Europe/Italy Definition of Up to Date?

We have a Sept cruise booked out of Italy.  I am reading the covid vaccine requirements and having it jive with the USA recommendations seems odd.  We got our boosters back in October and will be outside of the 270 days to be considered "up to date" by EMA/EU standards.  Do we go get another shot outside of the 2 shot with a booster series to be up to date? or is the USA 3 shot series enough?

@Matt another good topic for the European summer cruise series. 

Hi we are sailing out of civitacchia Italy may 7 and have to have antigen test no more than one day before sailing but we are travelling from uk all day anybody know anywhere we can get tested in civitacchia on Saturday before cruise royal caribbean have been no help whatsoever if I wasn’t so looking forward to the cruise would tell them to shove it

The way I am reading it you have to have received a shot within 270 days of your cruise which for us would be a 4th shot/2nd booster, not currently with the CDC guidelines.  I don't want to deal with the testing to go to the ports, just don't know if I need another shot to meet EU guidelines.  Of course got 5 months for this to change as well. 

On 4/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, AndrewPunch said:

The way I am reading it you have to have received a shot within 270 days of your cruise which for us would be a 4th shot/2nd booster, not currently with the CDC guidelines.  I don't want to deal with the testing to go to the ports, just don't know if I need another shot to meet EU guidelines.  Of course got 5 months for this to change as well. 

There guidelines for Europe are ALL over the place. They state you must be up to date according to the EMA. If you go to the EMA website it clearly states they have nothing to do with travel recommendations and that their sole purpose is to approve vaccinations and medicines for use in the EU, LOL. I have got 5 months to go as well and I am just not gonna worry about it until 30 days to go. I to had my booster in October 2021 and live in the UK where a 4th is not an option for my age group.

The wording on the vaccination requirements section of the "Getting ready to sail page" has been updated in the last 24 hours or so. Note in particular the addition of the sentence I have highlighted below, which is in line with the EU's definition of "up-to-date", given that boosters currently have no expiry date. So, if you have had a booster, it doesn't matter when you had it; you're good to go and don't need another.

Vaccination Requirement

All Royal Caribbean guests age 12 and older must present proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing.

For the best experience on cruises from Italy, we strongly recommend that guests age 6 and up should be “up to date” on their COVID-19 vaccination per the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

To be considered up to date by all European countries we sail to, your vaccination must meet both of the following requirements.

1. You received your most recent vaccine dose no more than 9 months (270 days) ago. This could have been the final dose in your original vaccine series (or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson), or a booster dose. Guests that have received a booster dose will qualify regardless of the amount of time that has passed since receiving their booster.

2 hours ago, Spang1974 said:

There guidelines for Europe are ALL over the place. They state you must be up to date according to the EMA. If you go to the EMA website it clearly states they have nothing to do with travel recommendations 

I believe the main issue is the fact countries have different requirements so RC has just decided 2 vaccines and booster for all sailings no matter where about in Europe sailing is from.

44 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

The wording on the vaccination requirements section of the "Getting ready to sail page" has been updated in the last 24 hours or so. Note in particular the addition of the sentence I have highlighted below, which is in line with the EU's definition of "up-to-date", given that boosters currently have no expiry date. So, if you have had a booster, it doesn't matter when you had it; you're good to go and don't need another.

Vaccination Requirement

All Royal Caribbean guests age 12 and older must present proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing.

For the best experience on cruises from Italy, we strongly recommend that guests age 6 and up should be “up to date” on their COVID-19 vaccination per the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

To be considered up to date by all European countries we sail to, your vaccination must meet both of the following requirements.

1. You received your most recent vaccine dose no more than 9 months (270 days) ago. This could have been the final dose in your original vaccine series (or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson), or a booster dose. Guests that have received a booster dose will qualify regardless of the amount of time that has passed since receiving their booster.

Finally they have clarified things:) Woohoo!

I just read through the current sailing rules for Spain departure. Adults over 270 days since vaccination can sail without booster but require testing done on ship at $55 before going on shore in France and Italy. It doesn’t state if this test must be done for each stop or one test covers all stops. I submitted this question to Royal and will post their reply.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, Chris 12 said:

Hi we are sailing out of civitacchia Italy may 7 and have to have antigen test no more than one day before sailing but we are travelling from uk all day anybody know anywhere we can get tested in civitacchia on Saturday before cruise royal caribbean have been no help whatsoever if I wasn’t so looking forward to the cruise would tell them to shove it

You might want to order test kits from Royal/Optum now so you have a backup -- you would need internet access to arrange a proctored test with your kit.

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

You might want to order test kits from Royal/Optum now so you have a backup -- you would need internet access to arrange a proctored test with your kit.

Could be wrong but dont think these tests are available in UK 

17 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Am I reading correctly that if you were vaccinated less than 270 days before embarkation, you will be allowed entry even if you are not boosted?  We have a family member that is vaxxed but not boosted yet.

I believe it needs to be less than 270 days before final disembarkation but, yes, because that would be classed as up-to-date. Once you pass that 270 day deadline you'd be fully vaxxed but not up-to-date. 

On 4/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, Chris 12 said:

If you’re on Facebook, join this group and ask. It’s a tour outfit but they are very responsive to questions 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455146132364742/?ref=share

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Correct, I read they only ship to US.  Didn't know OP was from UK.

All of these test requirements fry my brain 😆 i know it was bad enough for me planning to go to US which was only one rule, so i cannot begin to imagine how stressful it is for those other side of pond wanting to visit a few countries in EU where rules differ depending which country you are in.

38 minutes ago, Ray said:

All of these test requirements fry my brain 😆 i know it was bad enough for me planning to go to US which was only one rule, so i cannot begin to imagine how stressful it is for those other side of pond wanting to visit a few countries in EU where rules differ depending which country you are in.

I know. What a pain in the neck. Currently, most European countries seem to be 2 days, which isn't too bad, but Italy and Greece are both just 1 day. 😬