called twice now and the 1st time I was on hold for 25 to 30 minutes so I could explain to a guy my issue for 3 minutes and then to be told I would be put on a short hold, a"SHORT" hold, while they reached out to post cruise guests services or something so now45 minutes later after a nonstop loop of how great perfect day at coco cay is and how I should book a cruise to royal Caribbean's private island... over and over when I didn't even get to go and that's one of the 2 reasons I was calling and random breaks and small pauses as if some one was coming on the line but nope and these pauses were not in the same spots on the recording but instead were random and the recording didn't skip my phone didn't lose signal briefly. I know this because it would say "  come experience Royal Caribbean's beautiful and secluded private island pe......rfect day at coco cay. Enjoy a day in the sand and sun then unwind at captain Jack's Cantina or at whatever beach club with the Caribbean's la....rgest salt water pool or take a ride on 1 of the 3 water slides and exp....eriance north America's tall...est waterslide." Get what I mean and yes that's how long and how many times I have had to listen to it. Now I finally get to speak to Sky for less than 5 minutes, Sky whom was less than empathetic, sympathetic or helpful and she told me they had to contact the ship to get the details of my I don't know what exactly but to verify that they took to much money out of my account, not ever saying anything about any kind of compensation for my family missing our "main" destination/port even thoughI kept bringing it up. Thus far I haven't even gotten so much as an I'm sorry from the Cruise line except from the captain who decided to not take our ship to coco cay duringmy sailing.  So far the only kind of compensation of any kind I've seen was on the day we didn't go to coco cay and it was only that you could get 20% off spa packages due to the inconvenience, so you had to spend more money on something that I at least didn't want to spend more money on to get your compensation for Royal Caribbean not providing you with what I, we all who sailed paid for. So again Sky was almost no help, then the 2nd time I called on hold again but not as bad as the 1st time to finally speak with Brad whom again had no apologies for the issues they were responsible for and was also less than helpful as well. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that I couldn't they didn't have a supervisor on duty to assist me with anything and I wanted to speak to on I could call back later during peek hours when I should be sleeping because I work the graveyard shift to have to wait on hold for another hour to get to hopefully speak with a supervisor but not guaranteed. I have never been so completely disregarded and treated so unprofessionally in my life. Brad then told me Sky sent an email to the ship and they haven't gotten back to her or they're not getting back to her (really said both) so we dont know anything else right now so they're isn't anything that we can do for you at this current time that's when I was told nope cant talk to a Supervisor either. Even though this the 2nd phone call was on Thursday April 28 2022 which is 6 days later than the 1st phone call I made on Saturday April 22 2022 but just to be nice (even though they aren't) let's call it and say it's been 5 days between the 2 calls. So as of yet with the exception of Sky sending an email to the ship NO one at Royal Caribbean has done anything for 5 days in regard to me being over charged by $150-$200 and they're acting like, ehh whatever! However when they wanted my $4000.00+ for this cruise I didn't have to wait on hold, every one was super helpful and nice but now I'm owed something from them and putting aside any thought of compensation, not taking it into consideration at all regardless if I feel we are due something for having to miss the perfect day at coco cay. I was really and physically overcharged by Royal Caribbean by alot and that is my money I work hard for and to have it just be taken with no explanation or justification for any of the charges is at the very least upsetting. The added frustration I am having because I am not getting any help of any kind from anyone about anything and for Royal Caribbean to be doing nothing at all to help me alleviate this issue that they caused me to have to deal with is not only ridiculous its unprofessional. They say Loyal to Royal but why would I be? They haven't been anywhere near Loyal in anyway to me, in fact they have treated me worse than I've ever been treated by company I didn't work for in my life. I know that this was a long rant (call it what it is) but I need help with not only getting compensation from the cruise line for not going to coco cay but in getting my money refunded back to me they wrongfully took. I'm subscribe to and watch this/your YouTube channel all the time as of recent leading up to my cruise trying to get as much info and help in preparing to disembark as I could but this wasn't covered in the videos and I had already booked with Royal so I didn't know I could still use a travel agent after so please again can you or anyone help me out. This has left a bad taste in my mouth and I was loving my cruise experience until this and it's seriously making me rethink if I'll ever use Royal Caribbean again.  I even waited until yesterday after again receiving no help to do my survey hoping that Royal would redeem themselves and I could say great things about them but nope! Again I need assistance please reach out and give any advice or help you can. Thanks for reading this post and letting me explain to someone what is going on be blessed and have a wonderful life. Yes I posted this else where again please help.

13 minutes ago, teddy said:

I want to read the post and understand, but it’s a giant wall of text.

Paragraphs would help. 

I tried but couldn't finish.

