First Day On Board - Must Do's and Should Do's

On 4/28/2022 at 5:22 PM, smokeybandit said:

Get a virgin daquiri or mudslide. Gotta celebrate!

Right, so I googled these and they look amazing. But they're not on any of the bar menus on the app and, for obvious reasons, I'm not familiar with the bars on board. So... are there any particular bars where I might have a good chance of finding someone that knows how to do the non-alcoholic versions? 

6 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Right, so I googled these and they look amazing. But they're not on any of the bar menus on the app and, for obvious reasons, I'm not familiar with the bars on board. So... are there any particular bars where I might have a good chance of finding someone that knows how to do the non-alcoholic versions? 

Any bar that would make frozen alcoholic drinks (probably just about any) can make non alcoholic versions of them

18 minutes ago, BnB93 said:

Drink, eat, sleep... Repeat 🙂

If we did those things in that order without having done some of the other stuff, we would probably miss out on specialty dining reservations, shows, etc.  Can't do that first. 

We can however make reservations while eating, tour the ship while drinking, and probably sleep during the adventure ocean orientation/open house/registration. 🤣

On 4/28/2022 at 11:11 AM, smokeybandit said:

This should be #1 for everyone (including getting an NA drink for those who don't drink alcohol)

My boarding time is 11:00 AM on Ovation on the 13th of May.  I hope to have a serious buzz on by 11:15 AM.  If not, I'm doing something wrong.  All times local and estimated! 😀

46 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

My boarding time is 11:00 AM on Ovation on the 13th of May.  I hope to have a serious buzz on by 11:15 AM.  If not, I'm doing something wrong.  All times local and estimated! 😀

Pre party in the parking lot! One need not wait to be on the ship.

50 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

The mini group cruise needed to happen 10 years ago. I have three too many kids and a rusty liver now. 

But back in the day……..

20 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

I feel ya , I got two young ones of my own but I still get after it from time to time. #deluxebeveragepackage

I'm 70yoa and feeling like I'm 69.9 yao.  So, ya, I'm ready to party, just as soon as you get me up from my afternoon nap.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 9:36 PM, Clover18 said:

If you are in a suite or even a junior suite go directly to Coastal Kitchen and book your dinners for the week. We were in. Jr. On odyssey and ate thee every night because we booked as soon as we boarded. 

If you are on a JS on Odyssey you have to make your reservations for CK every day or you can do all of them in the first day?

2 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

If you are on a JS on Odyssey you have to make your reservations for CK every day or you can do all of them in the first day?

YMMV, with lower capacity they were allowing JS pax to book nightly dinners for the week on some ships. I would say that now that they are sailing closer to capacity it will be a daily thing. 

• 1 month later...

My wife and I cruised Mariner of the Seas 9-14 Dec 2021 out of Port Canaveral (first saltwater cruise and first cruise on a "real" cruise line).  I watched Matt's video about the things you should do on sailaway day and we did a few of the suggestions (drink in the tiki lounge, helipad for castoff/line handling, and a couple of others), they were all pretty good.  One thing I'd suggest is worth considering is watching the harbor pilot transfer from the ship to the harbor pilot boat once you clear the harbor.  I thought it was pretty neat to watch the little boat maneuvering into formation with Mariner, then pulling right alongside so the harbor pilot can catch a ride back for his/her next "gig."

Sure, there are other more exciting things to do (we checked out the Flowrider and did the walking tour of the ship as well), but this might be worth considering, especially in a small harbor like Port Canaveral where you are in the open ocean within 10-15 minutes of leaving the pier.  Next time we cruise with RCL, I'll have to actually try the Flowrider and probably the water slide, too!

Philip