Check-In Experiences - UPDATED 05/11

UPDATED ADDITIONAL QUESTION AND ANSWER:

5. Is ArriveCan registration necessary to sail to Alaska even if you DO NOT get off of the ship in Canada?

ANSWER: Yes.  As long as your Alaskan cruise ship is in Canadian navigable waters, all passengers on the ship must have registered with ArriveCan prior to boarding. 

Here is the thing though...you cannot complete the registration UNTIL 72 HOURS PRIOR TO EMBARKATION.  I think that this information is very important to be emphasized.  

My suggestion is to download the App and begin pre-registration.  Don't forget to complete it in the three days prior to boarding.

• CruisingNewb changed the title to Check-In Experiences - UPDATED 05/11
  • 2 weeks later...

apologies for the bump ...

we are sailing on 6/14 out of Cape Liberty.  I am getting my passport renewed on 6/3 (walk-in appointment, so I'll have the new one in hand when I walk out of there).

Should I wait until the new passport is in my possession to do online check in?  Or can I input the old passport number and then override it later with the new one?  I don't want to screw up the process.  I can't remember if that field is editable once you've done it.  

I don't really care about check-in time since we'll be in Newark all morning at the hotel, so I'm not in a rush to check in online right now.  Plus if I wait, maybe the RoyalUp will have gone through by then 😆

45 minutes ago, PurdueFlyer said:

we are sailing on 6/14 out of Cape Liberty.  I am getting my passport renewed on 6/3 (walk-in appointment, so I'll have the new one in hand when I walk out of there).

Should I wait until the new passport is in my possession to do online check in?  Or can I input the old passport number and then override it later with the new one?  I don't want to screw up the process.  I can't remember if that field is editable once you've done it.  

I don't really care about check-in time since we'll be in Newark all morning at the hotel, so I'm not in a rush to check in online right now.  Plus if I wait, maybe the RoyalUp will have gone through by then 😆

You can get your arrival time (most refer to it as check in time) now, utilizing your old passport and you can edit it later when you get your new passport.  Bayonne is pretty strict about adhering to your arrival time.  Good luck with your Royal Up.

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

You can get your arrival time (most refer to it as check in time) now, utilizing your old passport and you can edit it later when you get your new passport.  Bayonne is pretty strict about adhering to your arrival time.  Good luck with your Royal Up.

roger, thanks !

8 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

You sure you get a passport in hand for in-person renewal appointments?  

We had in-person appointments for renewals prior to Covid and they told us to expect passports in the mail in ten days.  Not trying to cause anxiety but if you aren't sure, you may want to find out and have a back up plan.  I don't really know if there are new options, just commenting based upon my past experience.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

its different now, you have to have have INTL travel scheduled, and you can only start calling to book your appointment 14 days before the date of travel.  Once you are within the 14 day call-in window, they will assign you an appointment within 5 days business days of your trip.  At the appointment they process everything and hand you the passport.  Some people have appointments the day they are leaving for the INTL departing flight.  

its really a horrible process frankly, you can't book or even search for appointment availability online. You have to call the 800 number.  Appointments are gone with in seconds of someone else cancelling it, so you have to call the 800 number multiple times a day.  and of course most people don't live in the city where they can get an appointment.  

8 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

its different now, you have to have have INTL travel scheduled, and you can only start calling to book your appointment 14 days before the date of travel.  Once you are within the 14 day call-in window, they will assign you an appointment within 5 days business days of your trip.  At the appointment they process everything and hand you the passport.  Some people have appointments the day they are leaving for the INTL departing flight.  

its really a horrible process frankly, you can't book or even search for appointment availability online. You have to call the 800 number.  Appointments are gone with in seconds of someone else cancelling it, so you have to call the 800 number multiple times a day.  and of course most people don't live in the city where they can get an appointment.  

That is good information to know.  Good luck.

12 hours ago, Meangreen said:

Check In Just opened for us, but when I click on arrival time it just keeps saying wait until closer to your sailing.  How do I get an arrival time?  Just keep trying?

Give it some time. Happened yesterday to us too. 

Long story short, it opened up the next morning

Not cruise check-in but flight. Doing all the document uploads to united for a Vancouver flight. No option to upload a vax card for my 10 yr old. Then it won't let us check in because they want to see a negative test, even though their own app acknowledges that unvaxed (even though he's vaxed) under 12 don't need a test to get into Canada anyway when accompanied by vaccinated adults

On 4/28/2022 at 2:05 PM, FireFishII said:

Thanks for all the information I have been reading on this thread.  VERY HELPFUL.

Here is a new question that I have not seen the answer for:

I am traveling with 2 other families (all extended family members).  We have all linked our reservations together (3 reservations - 6 people).  Can I check in everyone or just my husband, who is on my reservation?

We have 3 reservations linked together and I was able to get check in times for all 8 of us this morning using the APP.

16 minutes ago, MrHaga said:

If things happen and you do not reach your scheduled arrival time, is it a problem to board a few hours later. (As long as its before latest Arrival time.)?

I've read posts that if you miss your scheduled time you are told to wait in line and periodically those in line are processed in as time permits.  Royal wants you to sail.