ArriveCan?

on the royal website:

ArriveCAN: All travelers to Canada, or their legal guardians, must download the ArriveCAN app or complete the mandatory travel information via the ArriveCAN website prior to your entry into Canada. This applies whether you are departing on your cruise from Canada, ending your cruise in Canada, or visiting the country as a port of call. We are working with the Canadian government to make this process easier for guests arriving by cruise ship, and will ensure guests have guidance to complete this process smoothly onboard.

it appears everyone needs to fill it out because the ship will be in canada waters

28 minutes ago, shof515 said:

on the royal website:

ArriveCAN: All travelers to Canada, or their legal guardians, must download the ArriveCAN app or complete the mandatory travel information via the ArriveCAN website prior to your entry into Canada. This applies whether you are departing on your cruise from Canada, ending your cruise in Canada, or visiting the country as a port of call. We are working with the Canadian government to make this process easier for guests arriving by cruise ship, and will ensure guests have guidance to complete this process smoothly onboard.

it appears everyone needs to fill it out because the ship will be in canada waters

I appreciate your answer, I really do.  I did go to the website and read that very paragraph.  It still leaves me with the question.

If I don't step foot on Canadian proper, if I stay on the ship which is a foreign flag vessel, I legally haven't entered or processed into Canada, I have no need to go through Canada's customs and border control kiosks/process, which is not on the ship.  I will not and can not infect Canada with anything if I stay on the ship.

If I fly from Seattle to London, I'll be flying over Canadian Air, but I haven't put my body on Canadian soil.  Do I need to fill out an ArriveCan form to fly over Canada?  If I land in Toronto to pick-up and/or drop-off other passengers, do I need to fill out the form if I don't get off of the aircraft? 

shof515, I'm not arguing with you and not necessarily asking you all the questions. 

Because I don't plan on going ashore while dockside in Victoria, I don't think I need to give Canada any of my information. 

8 minutes ago, shof515 said:

There is this same argument with Bermuda and their Travel Authorization process which is similar to Canada Arrivecan. For Bermuda cruises, everyone has to fill out a application even if you dont get off the ship. Canada might have similar requirements requiring everyone submitting this

Yep, and Bermuda also charges $40.00 to get the form.  

ArriveCan requires to set-up an account.  

7 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

I think since the only information you can find on the RC website is too open ended, I'd message them on Twitter with your reservation info and question. I find them very good at answering questions or finding out the answers to questions they don't know the immediate answer to. 

This is the only Social Media that I do.  Well, I do a couple political sites.  I think I opened a Twitter account when it first started but I don't think I ever used it.

Thanks though!  

BTW, just to be clear, I don't blame Royal for any of this.  I do wish they would be more clear about it, IF THEY CAN.  Who knows what the Canadian government has told them or hasn't told them.  The Canadian website sure isn't chock full of information, that's for sure.

We are Americans traveling to Alaska from Vancouver. We need the ArriveCAN app to enter in Calgary (first Canadian stop). Obviously, we have to meet US requirements, testing etc, to get back into US on the return flight. However, there was also a message about clearing US immigration at the port before we get on the ship, since it is going to Alaska. I’m just wondering if you will need to pre-clear for Canada when your ship leaves Seattle, since it will eventually be in Canada. Or do they check passports etc when people get off in Victoria?

48 minutes ago, CruiseMom82 said:

We are Americans traveling to Alaska from Vancouver. We need the ArriveCAN app to enter in Calgary (first Canadian stop). Obviously, we have to meet US requirements, testing etc, to get back into US on the return flight. However, there was also a message about clearing US immigration at the port before we get on the ship, since it is going to Alaska. I’m just wondering if you will need to pre-clear for Canada when your ship leaves Seattle, since it will eventually be in Canada. Or do they check passports etc when people get off in Victoria?

The US is attempting to pre-clear guests before they board their flight or ship as a means to try to catch people who don't qualify for entry into the US before they arrive on US soil.  Most Canadian airports have US pre-clearance as you noted for flights bound for America. The Canada Place cruise terminal has US pre-clearance just like many Canadian airports do.  For the US to do this requires that US CBP officials are stationed in foreign countries and they have secure areas with connectivity to validate traveler ID, passports and VISAs.  It's almost like they have established a small area of the US in a foreign country, sort of like an embassy is.

When boarding a cruise in Seattle the US isn't pre-clearing travelers since those travelers are already in the US.

Canada does not have pre-clearance in other countries.  It's not insignificant to establish the presence required in a foreign country to be able to do pre-clearance.  For the US they consider it worth it since there are so many people trying to gain entry into the US.  It's much better to catch ineligible travelers on foreign soil as opposed to dealing with them once a plane or ship has arrived and placed that person on US soil.  Canada doesn't have the same level of potential ineligible travelers to make it worth the effort and expense of placing Canadian CBSA agents in Seattle.

