Honeystung Chicken

mamabdw

As a vegetarian (I do tend to eat fish when I'm on board though, so not a very good one), hearing people get super excited about honey stung chicken and roast beef sandwiches is just not really something I could ever relate to. 

Now.. either WJ curry or an embarkation day visit to Johnny Rocket's for a Streamliner? Now we're talking. 

Oh I love the good Indian food they have in the windjammer....its always a goto for me!

JR is great to...not sure what a Streamliner is, but I get excited for their rings and fries and their greasy juicy burgers.......great hangover food....not that I ever need that on a cruise with a drink package!...ha

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, what the heck is so special about this honey stung chicken?

Nothing. 

The reason why honey stung chicken became so "popular" was it was only available on embarkation day in the Windjammer buffet.  Thus, if you were eating honey stung chicken, it was a sign you were on the first day of your cruise and everything is better on embarkation day!

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/07/30/royal-caribbean-classic-honey-stung-chicken

Nothing. 

The reason why honey stung chicken became so "popular" was it was only available on embarkation day in the Windjammer buffet.  Thus, if you were eating honey stung chicken, it was a sign you were on the first day of your cruise and everything is better on embarkation day!

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/07/30/royal-caribbean-classic-honey-stung-chicken

Thanks Matt. I will be embarking on thee Serenade next Monday and will hit the WJ seeking out this gastronomical delight. Looks like an easy recipe to follow in the link you posted. But for me, everything is better on any cruise day!

• 3 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, Matt said:

Nothing. 

So is the reverse also true. Everything tastes worse on debarkation day?

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, bcarney said:

Ask for curry if you dine in the MDR (it's not on the menu).  We had them every night on Adventure last November, and they were fabulous with each night getting better than the night before.  

bcarney, what kind of curry did you ask for? Did you ask for something specific? I love curries and will definitely be asking for some in Oct on Serenade!

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, rjac said:

Thanks Matt. I will be embarking on thee Serenade next Monday and will hit the WJ seeking out this gastronomical delight. Looks like an easy recipe to follow in the link you posted. But for me, everything is better on any cruise day!

rjac,

I'll look forward to your reviews and thoughts of Serenade in anticipation of our cruising on her in Oct.

3 hours ago, FManke said:

rjac,

I'll look forward to your reviews and thoughts of Serenade in anticipation of our cruising on her in Oct.

This was our second cruise aboard the Serenade. First time out of San Juan and this last time out of Ft. Lauderdale. Cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale is so much easier than San Juan, in my opinion.  The ship does not have a promenade, it has a centrum which we always found crowded with very limited seats. Had to get there at least 30-45 minutes before the entertainment started. Also, limited shopping on board. We booked this last cruise primarily for the itinerary. Bonaire was one of the ports and we had never been there before. The Serenade is an older ship but did have some upgrades/renovation in 2012 (?) but she shows her age very well and was in great condition. We had an ocean view balcony that was excellent. The entertainment was so so, we skipped most of it and watched a coupe of movies on the pool deck. One of the upgrades is a very large outdoor screen for movies at night and entertaining videos during the day. Unfortunately, no honey stung chicken in the WJ on embarkation day but they did have goat curry one evening for dinner (delicious!), that was the evening we got back on board late from Bonaire. We missed dinner in thee MDR so we hit the WJ.

Will we cruise the Serenade again? Absolutely depending on the itinerary. Would we go back to Bonaire again? Hell yeah!

8 hours ago, rjac said:

This was our second cruise aboard the Serenade. First time out of San Juan and this last time out of Ft. Lauderdale. Cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale is so much easier than San Juan, in my opinion.  The ship does not have a promenade, it has a centrum which we always found crowded with very limited seats. Had to get there at least 30-45 minutes before the entertainment started. Also, limited shopping on board. We booked this last cruise primarily for the itinerary. Bonaire was one of the ports and we had never been there before. The Serenade is an older ship but did have some upgrades/renovation in 2012 (?) but she shows her age very well and was in great condition. We had an ocean view balcony that was excellent. The entertainment was so so, we skipped most of it and watched a coupe of movies on the pool deck. One of the upgrades is a very large outdoor screen for movies at night and entertaining videos during the day. Unfortunately, no honey stung chicken in the WJ on embarkation day but they did have goat curry one evening for dinner (delicious!), that was the evening we got back on board late from Bonaire. We missed dinner in thee MDR so we hit the WJ.

Will we cruise the Serenade again? Absolutely depending on the itinerary. Would we go back to Bonaire again? Hell yeah!

Sounds good. We aren't looking for a lot of shopping, so I think we'll be ok.  I'll let you know what I think when we get back in Oct. I would enjoy some goat curry myself, although I'm sure that was served because of the itinerary and location. I don't think I'm going to have much luck finding that on our cruise to Maine and Canada. Maybe some poutine then? :14_relaxed:

20 hours ago, FManke said:

bcarney, what kind of curry did you ask for? Did you ask for something specific? I love curries and will definitely be asking for some in Oct on Serenade!

I didn't ask for anything specific.  They offer a vegetarian and meat-based curry each evening, and after the second day they started to bring me both each evening.

2 minutes ago, bcarney said:

I didn't ask for anything specific.  They offer a vegetarian and meat-based curry each evening, and after the second day they started to bring me both each evening.

That's in the MDR, right?

On 6/4/2017 at 11:40 AM, FManke said:

I'm not too keen of veggie curries (is dahl makani considered a curry? I do like that).  I like a good goat, mutton, or lamb curry.  West Indian Beef curries are also great.  chicken curry is OK.  I steer clear of fish curries.  Especially Tilapia - On fish farms, they eat their own poo!

