Alaska The Key Canceled

Just received the following email:

Dear Guest,

We have an important change to share with you regarding your purchase of The Key.

As we continue to evaluate the program while returning it to service across our fleet, we regret to inform you we will be unable to offer The Key onboard Ovation of the Seas during your cruise and your reservation has been cancelled.

We know how much time and planning goes into a vacation, and we're very sorry for any inconvenience caused by this last-minute change. We've issued a full refund of The Key to your original form of payment, and you should see it reflected within 30 business days. On top of your refund, we're also providing you with a $50 USD non-refundable Onboard Credit per person to use anywhere onboard, such as in one of our Specialty Dining venues, in the Vitality Spa, and more!

Thank you for your understanding. We're wishing you a wonderful sailing and are looking forward to welcoming you onboard soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

33 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Someone purchases The Key on a Cruise Planner Sale. 

Then, two weeks before your cruise RC cancel it, so now you're stuck with paying almost the same as the Key for only having the internet package because all the prices have gone up.

Nice done!

I didn't even think about that.  Interesting.  Interesting indeed!

I'm not saying that this is acceptable as a replacement for something that you have planned on, paid for, and was looking forward to.  But, they are going to refund and give you a $50.00 OBC if you had pre-purchased the Key.  But, they say the "refund" could take up to 30 days to be seen back on your C.C.  You'll probably be back home by the time you see the refund.  

6 minutes ago, rbdavis3591 said:

How many Key guest would there be on the Quantum class ships?

Couple hundred I'd guess per ship.

My guess is it could be a logistical issue, but I really don't know. But since it's the first sailing back, it wouldn't surprise me to hear it.

20 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

I'm not saying that this is acceptable as a replacement for something that you have planned on, paid for, and was looking forward to.  But, they are going to refund and give you a $50.00 OBC if you had pre-purchased the Key.  But, they say the "refund" could take up to 30 days to be seen back on your C.C.  You'll probably be back home by the time you see the refund.  

The 30 days are business days which means the refund could show up as late as June 7th.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Couple hundred I'd guess per ship.

My guess is it could be a logistical issue, but I really don't know. But since it's the first sailing back, it wouldn't surprise me to hear it.

I don't know if this makes a difference but, the May 13th cruise is the second cruise for Ovation for the Alaskan season.  First from Seattle, though.  Would that make a difference logistically?  I don't know.  The first sailing for Ovation Alaskan cruise is from Vancouver.  Do they even sell "The Key" on cruises from Vancouver?  I don't know. 

I am looking at The Key and cannot justify the cost/benefit.  Two of us for The Key is $588 ($42/pp/d).  Voom Surf +stream is $189 ($27/day - 1 device).  That means I am paying $399 for the other stuff.

Both of us are in our mid 60s, so no rock wall climbing, no flow rider surfing (although I grew up in a Florida beach community and surfed a bunch). We are docking at all of our ports, so no Priority Tendering.  I heard that you had to arrive 45 minutes early for the VIP seating. 

I don't know, but it just does not seem like a bargain at all. 

I get it we need to be flexible.  I purchased The Key almost a year ago for our Alaskan Cruise on Quantum this May.   Seemed like a great deal since I have to have internet.  Well RC just canceled The Key and to purchase internet it now double the cost than it was originally.  You would think they would at least give us a special deal or the internet free as an inconvenience. 

Dear Guest,

We have an important change to share with you regarding your purchase of The Key.

As we continue to evaluate the program while returning it to service across our fleet, we regret to inform you we will be unable to offer The Key onboard Quantum of the Seas during your cruise and your reservation has been cancelled.

We know how much time and planning goes into a vacation, and we're very sorry for any inconvenience caused by this last-minute change. We've issued a full refund of The Key to your original form of payment, and you should see it reflected within 30 business days. On top of your refund, we're also providing you with a $50 USD non-refundable Onboard Credit per person to use anywhere onboard, such as in one of our Specialty Dining venues, in the Vitality Spa, and more!

Thank you for your understanding. We're wishing you a wonderful sailing and are looking forward to welcoming you onboard soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

I am going to be very upset when this happens to me. And i say “when” because the key was always showing for my alaska cruise in june and i purchased, and now just today its suddenly not for sale. 

i purchased it for the internet then plus a few bucks a day to get front of the line access, chops lunch, etc. 

I absolutely need internet as our 3 year old son is staying with my parents and we need to stay in contact with him of course. 

now the internet prices are crazy. Everything went up in price today. 
even if we only do one device surf and stream the price is astronomical. 
$50 credit wouldnt be enough in my eyes as the cruise is only 50 some days away!!!! So the planning has been carefully done! 

yikes!!!