Tipping Bar Staff on QOTSeas

Hello

As Australians the whole "tipping" concept is not something we're use to.  Myself and 2 friends are staying in a Grand Suite (Brisbane departure March 2023)and understand we have to pay $17.50 per day as part of the gratuities.  We are also aware that we tip the staff a few dollars when they deliver our room service (as well as our stateroom attendant)  however do we need to tip the bartenders when we walk up to the bar and buy a drink?  I understand there is 18% "tax" on top of your alcoholic purchases - so my question is does that go to the bar staff of the company? (The amount of money that RC must make from tips from a cruise must be staggering!) 

We've travelled to the USA and understand their tipping culture - just need to work out if the individual bar purchases require tips.  Although our cruise isn't until March 2023 I see the cost for the Drinks Package is a staggering $90 US PER DAY - which equals $146 Australian per day X 4 days (amounting to nearly $440!)... not even a seething alcoholic would drink that much!!!!! We'll stick to the occasional purchases and take advantage of the "happy hour" in the Concierge Lounge I think! PS I realise the price may come down closer to the cruise departure,  but seems quite expensive regardless.

It sounds like we need to cash $50+ American dollars into $1 notes when we get on board! 

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Your stateroom attendants are covered under your $17.50/per person per day fee. You may elect to tip them extra if you feel it's warranted, but they are covered.  The 18% that you pay on top of your drinks is the gratuity and does go to the bar staff.  Again, you can always slip them more if you like. 

If you are in a suite, I believe on Quantum the suite lounge will be open from 11-11 for complimentary beer and wine, which further reduces your need for a drink package. A tip in the suite lounge is not required but will go along way in exemplary above and beyond service for the remainder of the week. I highly recommend a tip here at the beginning and ending of the week, especially if you found a bartender who took a personal interest in you. They do not receive an automatic gratuity on your complimentary beverages.

13 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

If you are in a suite, I believe on Quantum the suite lounge will be open from 11-11 for complimentary beer and wine, which further reduces your need for a drink package. A tip in the suite lounge is not required but will go along way in exemplary above and beyond service for the remainder of the week. I highly recommend a tip here at the beginning and ending of the week, especially if you found a bartender who took a personal interest in you. They do not receive an automatic gratuity on your complimentary beverages.

The 11-11 complimentary beer & wine drinks are limited to Oasis class only.  Quantum class don't offer that in the Suite Lounge but will offer a nightly happy hour cocktail event, typically 5-8pm.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

The 11-11 complimentary beer & wine drinks are limited to Oasis class only.  Quantum class don't offer that in the Suite Lounge but will offer a nightly happy hour cocktail event, typically 5-8pm.

Thank you. Ashamed that doesn't include Quantum class!!!