To the OP, did you pre-paid your gratuities? What you're seeing on your final bill may be the gratuities.

As for the missing port, as I understand they refunded your shore excursions and your port taxes.

But I'm just guessing as I couldn't read the whole thing. I suggest a shorter an concise post. 

From what I could read I can say this:

1. Royal doesn't need to compensate you for missing CocoCay. In your cruise contract you can read they can cancel any port at any time and no compensation is due. Granted they sometimes will give you an OBC if you ask nicely, but they don't have to. You take a risk of not hitting your ports when you step on board.

2. I don't know what they charged you for, did you get an itemized folio?  You really have to take care this onboard before you leave. But I would try reaching out to your credit card company. However, as long as Royal can prove the charges to be valid, your card company will allow them to stay.

3. Refunds for cancellations like you described can take 30 business days to process, so that charge may eventually come off.

As a new cruiser you probably didn't know that Royal doesn't owe compensation for an itinerary change, like a missed port.  I do feel for you, as in the old days when we had to tender at Coco Cay, we missed it due to choppy water - the tenders couldn't operate.  Also missed Key West and other ports.

Back to ship charges, if your charges were correct when you disembarked (you should have the receipt they gave you), you can dispute post-disembarkation charges with your credit card company just as you would dispute any erroneous charge. 

There are other blogs that post contact information for cruise line executives, and you could send a short, concise request for correction of charges.   We did that when Royal lost our luggage in Southampton.  It helped.

My first cruise had a few hiccups on day 1, but I didn't have the problems you described.  I wish you well on your next adventure.

If you read the cruise contract you agreed to you will see that you are not owed any compensation for a changed itinerary or missed port. This is with any cruiseline.

Using a travel agent would not of changed this fact but they would of told you this same thing.

If you need a guaranteed place to go then cruising is not for you. Or get travel insurance that covers missed ports. 

If you feel you were overcharged for any reason just dispute it with your credit card company if not getting a satisfying answer from Royal.

Matt really needs to put a character limit on these posts lol

4 hours ago, Rob Sacra said:

To top things off I purchased a beach bed at perfect day i was now not going to be able to use and I was assured by guests services onboard after waiting for 20 to 25 minutes in line that I wouldn't be charged for it and that it had been refunded back to me already so we disembarked the next day and my bill looks about right only then to wake up the next day to find I had been charged another $200+ on 4 separate new charges. If what they charged me was correct then I would have to have spend $650-$700 because I was charged $550+ but I had I $116 credit for the port fee being refunded to me even though I only spent $400+ onboard minus my $116 should be about $300ish. That is about what I had already charged when I disembarked from the ship and then they waited another day to charge me more, the Allure of the Sea was already 2 days into another sailing with a whole new batch of passengers. 

Are you sure this was an actual extra charge? Royal charges all cards used to secure onboard accounts with a pre-authorization amount. Sometimes this pre-authorization amount takes 7-10 business days to fall off.  My credit card statement usually has 3-4 pending charges that show up even after the final charge actually posts.

I feel your pain coming through in your post.  It must have taken quite some time to type that up.
As others have stated, the cruise contract states about ports and non reimburement and they pointed out how to dispute charges.
I would advise if you do any written follow up you do it in a simpler format.

I sailed on Allure of the Seas on April_____ Reservations #(s)
We did not disembark at CoCoCay-I would like a refund      (they did refund you port fees/taxes and that is all you are entitled to)
I have charges on my bill that were not mine, in the amount of $_________  
On April ____ I spoke with (insert name) and was told _____________
I followed up on  (insert date) and spoke with (Insert name) and was told______________
I would like my account examined and a notification of findings.
You can contact me at  (insert email-ensure it is spelled correctly) and include a phone # 

If you did not prepay gratuities they are $14.50 per person per day and that includes boarding day and disembarkation day. So a 7 night cruise is billed as $116 per person.
If you were in a suite, the gratuity is &17.50 per person per day and would be $140 per person.

Please note that Royal does put charges on a Debit/credit card that show as pending  BUT they do drop off.  Keep checking our card to see if that is the case (I have read it can take a week or so)

If you had pool towels that were never returned the cost is $25 per towel.
As others stated above the account is available on the app and it is also on the TV, Royal also delivers the account statement to the cabin the night before disembarkation.  The account should be checked periodically during the cruise to ensure it is accurate and if there is an issue with a charge that doesn't belong you should proceed to Guest Services to report it and have it addressed.

As for the beach bed-was it purchased pre-cruise?  If that is the case it might take some time to be refunded to you. You would be able to see the charge on your credit or debit card.  If it was purchased onboard then it should have been removed immediately.

