First Day On Board - Must Do's and Should Do's

What are your first day on board must and should do's? 

I will start it off....Grab your free crown and anchor charm.  

(Not talking about standard stuff like Muster Drill, Check-in, yada yada...)

Bonus Question: Is the free stuff like the "Vacation Starter Pack" worth the time?  Is there some sort of presentation you have to sit through like a time share presentation type deal?

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This should be #1 for everyone (including getting an NA drink for those who don't drink alcohol)

Think I might try this. As non-drinkers, on our last cruise we didn't manage to use up all our D vouchers, so are going to have to try harder this time round! 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

This should be #1 for everyone (including getting an NA drink for those who don't drink alcohol)

I don't drink alcohol at all, and this is my first mission!

We also tried the hot tub when we first got on this last trip, and it was a great filler between embarking and rooms being ready 

17 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Get food after that drink?

(I can't be the only one in a hurry to gain 10 lbs. on a cruise).

I'm more likely to hit the gym so that I can eat as much as I like without having to worry about the weight gain! Can you say two desserts in the WJ at lunch and another two in the MDR at dinner? 😆

25 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I'm more likely to hit the gym so that I can eat as much as I like without having to worry about the weight gain! Can you say two desserts in the WJ at lunch and another two in the MDR at dinner? 😆

What is this GYM you speak of?

I go on a diet for about 4 weeks before ever 7-night cruise and then gain it all back in those 8 days.

Two desserts? Pssh... I have early sit down dinner with family in MDR/CK/wherever and then have my 2nd dinner later in the WJ! 😋

4 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

What are your first day on board must and should do's? 

I will start it off....Grab your free crown and anchor charm.  

(Not talking about standard stuff like Muster Drill, Check-in, yada yada...)

Bonus Question: Is the free stuff like the "Vacation Starter Pack" worth the time?  Is there some sort of presentation you have to sit through like a time share presentation type deal?

Uhhh Grab my what now?!

Also.. my first thing....find out when the karaoke is!

I'm maybe an over planner, so I already have a list of boring stuff to do when I get on. We booked a package through Costco that included a free specialty dinner and a free spa experience, so we want to run to Wonderland and the spa to make those reservations. We also have a question about an excursion we booked and the reps on the phone haven't been a huge help so we want to stop by the excursion desk before it gets busy and get everything straightened out. I think we also want to make sure the correct credit card is linked to our SeaPass so we might want to stop by guest services before that gets too busy as well. We're sailing out of Seattle on the Quantum so we would also love to run to the top deck and get on that before there is a line because we might get a nice view of the city. Maybe after all of that we can finally sit back and get lunch. Hopefully while we're upstairs the Solarium Bistro will be open. And of course reserve other North Star times, a Rip Cord time, and show reservations on the app.

We never do anything fun. We muster, get our reservations done, get a little something to eat and as soon as the room is available, we get there and unload. The exception is when we have friends coming in from various areas of the country on the same cruise and we will try to meet up asap. 

Though it seems that the consensus is to grab a drink and food first, and that is what we will likely do, there is so much that needs to be done on the first day lol.

We have 2 kids and will have to attend the Adventure Ocean Open House/Registration at 2 different times.  We need to make all of our dining resos.  We need to book shows. There are at least 2 free gift giveaways at 2 separate times.  

Step one for us is always head to the windjammer; and enjoy that first onboard meal with the group.

I always wear a swimming short to ride the flowrider as early as i can (Early first day is always a good time to skip the lines, stand up flowrider is usually empty.. good tip if you want to try it!). Worst first day times for me are usually betweeen 4-5:30PM when everyone's around and ship gets crowded. At dinner time it gets pretty much back to normal; if your next day is a sea day i'd go for a Jacuzzi relax night; or gambling a couple rounds at the blackjack $10 table :)! 

34 minutes ago, catrinem said:

It's funny this comes in my feed as I was watching a video about embarkation day.

I am an extra planner so I really appreciated the video!

Ugh...Am I the only one who thinks he looks like the guy from The Hills Have Eyes? Apologies but I cant watch his videos...

image.jpeg.09b4e09aadfb77436258b482f9c63c72.jpeg

16 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

I like paella, and my experience is that Windjammer only offers this Day 1.   So I look for it at lunch, if the Windjammer isn't too crowded.

On the smaller/medium vessels, we make sure to see the opening show and "meet" the Cruise Director.

OOH! That's a good one to know! I love paella!

OP, another item to mention....If you are on a ship where you need to book things, then it's good to book as soon as you can in case it fills up.  This can include shows, any dining, etc.  Also for ships where you need to book activities, such as on Anthem.  We booked iFly and North Star right away.  Some were disappointed who waited and couldn't get a spot later in the week (the free one or pay option).  We also booked bumper cards early in the week, and then we were able to book it again for a second time.

40 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

OP, another item to mention....If you are on a ship where you need to book things, then it's good to book as soon as you can in case it fills up.  This can include shows, any dining, etc.  Also for ships where you need to book activities, such as on Anthem.  We booked iFly and North Star right away.  Some were disappointed who waited and couldn't get a spot later in the week (the free one or pay option).  We also booked bumper cards early in the week, and then we were able to book it again for a second time.

Yes. Northstar definitely.  Same with the other activities.  Do you have to reserve time slots for Bumper Cars? I did not know that.

51 minutes ago, Colombia20102018 said:

One of the first things I do is to grab a paper copy of the cruise compass to see what else is there that the app is not showing

Absolutely....OR.....keep asking members here to post most recent Compass (for Ovation of the Seas Alaska 2022) and print it out beforehand.  C'mon guys, I am working off of a 2019 Compass....Help me out! 🤣