Grand Suite - Maximising the opportunity

Shane D

Hi all,

This morning we found out that our Royal Up had been successful and we are moving into a Grand Suite 1 Bedroom.

I’m hoping the wealth of knowledge in here can help me to understand the perks and how to make sure we maximise them.

We are departing Australia tomorrow for our Voyager of the Seas cruise on May 1st so being contacted by the concierge (by phone anyway) isn’t going to happen.

Thanks in advance 😊 

First of all congratulations on your Royal Up bid.

Each of the ships have a email address for the concierge and hopefully they should be in contact.

If you are planning on doing speciality dining I would ask them to arrange that for you. Even if you are doing a dining plan they are able to books them for you.

Pop in and say gidday to the concierge on the first day in the concierge lounge. I'd also make a happy of popping in tot he lounge for nibbles and a drink each night. I always enjoy getting to know the concierge team during these times as well as your follow suite cruisers. 

During the cruise if you have any questions, if there are any issues or you were wanting help with anything remember just to ask the concierge and they will be sure to help you as much as they can. I know NZers and Aussies are rather shy in asking for things but honestly they are keen to help. My experience is they will also appreciate the laid back ANZAC style and really appreciate a bit of a chat and someone taking some time to say hi and ask a little about them etc.

Most importantly... have an amazing time!!!!

You can order MDR food to your stateroom during hours which include   breakfast items that are not on the normal room service menu.  I will order it ahead of time and askfor a specific delivery time.  Waits can be up to an hour. Also free room service as well.  The new menu they incorporated before covid is actually pretty good. 

Ask you room attendent for pool towels as you should not have to check them out.

Free drinks in the lounge during happy hour.  You can specifically ask for call brand and better wines.  Jsut dont say vodka soda, say GreyGoose soda, otherwise they give you the cheapest available.

The conceirge can help you with any guest services issues so you dont have to stand in line.

There is reserved seating for shows up until 15 minutes before show time.

I agree that room service from the MDR is a wonderful suites' perk....just be aware that the GS does not have an inside dining table.  If you order room service you will either have to eat at the "bar" standing up, eat at the coffee table or go outside and eat on the balcony furniture (which may or may not have a regular sized table).  I've done all three so you CAN do it, it's just not as convenient and/or romantic as having a nice, comfortable place to sit and eat.

IMO the best suites perk for non-O/Q class ships is the suites' breakfast (usually in Chops but may be in Giovanni's).  It's also lovely to be able to pop into the Suites' Lounge at any time of the day, and get a nice cup of coffee.  Reserved seating at the entertainment venues (if they are doing that again, these days) is also a nice perk b/c you don't have to arrive waaay early to get a seat.  Just remember to get there at least 15 minutes before the show starts b/c they will open up the reserved section to non-suites shortly after that.

Enjoy the Sweet Life.  Congratulations on the awesome upgrade !

My first Royal Caribbean cruise was on the Oasis and we had a Grand Suite (1 bedroom).  First I must say that my wife and I are very quiet and unassuming people.  We didn't know anything about a Concierge, we didn't get any email from any Concierge and we had no clue what the perks were other than a larger cabin size, a coffee maker (we don't drink coffee), and all the water you wanted.  So, we learned as we went along.  We did find the Coastal Kitchen and the Suite lounge.  Sitting in there were two people sitting at a small desk with a desktop.  We found out later that they were the ship's concierge(s) and they were there to assist us with most things customer service related.  On the day before debarkation, we found the suite sun deck.  Having never traveled "first Class" like that before, we didn't even know what to ask for.  Pre-Cruise, we didn't even know what to research.  Being an old retired Army Sergeant, I/we weren't used to being pampered.  It was kinda hard to get used to.  But, not anymore, several suite cruises later, we love it.

So, you are 100% doing the right thing, getting as much information as you can.  Don't be shy while on the ship.  Ask questions, especially the concierge.  Ask the concierge what he/she can do for you to make your cruise more enjoyable.  If you plan on eating in the MDR, establish a relationship with the maitre d, not just the concierge.  Treat your stateroom/suite steward very good, he/she can make or break your entire cruise.  

Most of all, I wish I had done this before my first suite cruise, research research research Royal's website, CURRENT Youtube videos and, like you are already doing, read posts in here and separate the bull from the good stuff.  Matt has a plethora of great articles and videos, too.  

You've already got some good info from within this thread.  My only WARNING, you're going to be hooked to the Suite Cruising style.  Get ready for it.  It's hard to go back.  

Good luck, be safe, and most of all, just enjoy!

One of the best perks in my opinion are the priority tender tickets.  Depending on your specific itinerary there are a few ports where Navigator is tendered not docked.  Those priority tender tickets make all the difference in my opinion. Also as others have pointed out you can enjoy breakfast and lunch in speciality restaurants, free room service, free pressing service if you are dressing up for formal night and many other perks. 