Traditionally what Canada has done is receive the manifest of guests from the ship with their immigration details so they can pre-clear nearly everyone ahead of time before the ship has even arrived.  There may be some names that warrant a face-to-face meeting and they may process some crew face-to-face depending on nationality as the ship arrives into Victoria but for the most part the process will be no different compared to arriving in a Caribbean port when sailing the Caribbean.  Once Canada has officially cleared the ship the ship will announce that everyone is clear to leave the ship.

In 2022 it's not clear yet how Canada will inspect ArriveCAN forms in Victoria.  The ArriveCAN app is new and was never a requirement before.  Will they leverage the small building near the port gates and manually inspect everyone?  We don't know yet.

Is Canada one of the places that requires everyone take a Royal excursion to get off the ship, or can guests come and go at their own will / take private excursions? If the later, I would think the completing the ArriveCan step is not optional. While you currently have no intent of leaving the ship, there is nothing else stopping you from deciding at the last minute to change your mind. 

41 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Is Canada one of the places that requires everyone take a Royal excursion to get off the ship, or can guests come and go at their own will / take private excursions? If the later, I would think the completing the ArriveCan step is not optional. While you currently have no intent of leaving the ship, there is nothing else stopping you from deciding at the last minute to change your mind. 

Canada does not require bubble excursions, you are free to self explore.

For cruises from Seattle it's not clear to me yet how the ArriveCAN app will be matched to each guest.  They could match the app to each guest based on their passport or ID # then they would know who hasn't completed it ahead of time or they could inspect each guest on the pier while getting off in Victoria.  Time will tell.  

@1st Mate I have had the exact same questions. I'm going from Seattle to Alaska and have no intentions of getting off in Victoria. This ArriveCan process adds just one more hoop to jump through. We're not cruising till June so hopefully there will be better clarification of the cruise ship process. 

1 hour ago, KevinJ said:

@1st Mate I have had the exact same questions. I'm going from Seattle to Alaska and have no intentions of getting off in Victoria. This ArriveCan process adds just one more hoop to jump through. We're not cruising till June so hopefully there will be better clarification of the cruise ship process. 

Well, I emailed my TA last night, asked the question(s) and woke up to her answer waiting on me.  Keep in mind, I did ask for an official/authoritative/documented answer, this is what I got:

Hey Jay I can tell u everyone will have to fill it out even if u don’t get off . They cant keep track of the info of who is staying on and off so u must do it. I hope that helps 

Carleen XXXXXXXX

Senior Expert Agent

I work Monday-Friday from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm eastern time

As you can see, it didn't have any quote/link/nothing.  This is typical of my TA company though.  As someone suggested, ask Royal Caribbean in Twitter.  I restarted my account that I've never used and asked Royal in Twitter.  I'll let you know if/when I get an answer.

BTW, this is my question to her:

Here’s a good one for ya: 

As you know, we have a cruise booked for May 13, 2022, Seattle/Alaska/Canada on the Ovation of the seas, with a stop in Victoria, Canada. 

I just found out that Royal Caribbean says that we (passengers) will have to complete/fill out a Canadian form called the ArriveCan form prior to arrival in Victoria.  

I have a question that I need an answer to and I need it to be an authoritative/documented answer, preferably from Royal Caribbean.  Here’s the question:  If I have no intention of getting off of the ship (don’t intend to put one foot in Canada, not going through their Customs/Border/Immigration kiosks which are not on the ship, they are on land) do I need to complete the form, which requires initiating an account with the Canadian Government.  I have NO desire to give my personal information to the government of Canada, especially if I am not intending on putting foot in their country.  (BTW, I’m originally Canadian, born in Montreal.  I love my former country, I just don’t trust the current government).  

Will Royal not let me on the ship if I don’t fill out the form?  What is the process.  If Royal lets me on the ship but I don’t have the form when we arrive in Canada, will the Canadian Government send in their border police and take me away?  

Inquiring minds want to know!

@1st Mate I had asked my TA, he said they were telling all their clients to fill it out. I sort of agree that they would have no way of tracking who had filled it out or not. I'm not even sure how they tell if you've done it prior to boarding? Is this just another document we'll have to present?

14 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

@1st Mate I had asked my TA, he said they were telling all their clients to fill it out. I sort of agree that they would have no way of tracking who had filled it out or not. I'm not even sure how they tell if you've done it prior to boarding? Is this just another document we'll have to present?