I threw the post into my voice to text software and made it through the whole thing.  I actually enjoyed it.  I give it an 8 out of 10.  I almost quit during the bit where OP does an impression of the on hold advertisement.  

To summarize, ship was unable to go to CocoCay because " the captain who decided to not take our ship to coco cay".  Port fees were returned and the spa ran a discount to make up for the inconvenience.  The cruise statement was not reconciled and the OP claims there were multiple new charges after the statement was reconciled.  These issues plus lots of time on hold leaves the OP has never been treated so unprofessionally and completely disregarded in their whole life.

I want to feel for the OP but each bump in the road is taken as a personal slap in the face.  Each bump seems to also generate another check in the ax to grind category.  Sure it would be nice to get compensated for missing a KEY port, but it does not always happen and it's not a personal affront.  Welcome to land of cruise lovers, but you've got to go with the flow and not take it all personally.  From here, we all know now NOT to step off the ship until you have a reconciled final statement in your hand and when the spa offers 20% off - go get that deep tissue massage!

Many Years ago (More than I care to mention!)  we missed a port in Cozumel.  The captain actually announced over the intercom that we had a choice.  We could Dock in Cozumel as planned or we could skip it and continue on our Cruise.  He explained that he received a report that the Drug cartel had just killed 7 political figures in the streets and it is currently under military control.  I kid you not,  Some people were upset that the majority of us chose not to dock there.

8 minutes ago, BigKarl said:

Some people were upset that the majority of us chose not to dock there.

How was vote held? Ya/Nay on the pool deck? 

I would have gone ashore. Albeit after many other passengers went first. I mean a cartel member can only carry so many bullets and a cruise ship holds lots of people. Cozumel is not to be missed.

4 hours ago, AlmondFarmer said:

How was vote held? Ya/Nay on the pool deck? 

I would have gone ashore. Albeit after many other passengers went first. I mean a cartel member can only carry so many bullets and a cruise ship holds lots of people. Cozumel is not to be missed.

After we returned from Dinner a nice little towel animal was sitting next to the voting ballot.  We were told to take it to the service desk to be counted.

5 hours ago, XtremeGK said:

On another thread he notes that he was on the Allure sailing that missed CocoCay due to diverting to FLL for a medevac.

I saw that and realized they really want us to be sympathetic or help them as if we are RCG. That being said, if they choose to offer compensation, it is a gesture of goodwill.

At my company we sign NDA's 50% of the time, and I am SHOCKED at how few people actually read these legally binding documents. I always read the fine print on something that will cost me money, time and have possible negative effects on my life. 

Our last cruise (way too long ago 2016), we missed being able to go to Coco Cay due to incoming weather.  I believe at that time they were still tendering you over there.  We ended up doing the same itinerary that we did the year before.  It sucked, we were disappointed, but we were still on a cruise, still having an amazing time and never gave it another thought. 

@Ampurp85, I work for a major van line handling interstate moves, you'd be very surprised by how many people don't read the fine print!  It's usually the ones that don't read the fine print that complain about it afterwards.  

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I saw that and realized they really want us to be sympathetic or help them as if we are RCG. That being said, if they choose to offer compensation, it is a gesture of goodwill.

At my company we sign NDA's 50% of the time, and I am SHOCKED at how few people actually read these legally binding documents. I always read the fine print on something that will cost me money, time and have possible negative effects on my life. 

OP Rob), 

while it’s disappointing to miss a port, if the medical diversion was for you or your family you would be so grateful to have a medical emergency taken so expeditiously and seriously by the Captain.  

your prebooked charges for Coco Cay should be refunded to method of payment. 

Count your blessings you were not the person with the medical emergency. 

12 hours ago, RDU said:

Our last cruise (way too long ago 2016), we missed being able to go to Coco Cay due to incoming weather.  I believe at that time they were still tendering you over there.  We ended up doing the same itinerary that we did the year before.  It sucked, we were disappointed, but we were still on a cruise, still having an amazing time and never gave it another thought. 

@Ampurp85, I work for a major van line handling interstate moves, you'd be very surprised by how many people don't read the fine print!  It's usually the ones that don't read the fine print that complain about it afterwards.  

Everyone is acting like I had some contract that I signed with someone but I booked over the phone by an employee of Royal Caribbean International sales team. There was no mention of any kind by the cruise line to me about what happens if we skip a port. I purchased the travel insurance at the same of course and I asked what happens if we can't make it to our ports then and I was told that's what I had the travel insurance for.

I've never booked a cruise before and I had never been on a cruise of any kind before. I understand that the cruise line has that option to not give any compensation but I specifically asked about it while booking the cruise to be misled by them (hopefully on accident). I also asked about it while onboard at guests services in person after we missed the port. They told me that they couldn't make that decision onboard and that I needed to contact Royal directly to enquire about any compensation after we disembarked the ship at ft Lauderdale.

