Odyssey 4/23/2022 TRANSATLANTIC

We are currently on Odyssey TRANSATLANTIC cruise. So far we have a fantastic cruise, very relaxed atmosphere. We have 1800 passenger (16 kids only) and we also have a beautiful Labrador on board, everybody’s favorite. The food is awesome, the crew is amazing. Good entertainment. 
We’ve just docked  in Puerto Rico due to medical emergency (not Covid related). I believe someone had a heart attack last night. After Alpha emergency call last evening, we took a sudden turn to south and our captain announced this morning we have to make this quick emergency stop tonight. We are already pulling away from the dock and heading out to sea. 

We will be staying on Odyssey for 2 months. I am here to answer any questions you might have. 

0DD43891-49B4-4433-8E12-D62121D82A60.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Colombia20102018 said:

I would like to know if the internet is reliable enough to work during sea days between PR and Europe. Thanks

For a newer ship with O3b like Odyssey it should be consistent and similar to how it's been since Odyssey has been in the Caribbean. The O3b satellites are in a moving orbit around the earth so they cover the middle of the Atlantic.

Older ships that don't have O3b rely on satellites that don't cover the middle of the ocean since no one lives there.  Those older satellites point at land masses primarily.  Vision, Voyager and Radiance class internet tends to be sketchy on transatlantics.   

Day 6 Update: We have perfect weather, temperature is about 70 degrees, clear sky. Our beautiful Odyssey gracefully gliding through the ocean. We have a very relaxed atmosphere on board. The food is excellent, I should say the best we ever had on board.  We had our own “drill cruise” about a month ago to check out the ship, and we were very happy to notice at that time that the food was outstanding. Quality of internet service has not changed either. It’s very fast.

Due to the medical emergency stop in San Juan, we are skipping Island Of Madeira. We will be at sea for 10 days and day 11th is Malaga, Spain. Some passengers are disappointed, but I always just go with the flow. If it’s up to me I would just circumnavigate the whole globe without stopping. 

Another subject I wanted  to mention here for those who will be joining Odyssey soon, that the pricing came down on these cruises. We invited my husband’s father to come with us on this voyage (he is a senior -Holland America fan ) and he has a an ocean view balcony. With one 30 minute phone call a couple of days before the cruise, he was able to save $3,400 dollars. We also have my uncle here, he had an interior and he saved $2,300 due to price change. On top of his savings, He was moved to an ocean view balcony. RC just sent an email about the change before boarding. They did not say why. He couldn’t be happier. (they are both booked from April 23rd-June 5th on Odyssey)
They have lectures every day, which is great because my father in law was afraid that he would be board due to his physical limitations. They also have singles meeting every day, they have lunch together etc. He has a great time and constantly being entertained and found new friends. 

Thanks for the update @Blue Waters. I'm sorry to hear you're missing Madeira as it's spectacular. I can totally understand why some passengers are disappointed but I'm glad you're able to take it philosophically. Maybe you'll get to visit at some point in the future. 

The food being good is excellent news. Are you mostly eating in the MDR, WJ or where?

I have been checking our cruise price religiously since I booked but while this latest price drop comes very close, I still have not seen it drop below my rate. Of course, I booked months ago, back when prices were rock bottom because so few people were booking.

Hope everything continues to go well for you. Appreciate you taking the time to post. 🙂

On 4/25/2022 at 10:30 PM, Awar0336 said:

I'm excited to hear about your experience. We're booked on the Odyssey Transatlantic cruise in October 2022!

We are booked on the Odessey Transatlantic in October 2023 so I would like to know how your cruise goes also.  Thanks

1 hour ago, MikeK said:

We are booked on the Odessey Transatlantic in October 2023 so I would like to know how your cruise goes also.  Thanks

Best cruise ever. If I wasn’t booked on Ovation for the Transpacific in October, I would come back to Europe  and sail the Atlantic on Odyssey again. 
We have wonderful weather conditions, really good entertainment, excellent food anywhere you go. Low passenger count is a plus. But it will be full house from May 7th. 
I’ve just realized today that we can control our room temperature, lights, TV from the app. I don’t know if this was available on our prior cruises, I never really looked, but there is a stateroom button in the app now. 
The only thing I don’t like that the Windjammer is self service from day one. But I understand that Royal has to go back to their old ways eventually. 
The internet service is uninterrupted all along. 

Day 13 Update:

We no longer have reliable internet service. Our ship switched internet service provider when we reached the European continent. You have to constantly try to connect to wi-if, but most of the time you won’t succeed. IT crew is working on the issue, but so far they couldn’t fix it - this was the answer from the VOOM desk where people forming long lines.

The crew is not allowed to go to shore due to high Covid positivity rate. Most of them haven’t set foot on dry land for seven months. I feel for them. Our captain encourages all of us to wear a mask from day one in his daily briefing. 

We had a great time in Malaga and Cartagena. We choose the “Tapas tasting in Malaga” RC shore excursion. We had beautiful weather. The only downside, that our guide did not give us free time at the end. 
We’ve explored Cartagena of our own, since the cruise port is near downtown. Despite the rainy and windy conditions we had a great time and we had more Tapas. 

Thank you for all of the Odyssey updates. We are cruising mid June from. Civitavecchia. You mentioned in a post that the ship is due to have a full house. Thank you for that information. We have been wondering what to expect. At one point cabin availability was abundant. Now there are only a few in the booking engine. 

41 minutes ago, SailOR22 said:

Thank you for all of the Odyssey updates. We are cruising mid June from. Civitavecchia. You mentioned in a post that the ship is due to have a full house. Thank you for that information. We have been wondering what to expect. At one point cabin availability was abundant. Now there are only a few in the booking engine. 

Our host told us that around 2000 passenger canceled this Transatlantic cruise. I am crossing fingers for additional cancellations on the upcoming cruises. 
Royal also organized a special shore excursion for Rome, which was available by invitation only for B2B cruisers. First come first serve basis. 

That's a really nice idea for the B2B cruisers! 

It's always hard to tell in the booking engine these days what to expect. RCCL may have some rooms blocked for other uses or due to staffing levels. If you hear any news let us know.  

We were on a Baltic itinerary and switched to the Odyssey. I think that many others may have done the same which gobbled up the abundant inventory. 

• 10 months later...