FCC expires at end of 2022 - options?

Hi! I have Future Cruise Credits that have a sail by date of Dec 2022. We recently completed a cruise and will not be able fit another one in this year. So we are facing a situation where our FCC's will expire. Is anyone else in this situation? Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks for the help!!  

Unfortunately, those cruise credits' expiration cannot be extended.  I've heard reports that people are able to "gift" these credits to someone that would be able to use them.  So, if you know someone that could use them by then, that's an option.  You'd have to call Royal Caribbean to have them explain how this process works.

19 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Unfortunately, those cruise credits' expiration cannot be extended.  I've heard reports that people are able to "gift" these credits to someone that would be able to use them.  So, if you know someone that could use them by then, that's an option.  You'd have to call Royal Caribbean to have them explain how this process works.

Thanks - I am thinking of booking a cruise in 4th quarter 2022 with a refundable deposit using the FCC's and then moving to a cruise in 2023 - from what I can tell, the worst case is that I will incur a $100 change fee per person. I appreciate any thoughts you may have on this plan. thanks!

3 hours ago, jrgolley said:

Thanks - I am thinking of booking a cruise in 4th quarter 2022 with a refundable deposit using the FCC's and then moving to a cruise in 2023 - from what I can tell, the worst case is that I will incur a $100 change fee per person. I appreciate any thoughts you may have on this plan. thanks!

The FCC still expires end of 2022. Booking a refundable deposit does not extend the expiration date.

Royal leaving it to their customer to sell or transfer their FCC to someone else is pretty mind boggling to me.  I know there will be folks that would say they can do what they want read the fine print, but that is ridiculous.  You would think, given the circumstances, and their desire for people to be Loyal to Royal, that they would extend the expiration date since they have been holding onto your money interest free all this time.  By the end of this year they aren't likely to be back to cruising without Covid protocols still in place.  They should have extended the date to 12 months after protocols (i.e. vax mandates) were lifted, or refund the money.

1 hour ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

My TA was able to call Royal and apply my FCC to a Feb 2023 sailing.  It's worth a try.  YMMV

I was thinking the same thing.  I doubt Royal's system is capable of blocking usage prior to 31Dec2022 for a 2023 cruise.  I am sure they can prevent their usage on 01Jan2023.  

15 hours ago, gatorskin76 said:

Royal leaving it to their customer to sell or transfer their FCC to someone else is pretty mind boggling to me.  I know there will be folks that would say they can do what they want read the fine print, but that is ridiculous.  You would think, given the circumstances, and their desire for people to be Loyal to Royal, that they would extend the expiration date since they have been holding onto your money interest free all this time.  By the end of this year they aren't likely to be back to cruising without Covid protocols still in place.  They should have extended the date to 12 months after protocols (i.e. vax mandates) were lifted, or refund the money.

Totally agree.  Royal should be allowing these to remain valid until a period of time after return to full operation, no restrictions.  Maybe it will happen.

2 hours ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

My TA was able to call Royal and apply my FCC to a Feb 2023 sailing.  It's worth a try.  YMMV

Nice!  I tried that for a cruise in March 2023...but I deal with Royal directly and they said no.

I have a cruise for Dec 2022 but it was a backup and we will be cancelling it.  Will apply our FCC for now in case the rules change prior to cancelling (which will be before final payment), but most likely that FCC will be lost.

We agonized over using our FCC before December 31. Our experience on Odyssey last Christmas was so abysmal that we weren’t sure we wanted to sale on Royal again. However, we know that there are exceptions to every situation so we decided to book harmony over Thanksgiving. It was really too much money to sacrifice. Trusting that are next experience will be much better.

10 hours ago, Clover18 said:

We agonized over using our FCC before December 31. Our experience on Odyssey last Christmas was so abysmal that we weren’t sure we wanted to sale on Royal again. However, we know that there are exceptions to every situation so we decided to book harmony over Thanksgiving. It was really too much money to sacrifice. Trusting that are next experience will be much better.

I think when you do holiday sailings, you have to adjust your expectations. Lots of families cruise on the holidays and the ships will be a madhouse. I purposely never sail/vacation around the big holidays, because I have always been disappointed. 

It had nothing to do with passenger counts. The ship was turned away at 4 ports due to Covid and they gave everyone onboard 50% of fare for that. We had two rooms. The experience was bad because the situation was exacerbated by sick crew members. One day we stopped and floated near another RCC ship for several hours while they offloaded crew members. Not a fun journey 

24 minutes ago, Clover18 said:

It had nothing to do with passenger counts. The ship was turned away at 4 ports due to Covid and they gave everyone onboard 50% of fare for that. We had two rooms. The experience was bad because the situation was exacerbated by sick crew members. One day we stopped and floated near another RCC ship for several hours while they offloaded crew members. Not a fun journey 

I was on this same sailing, we did our very best to make the best of it but YES even though we were on a cruise it was time to get off the ship. First time ever I was thinking why can't we just return early?  We are on the Odyssey again this Thanksgiving, we are thinking hard about cancelling, most likely will.  Was hoping for CWC but looks like we will be out some monies. There are many of us who have stood by Royal through out this entire mess & I feel they could bend a bit with these FCC dates as well as CWC at least until the end of 2022 or lessening of the protocols. Sadly, this has left a bad taste for me & moving forward I personally will not be booking with Royal for a while, taking a break. 

I truly get they are providing an experience for $$ & they need to recoup ASAP but seriously it seems to be in my humble opinion to be a bit callous the way they are treating us, I get it;  I want to sail it's their rules so after our July sailing paid for with our final FCC's we are going to experience some new and different things. 

Happy Sailing @Clover18 I have a feeling you will really enjoy the Harmony. We sailed her before in all of her Oasis glory, she is where we will most likely be ending our Royal journey for the time being.