Swiss Army Knives, Multi-Tools, Etc.....Allowed??

2 hours ago, SpicyCherry said:

Can you bring tools like a Swiss Army Knife-like thing or a Multi-Tool onboard? There's nothing saying you can't bring tools. Anybody know for sure?

Okay, I just cannot stop myself from asking - why do you need a Swiss Army knife on your cruise? Curiosity got the best of me 🥸

26 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Okay, I just cannot stop myself from asking - why do you need a Swiss Army knife on your cruise? Curiosity got the best of me 🥸

Well, he, that is my DH, doesn't have a Swiss Army Knife(thus the ETC in the subject line). He usually has his Multi-Tool with him....has a little screw driver, scissors but also a little blade. He is a Macgyver of sorts, always ready. Let me tell you, that little multi-tool has saved our butts many a time!!

For many years I brought a very small swiss army multi-tool that had a nail file in it, a one inch knife, a pair of tiny scissors, tweezers and the TSA took it from me at an airport before I could even bring one on the ship!  It was $28!  Decided not to take one on a plane or a ship least I have it confiscated again.

8 minutes ago, MKSglitz said:

For many years I brought a very small swiss army multi-tool that had a nail file in it, a one inch knife, a pair of tiny scissors, tweezers and the TSA took it from me at an airport before I could even bring one on the ship!  It was $28!  Decided not to take one on a plane or a ship least I have it confiscated again.

I hear ya....at least if the cruiseline confiscates something, they give it back, but the TSA? Well if all else fails, DH will have to make do with a toenail clipper. I'm sure my Macgyver will make it do what it do!!

1 hour ago, SpicyCherry said:

I hear ya....at least if the cruiseline confiscates something, they give it back, but the TSA? Well if all else fails, DH will have to make do with a toenail clipper. I'm sure my Macgyver will make it do what it do!!

{{imagines whittling with toenail clippers}] 🥵

20 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

If you're in port somewhere, and you decide to hit a local grocery store for a picnic lunch or something, it's kinda nice to have a knife to cut cheese or sausage for crackers.  Or a corkscrew for a quick bottle of wine.

2 hours ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

If you're in port somewhere, and you decide to hit a local grocery store for a picnic lunch or something, it's kinda nice to have a knife to cut cheese or sausage for crackers.  Or a corkscrew for a quick bottle of wine.

True. But you could also be on excursion in a rental car and need a tire jack, you wouldn’t necessarily want to bring that with you as a possibly useful tool. It would be handle to have a paddle board at the beach too, but it won’t fit in most luggage. 🧐 There’s a lot of things it would be nice to have on a cruise, but some of them just seem not worth the trouble to bring. Hmmm picnic on a cruise, I have not done that one. It was not a terribly serious question anyway 😉  

Speaking only for me...

I am normally very self sufficient.  Nowhere do I go that I don't at least have a few basic little tools at my disposal.  And they are used often.  I am naked when I don't have a knife, little scissors, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.

Having these things in a compact little Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman, can be a game changer at times.  I'd never push the issue with TSA, but having them in my checked bag, and then on the ship, if allowed, requires no explanation of the utility.

33 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Speaking only for me...

I am normally very self sufficient.  Nowhere do I go that I don't at least have a few basic little tools at my disposal.  And they are used often.  I am naked when I don't have a knife, little scissors, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.

Having these things in a compact little Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman, can be a game changer at times.  I'd never push the issue with TSA, but having them in my checked bag, and then on the ship, if allowed, requires no explanation of the utility.

You and my DH are certainly cut from the same cloth!! His Leatherman is standard equipment for him. Things we used to be able to bring are no longer allowed. 

37 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Speaking only for me...

Clearly you don’t have to explain it to Royal. If you want to bring a Mickey Mouse suit or an upside down pineapple sign for your door and don’t feel comfortable without them, it okay with me 🥳 But if someone posts on a cruise board, it’s going to bring up the question in the mind of a great many people who cruise. But luckily @SpicyCherryhas a good sense of humor (along with her Swiss Army knife like tool 😎).