The one down side is Navigator is not part of the Royal Suite Class which is only on Quantum and Oasis Class ships, so some of the perks that you get on ships in those classes are not offered on ships of a smaller class.

Voyager has a great suites lounge .You can pop up there and get a light snack and coffee throughout the day  and happy hour before or after dinner gets you free drinks and nibbles...it also has a big outside deck to relax on if you want to get away from the crowds ..have a wonderful cruise

Thanks everyone for their input, it’s been much appreciated!  I have previously only cruised in an inside room so know this experience is going to be mind blowing! Lol.

This is my wife’s first ever cruise, she’s going to think this will a the norm 🤦‍♂️

Lots of great advice already, thanks so much 😊

• 2 weeks later...

We just got upgraded to a Grand Suite as well.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  Are children allowed in the suite lounge and on the suite sundeck?

2. What time is the complimentary happy hour? Are only beer and wine served during it or can we order other drinks?

3.  If more than just beer and wine are served, should we cancel our drink package? 

7 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

We just got upgraded to a Grand Suite as well.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  Are children allowed in the suite lounge and on the suite sundeck?

2. What time is the complimentary happy hour? Are only beer and wine served during it or can we order other drinks?

3.  If more than just beer and wine are served, should we cancel our drink package? 

Yes children are allowed, with parents.

2. Depending on the ship 5-8 or 4:30 to 7:30

3.  Beer wine and soda are served from 11-11 am on Oasis Class ships.  Hard Liquor drinks with available for happy hour.  They are also included in Coastal Kitchen during dinner.  You may be able to get mimosas and bloody marys for breakfast but never tried. Depending on your drinking habits, if you drink alot during the day and evening then keep it, if you only have a few drinks other than beer and wine then cancel it.

9 minutes ago, MLH said:

Yes children are allowed, with parents.

2. Depending on the ship 5-8 or 4:30 to 7:30

3.  Beer wine and soda are served from 11-11 am on Oasis Class ships.  Hard Liquor drinks with available for happy hour.  They are also included in Coastal Kitchen during dinner.  You may be able to get mimosas and bloody marys for breakfast but never tried. Depending on your drinking habits, if you drink alot during the day and evening then keep it, if you only have a few drinks other than beer and wine then cancel it.

Thank you!  I'd have to go to the suite lounge for a drink each time, correct?

3 hours ago, Kirsten said:

Yet another question: internet is included; is it only for the first two people in the room or for each member on the reservation?

Which ship?   Internet is only included with full suites on Oasis and Quantum class.  I tried to follow the flow of this thread but it wasn’t clear which ship you are on. 

5 hours ago, Kirsten said:

Yet another question: internet is included; is it only for the first two people in the room or for each member on the reservation?

From you original post it seems you are on Voyager which is part of the Voyager class (this class includes Explorer of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas). This ship class does not include Internet as part of the suite amenities.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Which ship?   Internet is only included with full suites on Oasis and Quantum class.  I tried to follow the flow of this thread but it wasn’t clear which ship you are on. 

5 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

From you original post it seems you are on Voyager which is part of the Voyager class (this class includes Explorer of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas). This ship class does not include Internet as part of the suite amenities.

I piggybacked off of the original post.  We will be on the Oasis.

30 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

I piggybacked off of the original post.  We will be on the Oasis.

In the case of Oasis you WILL receive internet as apart of your suiet 

You will receive 1 login for each person in the cabin. This means that you can use the internet on one device at a time per person. You  can happily log off one device and then logon another (And if someone doens't want to sue the internet at the time... grab their log in 😉

7 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

In the case of Oasis you WILL receive internet as apart of your suiet 

You will receive 1 login for each person in the cabin. This means that you can use the internet on one device at a time per person. You  can happily log off one device and then logon another (And if someone doens't want to sue the internet at the time... grab their log in 😉

That's what I was hoping, but just wanted to check.  Thank you!!!

• 7 months later...

I wanted to ask if breakfast room service is available from the dining room if booking a Grand Suite?  We will be on Allure of the Seas.  I remember, in the past, being able to order dining room dinner in our suite, but I don't remember if ordering breakfast (or lunch) from the dining room is an option for suite guests.

I remember the tags with continental breakfast (free) and a couple of other paid options, but the dining room breakfast has more choices.  If so, how is it ordered?  Just calling the room service #?  I would prefer to order it the evening before to get it in a certain time frame like the time frames we check off on a tag.  

Thanks in advance!

30 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

I wanted to ask if breakfast room service is available from the dining room if booking a Grand Suite?  We will be on Allure of the Seas.  I remember, in the past, being able to order dining room dinner in our suite, but I don't remember if ordering breakfast (or lunch) from the dining room is an option for suite guests.

I remember the tags with continental breakfast (free) and a couple of other paid options, but the dining room breakfast has more choices.  If so, how is it ordered?  Just calling the room service #?  I would prefer to order it the evening before to get it in a certain time frame like the time frames we check off on a tag.  

Thanks in advance!

Yes! This is MisterZ's favorite suite perk. You cannot order ahead, however.

Just call room service and say "I'd like to order off the dining room menu". There will be a copy in your suite folder, or you can look in the app ahead. Delivery takes less than 30 minutes, normally.

39 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Thanks in advance!

You won't be able to order MDR breakfast, just the American hot options. At least that what I was told. Even Star class get the American breakfast menu for room service unless their Genie makes the trip.

23 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

You won't be able to order MDR breakfast, just the American hot options. At least that what I was told. Even Star class get the American breakfast menu for room service unless their Genie makes the trip.

Actually yes, you can get MDR items. MisterZ has had Eggs Benedict multiple times 🙂 

1 hour ago, KristiZ said:

Yes! This is MisterZ's favorite suite perk. You cannot order ahead, however.

Just call room service and say "I'd like to order off the dining room menu". There will be a copy in your suite folder, or you can look in the app ahead. Delivery takes less than 30 minutes, normally.

Fantastic!  I also love the eggs Benedict!  It’s one of my breakfast favorites!  There is a copy of the MDR breakfast menu in the suite folder?  I don’t eat lunch in the MDR to know if the menu changes daily though. I remember being able to see the MDR dinner menu on the tv so that was easy to spot.  We ordered MDR formal night dinner in cabin so we didn’t have to dress up.  This was about 5 or 6 years ago.  That’s how long it’s been since we were in a grand suite or higher.

14 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Fantastic!  I also love the eggs Benedict!  It’s one of my breakfast favorites!  There is a copy of the MDR breakfast menu in the suite folder?  I don’t eat lunch in the MDR to know if the menu changes daily though. I remember being able to see the MDR dinner menu on the tv so that was easy to spot.  We ordered MDR formal night dinner in cabin so we didn’t have to dress up.  This was about 5 or 6 years ago.  That’s how long it’s been since we were in a grand suite or higher.

Don't worry about dressing up.  About half the people don't  Just nice. (aka no ripped pants or shorts or T-shirts).  

Hi all!  First time on Oasis class and in a Crown Loft Suite so I'm also trying to learn how suite perks work. Thanks for this thread!  My question is about 'extras'.  I see in the Cruise Planner that excursions and dining packages are visible, but I've also read that "the concierge will reach out to you and assist with bookings and tickets".  Do they hold a certain amount or do I need to book early online to make sure they don't sell out?  How about the broadway and aqua theatre shows? I definitely want to be able to see all of the things on the Harmony that I haven't experienced on the other classes.  8 weeks until we sail. Thanks for any tips!

13 hours ago, NancyP said:

Hi all!  First time on Oasis class and in a Crown Loft Suite so I'm also trying to learn how suite perks work. Thanks for this thread!  My question is about 'extras'.  I see in the Cruise Planner that excursions and dining packages are visible, but I've also read that "the concierge will reach out to you and assist with bookings and tickets".  Do they hold a certain amount or do I need to book early online to make sure they don't sell out?  How about the broadway and aqua theatre shows? I definitely want to be able to see all of the things on the Harmony that I haven't experienced on the other classes.  8 weeks until we sail. Thanks for any tips!

These days so many people are booking specialty restaurants I'd suggest you proceed to book specialty dining now and then hopefully the concierge can assist you to modify reservations as the cruise proceeds. 

The same goes for excursions.  They don't hold space in case a suite guest wants to book an excursion at the last minute.  If you see an excursion you want, book it now.   

Another piggybacker and first time living the suite life here...

Sailing on Adventure next week in a Panoramic View Suite, and I have a couple questions.

When does concierge usually reach out via email?  

For the free room service, do you still pay gratuity on your order?

Can you order the RC specialty drinks in the suite lounge (like Rum Punch, Pineapple Guava Sangria)?

1 hour ago, nemrac917 said:

Another piggybacker and first time living the suite life here...

Sailing on Adventure next week in a Panoramic View Suite, and I have a couple questions.

When does concierge usually reach out via email?  

For the free room service, do you still pay gratuity on your order?

Can you order the RC specialty drinks in the suite lounge (like Rum Punch, Pineapple Guava Sangria)?

The email normally comes a few days before sailing.  Years ago it was around a week but it is becoming more common for the email to be received 3-5 days out. 

Room service is free.  A cash tip to the delivery person is always well received.

The process for drinks in a suite lounge can be ship specific.  On a similar class recently the suite lounge wait staff were going to the public bar in the viking crown lounge for drinks. On some ships there is a service bar used only by crew on the same deck and for those ships the suite lounge waiters use the service bar that may not have the full complement of all drinks available at a public bar on board. 

Hopefully a recent Adventure suite guest can shed some light on the Adventure suite lounge drinks.