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

I'll look for the honey stung chicken on Anthem this month.  Is it served hot and fresh out of the fryer, or is it sitting under heat lamp and already kinda, less crispy?

If it's not there, do you think I could request it in the WJ or MDR?

It used to be on room service menu.  If it is available at WJ, it's at one of the buffet stations ready to go.

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

I steer clear of fish curries.  Especially Tilapia - On fish farms, they eat their own poo!

Well, that's news to me! I just read about them after seeing your post and see that they're plant eaters (algae, some "bottom plants" and other vegetation) and not bottom-feeders, so this would be a big surprise to me. That said, I've found the flavor of Tilapia less and less appealing over the years and generally don't order it any more. Maybe I've been getting some of those poop-eating farm-bred fish of late! :52_fearful:

8 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Well, that's news to me! I just read about them after seeing your post and see that they're plant eaters (algae, some "bottom plants" and other vegetation) and not bottom-feeders, so this would be a big surprise to me. That said, I've found the flavor of Tilapia less and less appealing over the years and generally don't order it any more. Maybe I've been getting some of those poop-eating farm-bred fish of late! :52_fearful:

I  bet they're LOADED with mercury, too!

11 hours ago, bcarney said:

So they are available every night, even though they are not listed on the menu?

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I know I try to always eat wild caught seafood.  I don't know if it's better for me, but I feel better about eating it.

3 hours ago, rjac said:

I  bet they're LOADED with mercury, too!

Actually, in the Wikipedia article about Tilapia that I was reading, it said that they're one of the lower mercury-containing fish. I guess because they eat plants and not other fish, so no chance for buildup.

Now, if that poop they're eating happens to be loaded up... bring on the CHUDs!!

13 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Actually, in the Wikipedia article about Tilapia that I was reading, it said that they're one of the lower mercury-containing fish. I guess because they eat plants and not other fish, so no chance for buildup.

Now, if that poop they're eating happens to be loaded up... bring on the CHUDs!!

How did the discussion go from eating something people seem to love so much to this? :4_joy:

On 6/5/2017 at 5:31 PM, JLMoran said:

Generally, I hear they are fed a vegan feed pellet.  The fish eats the pellet which is not completely digested as it passes thru them and comes out.... as a pellet that smells somewhat like a vegan feed pellet to the other fish who are all crammed together in a pen and say "What the heck!  I'll give it a try!"

So then, the Tilapia fish are harvested and served at places like cruise buffets and passengers see Tilapia on the menu and say "What the heck!  I'll give it a try!"

https://lakewaytilapia.com/Tilapia_Myths.php

Myth: Tilapia eat poop.
Fact: Tilapia are plant eaters; they do not eat poop unless they are being starved.
Truth: The rumor that tilapia prefer poop stems from an episode of Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel in which the host, Mike Rowe, visited a fish farm that raised hybrid striped bass. Mike unknowingly exposed the cruelty of the farmers, as they starved their tilapia into eating the wastes of the more valuable bass. Some time later, after a public outcry, the farm reported that the tilapia were only being used as "cleaners" and were never intended for human consumption. Still not nice, but whatever.

Other investigations into the tilapia farming practices in Honduras, Vietnam, Indonesia and China, have reported that it is not uncommon for fish farmers to starve tilapia into eating hog manure. Surprisingly, this practice does not have to be disclosed when the tilapia filets are imported for sale in US grocery stores. This is actually true of all imported fish. To be safe, you should only eat fish raised in the United States.

By the way, we use the word "starve" loosely to mean "not supplying any legitimate aquatic species food source". Tilapia have very strong strike and graze instincts, and will "nibble" on just about anything that enters their water, including fingers and toes.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, BillHoo said:

Tilapia have very strong strike and graze instincts, and will "nibble" on just about anything that enters their water, including fingers and toes.

Like those fish they use during the pedicures?

On June 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM, BillHoo said:

I'm not too keen of veggie curries (is dahl makani considered a curry? I do like that).  I like a good goat, mutton, or lamb curry.  West Indian Beef curries are also great.  chicken curry is OK.  I steer clear of fish curries.  Especially Tilapia - On fish farms, they eat their own poo!

I love curry and always seek it out in the small side section where it is served in WJ.  Alas, usually there is only one offering and very often it is veggie.  I've found that cruises with lots of Brits have more curry dishes offered, in both the MDR and WJ.   I also really like grilled tomatoes for breakfast.  So.... you Brits come on down and get aboard Liberty sailing out of Galveston on July 16.  I'm counting on you to save me from the mundane!  I'll even eat your baked beans for breakfast, but not the blood sausage.

10 hours ago, cruise-y said:

I love curry and always seek it out in the small side section where it is served in WJ.  Alas, usually there is only one offering and very often it is veggie.  I've found that cruises with lots of Brits have more curry dishes offered, in both the MDR and WJ.   I also really like grilled tomatoes for breakfast.  So.... you Brits come on down and get aboard Liberty sailing out of Galveston on July 16.  I'm counting on you to save me from the mundane!  I'll even eat your baked beans for breakfast, but not the blood sausage.

You are among many other folks on these boards that really enjoy the curry selection.

11 hours ago, cruise-y said:

Speaking of Brits... Has anyone seen English Bacon onboard at the WJ or MDR?  Ahhh.  Bacon and Honey Stung Chicken would be bliss!