Yes, it is a document that you can print or just have in the app on your mobile device.  But, before you get to the document, you have to register an account with the Canadian Government just to complete the document.  Supposedly, the Canadian Government is going to verify your Jab record????????  

I just sent my TA another email letting her know that she did not comply with my question/request and that I asked for some kind of official authoritative documentation.  We'll see.  I know I'm pissing her off.  But, that's Okay.  She and her company have made a lot of money off of me/my group and we are actually very easy to please, believe it or not.

Looks like I'm going to have to call the number on the ArriveCan website and ask and request a document or link be emailed to me.  I'll post what I get here. 

close-royal.svgtriangle-warning-royal.svg

Be ready to board
Review our health and safety protocols.

When I went to 'View boarding pass/ edit check in.  This 'be ready to board' window popped up with vaccination, precruise testing etc.  and at the bottom it states 'visit our health center"....

For our Radiance cruise, it clearly states that ArriveCan is required.   For those leaving from Seattle, is it also there?

I agree that I would rather not give any information to Canada.

28 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

Yes, it is a document that you can print or just have in the app on your mobile device.  But, before you get to the document, you have to register an account with the Canadian Government just to complete the document.  Supposedly, the Canadian Government is going to verify your Jab record????????  

I just sent my TA another email letting her know that she did not comply with my question/request and that I asked for some kind of official authoritative documentation.  We'll see.  I know I'm pissing her off.  But, that's Okay.  She and her company have made a lot of money off of me/my group and we are actually very easy to please, believe it or not.

Looks like I'm going to have to call the number on the ArriveCan website and ask and request a document or link be emailed to me.  I'll post what I get here. 

I took a quick look at the travel.gc.ca website and this is what it states as of today:

Vaccination and testing requirements for Canada

To board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada, if you’re 12 years of age, or older, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with very few exceptions.

• Note: many cruise lines require vaccination for children 5 years and older.

If you’re entering Canada to board a cruise ship:

• you’re required to use ArriveCAN prior to boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land and you may be selected to take an arrival test
  • if you’re entering Canada as part of an excursion during the cruise, you won’t be selected for arrival testing

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

• in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada
  • in Canada

I just called the number in the ArriveCan website and I actually talked to someone there and he says that the document MUST be completed even though you may not get off the ship.  That's funny because their website actually says that:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Travellers who are transiting through Canada to another country (and aren't leaving the secure area at the airport) don't need to submit their information through ArriveCAN.

So, if I'm flying, and make a stop in Montreal, for example, I can get off of the plain, walk around the secure portions of the terminal, have social intercourse with others and get back on A plane and not have the form.  But, if I don't get off of a ship, don't leave the metal confines of a ship, don't have social intercourse with any Canadians that aren't part of the cruise experience, I'm a threat.  Makes no sense.  But, that's a discussion for another site at another time.

Now, I've got to make a decision.  Go or not.  BTW, I'm not blaming Royal for this.  Not at all.

The same website says:

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

It's going to be interesting to see if Royal asks to see the document before boarding the ship.  If they don't, if I don't get off, is the Canadian government going to come on the ship to retrieve me or the document!  This could get interesting.

13 hours ago, Peter D said:

If Royal Caribbean allows you to get on the ship without it, then I would expect you do not need it if you are not leaving the ship in Canada.  

I agree.  We are sailing AK and currently, it is reported that, like many other cruise lines, RCI will require the ArriveCAN to be filled out prior to embarkation. 

They are on the test sailing of Ovation, so hopefully someone will post on that thread on CC just for this.  If we have to do this, I will delete the app and info as soon as our sailing is done, since I won't use it again.

OP, I will update here if I see that they were requiring it to embark.

12 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

I took a quick look at the travel.gc.ca website and this is what it states as of today:

Vaccination and testing requirements for Canada

To board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada, if you’re 12 years of age, or older, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with very few exceptions.

• Note: many cruise lines require vaccination for children 5 years and older.

If you’re entering Canada to board a cruise ship:

• you’re required to use ArriveCAN prior to boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land and you may be selected to take an arrival test
  • if you’re entering Canada as part of an excursion during the cruise, you won’t be selected for arrival testing

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

• in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada
  • in Canada

Well, until just a few minutes ago, that was still an open ended question:  "in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada".  What needed to be answered, if you are on a foreign flagged vessel and you never put one foot on Canadian soil, have you legally/officially entered Canada.  

But, I guess I got my answer, we have to fill out the form before even entering Canadian waters.  But, I can fly into Canada, get off the plane, walk around the secure portions of the terminal, get right back on A plane and not have to have the form.  Imagine that!

