Solo Cruises

dantuck

Fell in love with cruising on RCCL in 1979 on Sun Viking and have been fortunate enough to sail many times with family and friends (usually wife, kids, and grandkids).  Have been on all classes of RCCL ships but not for about 8 years.  Diamond level and want to do more cruising on RCCL but it's just me now.  What can you recommend for solo cruising?  Best ship? Best itinerary? Etc.?  Love Scuba whenever possible.  Can't wait to go again.

With a love of scuba diving I would be looking at Caribbean itineraries. Every cruise I go on I try and do at least 1 or 2 days diving and always found the excursion well run (Obviously with Scuba diving some times it gets cancelled by whether but better to not dive than have adverse conditions create dangerous conditions.

As far as solo traveling… as ellcee said the wonderful thing is the choice is yours. On the smaller ships you might get to know the crew a little better which could be nice while the bigger ships there is so much to do.

Whatever cruise you do I hope you have an amazing time.

I sailed a lot solo during and before the restart. I think certain attributes will be personal as what is "best." It is all about how you make things. Although I am tired of St. Maarten and Nassau, a great ship can make it the best even with that itinerary. Traveling solo means you can snorkel for hours, eat when you want, not have to wait or deal with other people's moods. You can chat up soon to be friends or spend your time reading in random places about the ship. Plus, as a solo person, you often get to do a lot more things because they only have to accommodate one of you.

The best solo cruise is every one of them.  

I mostly cruise solo.  Family and friends don't have my flexibility so I decided a long time ago I'm not going to sit at home waiting for them. 

However best for you may be to try to find the rare cruises that have reduced solo supplements.  They are out there and mostly for interior or oceanview cabins but if you can't find them you'll be paying 200% base cruise fare until your reach 340 points in the Crown and Anchor society.  That point level is a game changer for solo cruisers so if you plan to cruise solo often, set your sights on attaining 340 points.   

My last 2 cruises have been shorter solo cruises, 4 and 5 nighters and I absolutely love them. You get to do what you want when you want and for me that included a lot of reading. Between the 2 cruises I read 5 books which I never have time to do at home or when I'm sailing with friends and family. Made for a really relaxing trip. Just what vacation should be! 

I've done solo land based trips and roadtrips and really enjoy them. I could easily see myself doing a long transatlantic or Hawaii cruise solo and not have any qualms about it. 

I can't recommend a ship or itinerary, I think any time away is a good time, solo or not!
I will say look for a facebook group for your sailng (or create one) and there is a list of ships on these message boards-to connect with other passengers. You might consider creating an event on the page-solo get together first day-pick a bar and time, maybe a snorkel group etc.
Enjoy!