Honeystung Chicken

mamabdw

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Speaking of Brits... Has anyone seen English Bacon onboard at the WJ or MDR?  Ahhh.  Bacon and Honey Stung Chicken would be bliss!

I have, but only when sailing from England or when there are a lot of British passengers onboard. I've never seen Canadian Bacon, though. ;)

Pea Meal bacon is Canadian Bacon, made from Pork Loin.

English or British Bacon is more like a thin cut pork chop from what I hear. (that's why I want to give it a try!)

As opposed to American style bacon which is from the pork belly flaps.  (made a killing on pork belly futures when I bought some commodities shares in the 80s shortly before the fast food burger joints unveiled BACON CHEESE BURGERS on their menues as a new and exotic food item).

Then, there's Buck Board Bacon, made from pork butts or pork shoulder - just as good, but not easy made into uniform slices.

I also enjoy from the italians... Guanciale, "hog jowls" in the US, or just jowl bacon.  Kinda tough, better to flavor beans.

Now that would be an interesting buffet item - The Bacon Bar or Bacons of the world!

15 hours ago, BillHoo said:

English or British Bacon is more like a thin cut pork chop from what I hear. (that's why I want to give it a try!)

Probably nobody cares at this point, but I have eaten a lot of British bacon and it is really more like a cross between Canadian bacon and American bacon.  It is like very thin, salty, dry ham but with some threads of fat.  I like it much better than either American or Canadian bacon.  I wouldn't compare it to a thin pork chop.  I have seen it in the WJ on occasion.  If you travel to Europe or South Africa it is the only bacon you will be served.

On 6/15/2017 at 9:49 AM, Matt said:

You are among many other folks on these boards that really enjoy the curry selection.

Ha!  I just read this comment on another site (article about buffet etiquette, but topical).  I'd be quick to choose, "Sorry dear Tilapia.  You stay here and listen to the nice men playing in the band.  I'm taking Lamb on the lifeboat.  Will be back for you.  Promise! <snick!>"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1514

"Scott Michael · Tulane Medical School
Sorry, but the ones who treat the choice between tilapia or lamb curry like they were choosing which one of their twins got to go into the lifeboat on the Titanic and which one stays on the deck drive me nuts!! I don't ask, I just go around them. Look, it's just a meal not a life choice, get your food move on and come back later if you need to. If you can't make up you mind in a few seconds for WHATEVER reason, the problem is yours not mine. I think it's disrespectful to the people behind you to linger over the buffet whenever there is a crowd."

8 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Ha!  I just read this comment on another site (article about buffet etiquette, but topical).  I'd be quick to choose, "Sorry dear Tilapia.  You stay here and listen to the nice men playing in the band.  I'm taking Lamb on the lifeboat.  Will be back for you.  Promise! <snick!>"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1514

"Scott Michael · Tulane Medical School
Sorry, but the ones who treat the choice between tilapia or lamb curry like they were choosing which one of their twins got to go into the lifeboat on the Titanic and which one stays on the deck drive me nuts!! I don't ask, I just go around them. Look, it's just a meal not a life choice, get your food move on and come back later if you need to. If you can't make up you mind in a few seconds for WHATEVER reason, the problem is yours not mine. I think it's disrespectful to the people behind you to linger over the buffet whenever there is a crowd."

Those are the same people that hem and haw over the menu at McDonald's! For crying out loud, they've had the same basic menu for 50yrs! It's only a meal choice. It's not "Sophie's Choice!" Especially on a cruise. If you don't like it, just get something else!

I saw no honeystung chicken on Anthem 6/22 to 6/27.

And yeah, last cruise night, I was annoyed at a woman who was standing in front of the caribbean food selections at the WJ, her plate resting on the steel bar while she was eating shrimp from her plate for 4 minutes as he 14 year old child wandered around her.  She saw people waiting to get to the selections, but would not move.  Wasn't even looking at the caribbean food.  Just standing there with vacant eyes eating shrimp.  Shrimp wasn't even at that bar!!!

7 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

I saw no honeystung chicken on Anthem 6/22 to 6/27.

And yeah, last cruise night, I was annoyed at a woman who was standing in front of the caribbean food selections at the WJ, her plate resting on the steel bar while she was eating shrimp from her plate for 4 minutes as he 14 year old child wandered around her.  She saw people waiting to get to the selections, but would not move.  Wasn't even looking at the caribbean food.  Just standing there with vacant eyes eating shrimp.  Shrimp wasn't even at that bar!!!