17 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

Well, until just a few minutes ago, that was still an open ended question:  "in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada".  What needed to be answered, if you are on a foreign flagged vessel and you never put one foot on Canadian soil, have you legally/officially entered Canada.  

But, I guess I got my answer, we have to fill out the form before even entering Canadian waters.  But, I can fly into Canada, get off the plane, walk around the secure portions of the terminal, get right back on A plane and not have to have the form.  Imagine that!

Yes, that appears to be what the current rules are.  I suppose the rules are different for the arriving by land/arriving by cruise ship because there is control over who leaves the airplane and where they can go/not go but it would be a huge undertaking to try to set up same parameters for say a one day port stop from a cruise ship.  As you know, the "rules" change constantly so perhaps things will change to make it not necessary to complete ArriveCan for cruise ship passengers.

8 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

Yes, that appears to be what the current rules are.  I suppose the rules are different for the arriving by land/arriving by cruise ship because there is control over who leaves the airplane and where they can go/not go but it would be a huge undertaking to try to set up same parameters for say a one day port stop from a cruise ship.  As you know, the "rules" change constantly so perhaps things will change to make it not necessary to complete ArriveCan for cruise ship passengers.

I disagree, in fact, there is more control getting off a ship than an airplane.  When you get off a ship, they DO scan your card that can have alerts/restrictions placed upon it, if I don't have the proper form, I don't get off, period.  When arriving at an airport, they don't scan anything when you walk off the plane, not that I've experienced.  You don't go through any security unless you leave the secure area and then again when you try to enter again.  

There is NO form to fill out verifying that I'm not carrying any illegal substances into the country. It's the law!  If found that I'm carrying an illegal substance, I'm liable to be charged and imprisoned for doing so.  The same can be said about the form, if I enter Canada and I don't have the legally required forms, including the ArriveCan form, and I'm caught without it, I'm liable to be charged and imprisoned for doing so.  

I sure hope your last sentence is right.  

8 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

I disagree, in fact, there is more control getting off a ship than an airplane.  When you get off a ship, they DO scan your card that can have alerts/restrictions placed upon it, if I don't have the proper form, I don't get off, period.  When arriving at an airport, they don't scan anything when you walk off the plane, not that I've experienced.  You don't go through any security unless you leave the secure area and then again when you try to enter again.  

There is NO form to fill out verifying that I'm not carrying any illegal substances into the country. It's the law!  If found that I'm carrying an illegal substance, I'm liable to be charged and imprisoned for doing so.  The same can be said about the form, if I enter Canada and I don't have the legally required forms, including the ArriveCan form, and I'm caught without it, I'm liable to be charged and imprisoned for doing so.  

I sure hope your last sentence is right.  

I simply meant when a ship docks for a day the idea is to get people off the ship and onto enjoying their day in the port.  It would be a huge undertaking to be monitoring who does and who does not have their ArriveCan completed.  

9 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

I simply meant when a ship docks for a day the idea is to get people off the ship and onto enjoying their day in the port.  It would be a huge undertaking to be monitoring who does and who does not have their ArriveCan completed.  

Yes, I understand that.   But, they scan your card, they scan everybodies card as you get off.  If they require you to have the ArriveCan at check-in if you intend to get off the ship when going ashore in Canada, that info can be loaded into the system and a "red flag" pops up when exiting, if you try to get off and don't have the proper documentation.  It doesn't require any more time, effort, or personnel.  That's all I'm saying.

But, you know, all the discussion in here won't change a thing, it is what it is.  This dead horse has been beat enough.  

Well they "could" identify who has the proper documents by having them "attached" to the sea pass card. However, that would require an IT change. Based on how well their IT has handled other changes I shudder to think of all the snags they would create. :):)

I just completed creating our ArriveCan account, this probably ensures that I won't need it by June 🙂

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

This was posted on the Alaska forum over on CC:

image.png.7093ac4fc3b1a01c67bb2ac05b4de103.png

Is that the "Test Cruise"?  If I'm not mistaken, that cruise ends in Vancouver, BC.  Which means that they WILL, all of them, be getting off the ship and their feet will be on Canadian soil.  I fully understand that.  The cruise I'm on starts in Seattle and ends in Seattle.  I'll never touch Canadian soil.  If it is a closed loop cruise (Seattle to Seattle) cruise, it is what it is.

2 hours ago, 1st Mate said:

Welcome to Canada and the rules that make zero sense! This is what Canadians have been dealing with since March 2020.

43 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

The cruise I'm on starts in Seattle and ends in Seattle.  I'll never touch Canadian soil.  If it is a closed loop cruise (Seattle to Seattle) cruise, it is what it is.

