First cruise

People cruise for many different reasons.  If you cruise to visit and experience other cultures, getting off the ship is a must.  Like someone said, you don't have to do an excursion to do that, but I'd say an excursion that says that it is a cultural tour/excursion could be a thing for you.  Or you may just want to shop.  <my only advice is think twice about doing the hair and piercing thing.  Most Caribbean countries don't have the safety standards/certifications that we are used to in the U.S./Canada et al>.  

Some, like my wife and I, like the ship experience and it's not necessary to get off the ship or get off and spend a lot of time on land.  If it's a new port to us, we will get off, walk through the shopping area that is usually right next to the port or part of the port, basically just to say we've been there.  

Be safe and enjoy!

I would say it depends on ports, the ship and what you want to do. Considering the ship can be a destination in itself, some activities are worth staying on during port stops.

As others have stated you can get off without needing an excursion and just walk around. You may regret not stepping on different soil. IMHO if it is Nassau, St. Maarten(and you don't want to jewelry shop) or most of Jamacia, I would stay aboard as the excursion aren't worth it, nor are the areas around the ports.

As a first timer, I would recommend it. To me it's similar to saying you've been somewhere even if all you've ever done is change planes at the airport. Can you really say you've been to a city if you've never left the airport? Can you really say you've been to a port if you don't leave the ship? If there's not an excursion that you really want to do at a given port, that's fine. If nothing else, just getting off and walking around the shops and heading back onboard. 

Once you've been to a place you can make a decision on whether it's worth it to you to get off there on future trips or not. There are places where I'll stay on board but if it's somewhere I've never been I'll get off and at least walk around some.