Drink package prices

Mikei31

Yes I’m sure this has been beaten to death here but I don’t have time to search.

It seems the drink packages have gone way up in price.  When I first cruised on Anthem in 2015 we got the adult beverage package for about $45 or so pp/pd.

My Oasis cruise in July was $70 at booking, then $66, now $73 pp/pd.  At these prices I am going to go a la carte for drinks.

Does anybody have recent experience with getting a better deal than this beforehand or with a special deal while boarding?  Just wondering if I should stop checking.  FYI,  it’s a 7 nighter from Cape Liberty.  Thanks

It's going to depend on how much the a la carte prices go up, but our break-even is just under $60 for a mindful trip (and just under half of that is on water/nice coffee/juices). At $65, it becomes a bargain in our heads for trading the extra $5 to be able to try things we wouldn't otherwise try or splurge for a glass of wine (or 3) at dinner. 

The math on the packages doesn't work for us either right now, but if the average drink goes up considerably that may change your calculus. For us, it would probably mean just less drinking onboard period, and switching to more meals/dining experiences at port rather than making a point to be back on the ship for a dinner at Chops or Izumi. 

$60 seems to be about my break even as well.  Just have no idea where prices are going nowadays or if waiting till onboard they’re may be one final best offer.

at the current offering I’d rather go a la carte and not force myself to drink on days 6,7, just because I have the package.   might be a better option, we’ll see.  

2 hours ago, Mikei31 said:

$60 seems to be about my break even as well.  Just have no idea where prices are going nowadays or if waiting till onboard they’re may be one final best offer.

at the current offering I’d rather go a la carte and not force myself to drink on days 6,7, just because I have the package.   might be a better option, we’ll see.  

I can totally understand that.  We snagged the drinks package on Oasis when it was $66.  I definitely drink more than my husband, but my justification is that if we want a bloody mary or bellini with breakfast, or want something while we're at the pool, it's nice to be able to just order it without being billed.  I drink coffee throughout the day and my husband likes his daily smoothies.  I don't drink them (trying to stay low-sugar), but I can order one for my kids as well.  We drink a lot of water and plan on bringing our reusable water bottles, but if we don't have them with us or are going ashore, it's great to be able to get a couple of bottles of water. I'd like to think that between the non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks, we'll be getting our money's worth as well as the convenience.

Prices are going up because people are paying it. The best think to do is book it at what you think is reasonable and check frequently for sales. Do you get RC emails. Yes its mostly marketing, but they will announce when packages are on sale and especially do it when you have the cruise booked and opp in for getting the emails.

Not sure why, but Royal ran their "All Inclusive" promotion over here in the UK (not sure if you are in the US/Canada if you can take advantage) for certain 2022 sailings. They were adding the Deluxe Beverage package to your invoice for £40/$51  per person per day. A real bargain compared to the Cruise Planner (They were still selling the DBP for £63 on the cruise planner for my sailing) and some of the prices I have been seeing here on the blog.

Come to the UK! Drink up me hearties yo-ho!

Currently, It looks like the cruise Planner platform for 2023 cruise is just starting to be populated with place holders.

Focus of current promotions is through end of 2022. If you do a deeper dive in your 2023 planner, you'll find no dinning available, shore excursions (limited)..etc.

Keep checking regularly, purchase at a price you're comfortable with and check frequently for price drops.

I will not pay $98.. pp/pd for Deluxe beverage package( my liver says No!)

I think there’s a lot of new cruisers who don’t always realize you don’t have to buy the drink package in order to have a drink. Even worse is many don’t really do the math to consider if it’s worth it for the amount they drink so they pay these inflated prices.

Hopefully this is a temporary increase due to supply/demand issues and it will settle to a more realistic price eventually.