People like that fall into the PITA category and should not, I repeat NOT, be afforded any social amenities (hello, how are you, enjoying the cruise, etc) but should be dealt with the same rudeness they openly display! PITA stands for pain in the ass, got no use for them at home and definitely not on a cruise ship. 

20 hours ago, BillHoo said:

The only fried chicken on the Room Service Menu is fried chicken wings that have an assortment of sauces - ie. BBQ, honey mustard, Buffalo, Teriyaki, etc.

Looks like I'm going to have to bring Old Bay .... Nothing beats Old Bay wings

18 hours ago, DocLC said:

Good luck, but it seems to be MIA onboard of late. 

We found it in the Windjammer on embarkation day when we was on the Indy in October although we did have to ask where it was and it was in short supply so I hope they are not going to stop putting it out as I LOVE IT :17_heart_eyes: but you could be right DocLc as things always change if demand is not as high as it was. 

14 hours ago, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

Being from across the big pond , what is Old Bay ? :5_smiley:

Old Bay is a mixture of spices .... First created in Baltimore.  It's most notably used in/on steamed Blue Crabs, Crab Cakes .... all the things a good Baltimore native should be masters at creating and consuming ....

As time progressed, we, Maryland natives especially, discovered its many other uses on different foods.... I think the most common that's not seafood related is fried chicken, chicken wings, etc.  In fact, the local Buffalo Wild Wings used a standard menu when they first opened until they discovered it was a Must Have for the local population (like myself)...

Personally, I love it on everything.  Macaroni & Cheese, Corn on the Cob, anything potato related - There's also a company just over the line in Pennsylvania, Herr Foods, that is the authorized user of Old Bay to put it on Potato Chips, Popcorn, Cheese Curls and a few other items (the Old Bay Popcorn is crazy good) ..... It also goes well in a Bloody Mary.  There's a local brewery that has created Old Bay Beer .....

I guess the only I haven't tried it on is Cheerios --- not quite there yet.

It used to be only sold regionally (I can recall sending cases of it to relatives in Florida & California..... but since McCormick bought them out, it's pretty much sold everywhere..... I'll even hear it mentioned on the Food Network .

Hope this helps,

Mark

index.jpg

HC.jpg

23 hours ago, DAVE(Darkcabbie) said:

Being from across the big pond , what is Old Bay ? :5_smiley:

9 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Old Bay is a mixture of spices .... First created in Baltimore.  It's most notably used in/on steamed Blue Crabs, Crab Cakes .... all the things a good Baltimore native should be masters at creating and consuming ....

As time progressed, we, Maryland natives especially, discovered its many other uses on different foods.... I think the most common that's not seafood related is fried chicken, chicken wings, etc.  In fact, the local Buffalo Wild Wings used a standard menu when they first opened until they discovered it was a Must Have for the local population (like myself)...

Personally, I love it on everything.  Macaroni & Cheese, Corn on the Cob, anything potato related - There's also a company just over the line in Pennsylvania, Herr Foods, that is the authorized user of Old Bay to put it on Potato Chips, Popcorn, Cheese Curls and a few other items (the Old Bay Popcorn is crazy good) ..... It also goes well in a Bloody Mary.  There's a local brewery that has created Old Bay Beer .....

I guess the only I haven't tried it on is Cheerios --- not quite there yet.

It used to be only sold regionally (I can recall sending cases of it to relatives in Florida & California..... but since McCormick bought them out, it's pretty much sold everywhere..... I'll even hear it mentioned on the Food Network .

Hope this helps,

Mark

index.jpg

HC.jpg

See Darkcabbie, I told you I was going to leave it to an expert!

Gravy on fries are half way to poutine, just add the cheese curds! Now you're talking! YUM!

18 hours ago, coneyraven said:

We put gravy on fries here too..... it is AWESOME!!!!!

Yours maybe as correct me if i am wrong but you have homestyle gravy which is thick so i guess that's ok with fries as you could dip it but mostly English gravy is thin and runny so it makes everything soggy :2_grimacing:.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

They've kind of become a thing here in the states the last couple of years. Especially the combination of maple and bacon.

11:30 pm and I just read this. Heading to the kitchen for to get cooking, will be up late watching whatever is on tv. Thanks, FM, I know my wife will be chewy me out in the morning for the kitchen mess, but I can blame it on you!

3 hours ago, rjac said:

11:30 pm and I just read this. Heading to the kitchen for to get cooking, will be up late watching whatever is on tv. Thanks, FM, I know my wife will be chewy me out in the morning for the kitchen mess, but I can blame it on you!

Look on the bright side at least you will die a full and happy man :6_smile:

10 hours ago, rjac said:

It wouldn't be the first time I've been blamed by a wife. Usually it's mine though.