Diamond member drink vouchers and the Bionic Bar

ChanaC

Does anyone know how the Diamond member drink vouchers work if you want to get a drink at the Bionic Bar? I know the vouchers are virtual and loaded into member's cards. When you order at the Bionic Bar and swipe your card, will it know to deduct one of the drink credits, assuming it's under the voucher amount (I think $13 or $14)? At bars I plan on telling the bartender that we have the drink vouchers, but not sure how it works with a virtual bartender.

14 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

My young sons were obsessed with it, but to me, I see it going the way of the Dodo bird in time

I am an adult and I was obsessed with it as well 🙂 I so suspect they will disappear as upgrades occurs because it was never busy on Oasis back in February.  I got the majority of my drinks at the Bionic bar because is was never busy and as a non-alcoholic person, it was neat and fun to see all the various combos and how they tasted, so I know what i may want to get later in life at a "regular" bar.  Too bad the Bionic bar couldn't do the Blueberry "no"jito, or I would have lived at the Bionic bar.

Bionic bar at first seems like a good and fun idea, but do it once and there is really no reason to go back to it.  Between people not knowing how to work the touch screens, to the mess it creates, it's not worth it.  I like the interaction with a human bartender, and a human bartender can make multiple drinks in the same amount of time the bionic bar takes to make one, especially when factoring in how long it takes people to enter their orders.  I am surprised they are still adding them to new ships.  

On a typical cruise 50% of cruisers are new to Royal.  The Bionic Bar is a marketing tool that looks great when potential cruise ship guests are comparing Royal to the competition.  Each cruise line has gimmicky marketing videos featuring things that look cool. 

On a recent Harmony cruise the Bionic Bar was often very busy, busier than the Champagne bar on Allure which is something I hate to admit because I loved the Champagne Bar.  

So it may not be your thing but the Bionic Bar does serve a purpose.

I used to work at Walt Disney World, right as they rolled out Magic Bands (bands that contained your park ticket, room key, credit card, Photopass card, etc.). In one of the employee meetings a manager told use that they expected to see a spike in purchases. Sure, you don't need to buy that bottle of Coke, but look, you can do it on your Magic Band, without even opening your wallet! How cool! Don't you all want to try it out yourself?!?

Seems like the Bionic Bar is the same concept. Sure, you could just order a drink from a bartender, but look at this cool machine that also makes drinks. Don't you want to buy one, or two, or three to see it make your drink?! Wouldn't that be so cool?!

Like other's said, it's probably just a gimmick that might encourage people to buy more drinks. Or, if you are deciding between a RC cruise or another company, it's just another cool perk that might sway you to sail with them.

Personally, I kind of want to try out the "make your own drink" option because I would like to see what I could come up with instead of bothering a bartender. I also tend to like fruitier, sweeter "vacation" drinks, which seems like a big thing the bionic bar does. But at the end of the day if I want a quality margarita with real lime juice I would prefer to go to a real bartender. If anything it might be cool to sit and watch it make other people's drinks, just because it does seem like a cool piece of machinery.  

I tried it and it was meh, not the worst drink ever but nowhere near anything delicious. At the time I was star class, so I wasn't paying. I definitely wouldn't spend hard earned vouchers, if that was possible, or money on drinks from the bionic bar. It is very much a novelty that gets more meh after the first use.