Symphony vs. Allure

My husband and I changed our sailing yesterday and turns out we’ll be getting FCC. I could wait to book a cruise for next year, but that wouldn’t be the most fun and he seems to be on board with booking  another Oasis class in August (we just got off Wonder and will be doing Oasis in June).

We are trying to choose between Allure and Symphony in the same type of room. We have gone on Allure twice before and love it. Allure is 8 nights going to Aruba, which is one place we haven’t gotten to cruise to. Symphony is 7 nights and going to CocoCay (plus Mexico) and they have plenty of openings in all cabanas, which we have been dying to even be able to consider to do haha!

We’re at the point where we tend to enjoy the ship while others get off to do ports- but Aruba/CocoCay being the exception.

Would anyone suggest one over the other?

I can't put my finger on it but I really like the Symphony the best of all.  We've been on both Symphony and Allure, so far.  They are as different as they are the same, kinda.  What, you say?  Well, they aren't exactly the same.  Playmakers (Symphony) vs. Sabor (Allure), Hooked (Symphony) vs. No Hooked (Allure), Ultimate Abyss (Symphony) vs. No Ultimate Abyss (Allure), Giovanni's (Allure) vs. Jamie's (Symphony), and much more.  Even though I like the Symphony the best, I really prefer Sabor over Playmakers, I love Mexican food and I'm no longer a sports fan, Symphony has the El Loco Fresh but I like the Bar/Grill atmosphere of Sabor better.  

So, you may want to go through all the amenities, activities, dining venues, et al, compare between the two ships and find out what is most important to you.  Maybe do a "PRO"/"CON" of each and add'em-up and you may answer your own questions.  

HOWEVER, I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Just sit back and enjoy when it does happen.  

Decisions, decisions!  Our next cruise (wife and me) will be on Allure, in part because it was a good deal for Oasis class.  We also love two of the venues on this ship that we want to enjoy again before they are amplified away some day: the Champagne Bar and Sabor.  Aruba is also a big plus on your itinerary. 

I would second @AshleyDillo if only because the funds you save on the cheaper cruise can go toward the next one. 😄       

5 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I loved Aruba so much when I visited it on a cruise that I went back for a land vacay.

Symphony is a newer, sleeker Oasis class ship, though. If I had to make the choice honestly it would be whichever is cheaper since I don't care about waterslides.

Next to Grand Cayman, Aruba is my favorite.  Both don't have aggressive sidewalk assaulters.  Not that I've experienced.  I really dislike the venders that jump out in front of you and try to verbally force you into their store and/or try to sell you drugs.  You can say that you aren't interested all day and they won't give you up until you're well past their door/entrance/building.  

Both are great ships.  I've sailed Allure twice since the restart and love that ship!

Symphony is also a great ship and being newer she does have newer decor and newer venues like Playmakers and Hooked.

Allure has Mamma Mia! while Symphony has Hairspray, assuming they manage to get all the Broadway shows in full operation by the time of your cruise.

Symphony also has Flight as the secondary show which hasn't restarted yet since the restart that I am aware of.  (EDIT outdated info)

If the proposed cruise is in the near term they may not have all the shows up and running so that may be a moot point.  Mamma Mia! has been offered on Allure since the restart but that is subject to change since its very difficult to fill casts and backstage crew or keep them filled after contracts end at the moment. 

Both ships will offer a great cruise experience so you can't go wrong either way.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Both are great ships.  I've sailed Allure twice since the restart and love that ship!

Symphony is also a great ship and being newer she does have newer decor and newer venues like Playmakers and Hooked.

Allure has Mamma Mia! while Symphony has Hairspray, assuming they manage to get all the Broadway shows in full operation by the time of your cruise.

Symphony also has Flight as the secondary show which hasn't restarted yet since the restart that I am aware of.  

If the proposed cruise is in the near term they may not have all the shows up and running so that may be a moot point.  Mamma Mia! has been offered on Allure since the restart but that is subject to change since its very difficult to fill casts and backstage crew or keep them filled after contracts end at the moment. 

Both ships will offer a great cruise experience so you can't go wrong either way.

We were on Symphony in Dec and Flight was performed but there were some technical difficulties and they had to stop and restart a few times. Felt sorry for the cast as they were stopped, lights and sound went out while they were mid song.  

I would base my decision on the itinerary.  

This coming December we are on Harmony 8 night cruise, I specifically chose this cruise because of the itinerary.  It's probably been 10 years since I've been to Aruba and neither my husband or I have ever been to Curacao so instead of booking Wonder, Symphony, Oasis or Allure we decided to book Harmony because of the itinerary.  

We have upcoming sailings on both Symphony and Allure.  We have sailed Allure years back.  We specifically chose Allure this time for the itinerary (Aruba and Curacao) and because we wanted to sail her again before she gets amplified.  Nice to walk the boardwalk without the Ultimate Abyss slide; still has the donut shop amongst other things that could change when amped. We booked Symphony afterwards but if choosing one, right now, we would choose Allure.

Thank you all! You have given me plenty to think about!!

I try to get on as many ships as possible, but my heart loves Allure from fond memories on trips past and typically it is so hard to get on an itinerary to Aruba so I think I am leaning that way! We will see if those FCC ever come in though 🤣

I truly think you are all right and that you can’t go wrong with either! Thank you again!

Guess it depends...are you more about the ship or the stops?  We pick based on ship but that's just us.  Both are amazing ships, but if I were picking Symphony vs Allure, I'd pick Symphony just for being newer (even though I love Mamma Mia).  Another factor for me is to go on a ship I haven't been on yet.  It's fun to explore and see new things (and new shows), even if they are more similar than different.   I assume you are going without kids?  If so, the waterslides and dry slide may not matter (although I love the Abyss).

So for us, we'd pick Symphony, but if ports /Aruba are a priority, then you may want Allure again (plus for the extra night)

We sailed on the Allure this past December, granted with everything going on in the world we thought that at that time, the Allure was showing a bit of age.  Before the pandemic the Allure was supposed to be "amped" and that did not happen and not sure of the status now.  Please don't get me wrong, most everything was wonderful, and other than showing some signs of age it was like I said wonderful.  Thanks to Pandemic, our Symphony cruise was canceled and have not sailed on her yet (on the list way down the road),  😃 

Below are some facts about both ships, and Allure is 8 years older than Symphony (sometimes newer has more to see and do).

Allure facts:                                                                                                                    Symphony facts:

Years old: 12                                                                                                             Years old: 4

Tons: 225282                                                                                                           Tons: 228081 

Speed: 22.0                                                                                                              Speed: 23.0  

Length: 1181                                                                                                             Length: 1188 

Beam: 213                                                                                                                Beam: 217   

Cabins: 2745                                                                                                            Cabins: 2745 

Crew: 2150                                                                                                                Crew: 2394  

Passengers: 5490 to 6314                                                                                       Passengers: 5475 to 6314 

Space Ratio: 36                                                                                                         Space Ratio: 36 

Total decks: 17  Decks with cabins: 10                                                                    Total decks: 17  Decks with cabins: 10

Hope this helps