5 hours ago, Ray said:

The Only thing the OG poster wants to count is the money! 💰💰💰💰 

Thank you so much for your rude, incorrect and extreme judgment about me and on my character. I mean wow. Yes I am upset I spent a bunch of money to take family on a awesome vacation before another one of my sons moves out because hes now almost a grown man like his older brother is now. All i wanted to do was was to take him to do he wanted to do which was go to coco cay. He's a great young man who deserved to go that is why promised I would take him and his younger brother there. 

So I posted here because I was misled by the cruise line employees (I hope on accident) who I did enquired from about this possible type of situation both on the phone while booking the cruise and also in person while onboard the day of. I am only here hoping that if there was anywhere else I could get some kind of help, insight or guidance on how to handle this situation it would be some where like this. Other than waiting around, relying on the cruise line to help me.

I figured I could possibly get the help right here from real experienced cruisers who may have had this problem or something like it. Maybe some other cruisers would have a better insight on it than apparently I do. Wishful thinking they maybe even knew something specific about this specific sailing that could help me.

However apparently a lot of people would rather be inconsiderate of issues other people are struggling with. Leaving half handed comments about how I am or whatever only because I needed some help. While also talking about what I'm doing that is so over the top or if they were me they would have do this so I should have done this too. 

So I'm glad you took the time to comment on this thread about how I only care about the money. So thank you for your kind words and I appreciate all your insights. Be blessed. 

On 4/29/2022 at 4:18 PM, XtremeGK said:

On another thread he notes that he was on the Allure sailing that missed CocoCay due to diverting to FLL for a medevac.

I was on the allure of the sea sailing 16 April to 22 April and yes that is why we missed it. 

9 hours ago, Zurc said:

OP Rob), 

while it’s disappointing to miss a port, if the medical diversion was for you or your family you would be so grateful to have a medical emergency taken so expeditiously and seriously by the Captain.  

your prebooked charges for Coco Cay should be refunded to method of payment. 

Count your blessings you were not the person with the medical emergency. 

I don't disagree with you about that, I was totally understanding of the situation. I didn't throw a fit or get irate onboard, I wasn't rude to anyone about it because I am an adult. I did also speak with guest services onboard the day of the situation and they told me they couldn't do anything about any kind of compensation while onboard I had to wait till I disembarked and contact royal directly. 

In regards to my charges I prepaid all my gratuities prior to sailing and I made my perfect day excursion purchase onboard and they never refunded my money back to my account yet. I just wish I could receive some kind of customer service to have helped me with this instead of having gotten the run around like I have been getting. So I didn't have to post here trying to get some kind of help or guidance from random strangers whom I must say are pretty quick to be rude and judgmental. 

But thank you for your time and the help you have given me. Be blessed. 

1 hour ago, Rob Sacra said:

I don't disagree with you about that, I was totally understanding of the situation. I didn't throw a fit or get irate onboard, I wasn't rude to anyone about it because I am an adult. I did also speak with guest services onboard the day of the situation and they told me they couldn't do anything about any kind of compensation while onboard I had to wait till I disembarked and contact royal directly. 

In regards to my charges I prepaid all my gratuities prior to sailing and I made my perfect day excursion purchase onboard and they never refunded my money back to my account yet. I just wish I could receive some kind of customer service to have helped me with this instead of having gotten the run around like I have been getting. So I didn't have to post here trying to get some kind of help or guidance from random strangers whom I must say are pretty quick to be rude and judgmental. 

But thank you for your time and the help you have given me. Be blessed. 

Oh, then I must apologize.  I misunderstood, and thought you booked the Coco Cay Perfect Day purchase ahead of time in the Cruise Planner online!  That changes things.  

I think there is a post cruise contact - perhaps guest satisfaction or something, whom you can email about not being refunded for the excursion - make sure you advise it was booked onboard. 

Anyone out there have the contact email Rob can use for post-cruise follow up?

Edit:  also if you use Twitter or Social Media - others have had success with a short one or two sentence post about not being for refunded excursion after port missed . Usually the social media group will ask for a DM with your cruise booking number to follow up.

Edited by Zurc
Added

5 hours ago, Rob Sacra said:

Thank you so much for your rude, incorrect and extreme judgment about me and on my character. 

How can it be incorrect when you said " but I need help with not only getting compensation from the cruise line"? 

in fact you mention wanting compensation FIVE times during your intial post! So im not incorrect when i say its about money because 5 times you tell us you want compensated and me pointing this out isnt being rude or judgemental its just saying it how it was read! 

• Matt locked this topic