Disembarking in Rome

• Tammy LR changed the title to Disembarking in Rome
9 hours ago, Riley said:

It's a little ways from the cruise port to the the train terminal (you can walk it... I think it's 3/4 of a mile) - I would not book a ticket prior to 9 am as either walking or waiting for the local bus takes time; as well as clearing customs etc. Have fun!

Good thought. Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Is there a big price difference in the prebooked tickets on that commuter train?

I'm definitely not the expert by any means, but I believe there is no difference by booking ahead of time, but rather it ensures you have a seat on the train. I don't think it's a specific seat, just that we get one.

Depending on where the ship docks, it is quite a hike from the dock to the entry of the port, and then a bit of a walk to the train station. When we disembarked in 2019, there were busses that ran from the terminal to the port entry, but it was a sea of humanity trying to get on one, so we walked it. I'm guessing it took 30ish minutes to walk from the terminal to the train station (this was also on MSC, so there's that). Also, the train is a commuter train, so the morning rush hour will be going on, be prepared.

On 4/26/2022 at 3:44 PM, Riley said:

It's a little ways from the cruise port to the the train terminal (you can walk it... I think it's 3/4 of a mile) - I would not book a ticket prior to 9 am as either walking or waiting for the local bus takes time; as well as clearing customs etc. Have fun!

Interestingly, the cruise ship shuttle service seems to have changed: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

What is reasonable: Walk from the Train Station to pedestrian entrance Varco fortessa and the jump on a shuttle, or is it necessary to reach the central point (Largo della Pace)?

On 4/27/2022 at 9:55 PM, Auto said:

Depending on where the ship docks, it is quite a hike from the dock to the entry of the port, and then a bit of a walk to the train station. When we disembarked in 2019, there were busses that ran from the terminal to the port entry, but it was a sea of humanity trying to get on one, so we walked it. I'm guessing it took 30ish minutes to walk from the terminal to the train station (this was also on MSC, so there's that). Also, the train is a commuter train, so the morning rush hour will be going on, be prepared.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help.

20 minutes ago, Tammy LR said:

If we do self-assist debarkation, do we have time to eat breakfast on the ship?

If you do self assist, you can get off the ship anytime you want. So it's up to you if you have time to eat

I wrote to the Port Authority regarding embarking (!) on a cruise ship: They said, there are now direkt public bus transfers from the train station to the cruise ship docks, 3€ pp. 

I wonder, whether this might be possible also vice versa?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 3:07 AM, Carotthat said:

I wrote to the Port Authority regarding embarking (!) on a cruise ship: They said, there are now direkt public bus transfers from the train station to the cruise ship docks, 3€ pp. 

I wonder, whether this might be possible also vice versa?

That's awesome! Thanks for the info.