When a ship enters the water of any nation anywhere in the world that ship is under the jurisdiction of that nation.  A cruise ship approaching a port of any nation requests permission to enter that nation.  The master of the vessel is required to communicate any diseases on board and the nation will either approve or reject their application to enter the country.  Once approved and once the ship sails into port you are now in that country even when floating.  You are not required to touch dirt to be considered in that country.

Staying on the ship does not make you exempt from their jurisdiction over you.  For example, if you commited a crime on the ship, local laws apply and the local police have fully authority over you.  The court and laws of that nation apply while you are on board even if you never step off the ship.  

Canada has communicated to all cruise lines that no guest shall be allowed to board a ship destined for or with a stop in Canada who has not completed the ArriveCAN process.  Royal will not let you board in Seattle if you do not have an ArriveCAN code for your visit to Canada.  It doesn't matter what you intend to do while you are in Canada including never leaving the ship.  You will not be allowed to board in Seattle without ArriveCAN completed.  

19 hours ago, shof515 said:

on the royal website:

I can understand embarkation or debarkation at a Canadian port but I wouldn't think it would be necessary for a port of call when someone is not going to get off the ship. 

10 minutes ago, Toby said:

I can understand embarkation or debarkation at a Canadian port but I wouldn't think it would be necessary for a port of call when someone is not going to get off the ship. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

When a ship enters the water of any nation anywhere in the world that ship is under the jurisdiction of that nation.

As Twangster stated once a ship enters within the 12 mile Canadian territorial waters the crew and passengers are subject to Canadian laws.

Especially when that same ship is tied up to the cruise ship terminal at Victoria.

19 minutes ago, rbdavis3591 said:

As Twangster stated once a ship enters within the 12 mile Canadian territorial waters the crew and passengers are subject to Canadian laws.

Especially when that same ship is tied up to the cruise ship terminal at Victoria.

I was trying apply logic to legislation and I forgot that is rarely possible.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

When a ship enters the water of any nation anywhere in the world that ship is under the jurisdiction of that nation.  A cruise ship approaching a port of any nation requests permission to enter that nation.  The master of the vessel is required to communicate any diseases on board and the nation will either approve or reject their application to enter the country.  Once approved and once the ship sails into port you are now in that country even when floating.  You are not required to touch dirt to be considered in that country.

Staying on the ship does not make you exempt from their jurisdiction over you.  For example, if you commited a crime on the ship, local laws apply and the local police have fully authority over you.  The court and laws of that nation apply while you are on board even if you never step off the ship.  

Canada has communicated to all cruise lines that no guest shall be allowed to board a ship destined for or with a stop in Canada who has not completed the ArriveCAN process.  Royal will not let you board in Seattle if you do not have an ArriveCAN code for your visit to Canada.  It doesn't matter what you intend to do while you are in Canada including never leaving the ship.  You will not be allowed to board in Seattle without ArriveCAN completed.  

You went through all of that for what?  To agree with me?  If you read all, you'd see that I said:  "Well, until just a few minutes ago, that was still an open ended question".  You'll also not that I talked to the Canadian Government and they told me that no matter what, if you come ashore or not, the form must be completed AND at the the end of what YOU quoted I said, "it is what it is".

You'll also note if you read everything in this thread, that I never said Canada didn't have the right, the legality or anything like that.  I did point out in so many words how inconsistent or foolish the law was and easy ways to accomplish the same thing without adding to the governmental bureaucracy.  But, you do you and I'll do me.  I just happen to dislike giving my personal information to foreign governments, especially if I'm not putting one foot on their property.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, 10-42 said:

I appreciate your answer, I really do.  I did go to the website and read that very paragraph.  It still leaves me with the question.

If I don't step foot on Canadian proper, if I stay on the ship which is a foreign flag vessel, I legally haven't entered or processed into Canada, I have no need to go through Canada's customs and border control kiosks/process, which is not on the ship.  I will not and can not infect Canada with anything if I stay on the ship.

If I fly from Seattle to London, I'll be flying over Canadian Air, but I haven't put my body on Canadian soil.  Do I need to fill out an ArriveCan form to fly over Canada?  If I land in Toronto to pick-up and/or drop-off other passengers, do I need to fill out the form if I don't get off of the aircraft? 

shof515, I'm not arguing with you and not necessarily asking you all the questions. 

Because I don't plan on going ashore while dockside in Victoria, I don't think I need to give Canada any of my information. 

All cruise passengers  with  canadian port (Victoria, Vancouver, Prince Rupert)  on itinary must complete arrivecan before check in the ship, no matter they disembark or not... sorry for my english, not sure it is clear.  «

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada»