Help a Suite Newbie do no wrong

@WAAAYTOOO  @Lovetocruise2002 first off thank you for your posts and live blogs I have already learned so much from them. They have also helped to calm some of my post booking excitement. 

While I feel like I have a handle of things over all there are a few things I wanted to double check.

Background DW and I have booked our first Suite ever on SY in September in a Crown Loft Suite to celebrate both of our 40th birthdays.  Our bdays are exactly 8 days apart and mine will fall on the cruise.  We are not new at all to cruising just new to this level.  I apologize if any of these questions are repetitive in other places, some of them I have seen answers that contradict each other.  But I trust your answers. 

Embarkation: I know if you are star class you avoid the porters is this the same for sky class or do you give bags to normal porters? (Man I already sound sloppy, haha)

CK/Suite lounge

Is it best to make reservations for dinner or is it OK to just show up?  Will there be a long wait? We like the flexibility. 

During happy hour in SL I know there are limited liquors available, are any drinks frowned upon or not allowed? I.E. blended drinks, mai tais .  Also do you know if they can do Moscow Mules?(our favorite drink)

The 11 to 11 drink time in SL, if it is still going on when we sail.  If I run in either from our room or elsewhere on the ship will they allow me to grab 2 drinks to bring 1 to my wife say if she is not with me?

Shows: reserve or just show up and sit in Suite seats? I've seen live blogs where people have reserved shows but I thought this wasn't need because there are reserved seats for Suite guests. 

I'm sure I'll think of more between now and September. Thank you for your time and answers.  I will pay for now with a Dad joke.

My dog is really smart.  I think he might even be a genius because the other day I asked him what 1 - 1 was.  He looked up at me and said nothing.

1 hour ago, Generalchadwick said:

@WAAAYTOOO  @Lovetocruise2002 first off thank you for your posts and live blogs I have already learned so much from them. They have also helped to calm some of my post booking excitement. 

While I feel like I have a handle of things over all there are a few things I wanted to double check.

Background DW and I have booked our first Suite ever on SY in September in a Crown Loft Suite to celebrate both of our 40th birthdays.  Our bdays are exactly 8 days apart and mine will fall on the cruise.  We are not new at all to cruising just new to this level.  I apologize if any of these questions are repetitive in other places, some of them I have seen answers that contradict each other.  But I trust your answers. 

Embarkation: I know if you are star class you avoid the porters is this the same for sky class or do you give bags to normal porters? (Man I already sound sloppy, haha)

CK/Suite lounge

Is it best to make reservations for dinner or is it OK to just show up?  Will there be a long wait? We like the flexibility. 

During happy hour in SL I know there are limited liquors available, are any drinks frowned upon or not allowed? I.E. blended drinks, mai tais .  Also do you know if they can do Moscow Mules?(our favorite drink)

The 11 to 11 drink time in SL, if it is still going on when we sail.  If I run in either from our room or elsewhere on the ship will they allow me to grab 2 drinks to bring 1 to my wife say if she is not with me?

Shows: reserve or just show up and sit in Suite seats? I've seen live blogs where people have reserved shows but I thought this wasn't need because there are reserved seats for Suite guests. 

I'm sure I'll think of more between now and September. Thank you for your time and answers.  I will pay for now with a Dad joke.

My dog is really smart.  I think he might even be a genius because the other day I asked him what 1 - 1 was.  He looked up at me and said nothing.

Welcome to the Suite life !  The CLS is really awesome....although I have not been in 1 on SY.  I am sure they are all pretty similar.

1.  do you give bags to normal porters?

Yes.  Just make sure that your luggage tags are on and turn them into the regular curbside porters (along with a tip, hopefully !)

2.  Is it best to make reservations for dinner or is it OK to just show up?  Will there be a long wait?

I assume you are asking about the Coastal Kitchen.  Yes, you will have the best experience if you have reservations.  In the before-times, I would always ask the Suites Concierge to make any dining reservations that I wanted, before we got onboard....but I'm not sure they are doing that anymore (haven't sailed since the restart).  Even if you are not able to make reservations until onboard, the Concierge can do that for you and I recommend that you DO make reservations to whatever extent you can, in advance.  There is often a short wait while your table is being prepared, even if you have reservations. It is generally not long.  Of course, all of this depends upon the circumstances of the moment but generally they are very efficient at handling their expected crowds.

3.  reserve or just show up and sit in Suite seats?

In the past, you did not need reservations for shows (except for the comedy club) and you just showed up and sat in the reserved section.  This is an excellent question to ask your Concierge once he/she contacts you prior to boarding.  It never hurts to have reservations....I'm just not sure you will need them.

4.  are any drinks frowned upon or not allowed?

I can't think of any drink that would be disallowed or frowned upon....but there are certainly limitations on what the Suites Lounge will have available.  For instance, to my knowledge, the SL does not have a blender....so any kind of drink requiring a blender (mudslide, for example) simply isn't available.  Bottom line...they will not run down to another bar and get you a blender drink.  The "free" drinks at the SL are limited to what they physically have available.

5.  If I run in either from our room or elsewhere on the ship will they allow me to grab 2 drinks to bring 1 to my wife say if she is not with me?

This will be a local SL call....but my guess would be that as long as you bring your wife's seapass card with you, they would give you a second drink.  ...but don't be disappointed if they say "no".  In general, if they can physically see the person for whom you are getting a drink, they will do it...but if they cannot tell for SURE exactly where that drink is going, they may not.  

Sorry.  I think I got a couple of those out of order.

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This will be a local SL call....but my guess would be that as long as you bring your wife's seapass card with you, they would give you a second drink.  ...but don't be disappointed if they say "no".  In general, if they can physically see the person for whom you are getting a drink, they will do it...but if they cannot tell for SURE exactly where that drink is going, they may not.  

Be nice to your servers and the concierge and this likely won't be an issue if they've seen your face in the lounge a few times. On the first night, likely not.

The Harmony concierge asked for our dining preferences in the welcome letter and then ensured we had the reservations we wanted in place prior to boarding.  They indicated we only needed reservations for the Comedy show and there would be suite sections available for the other shows up to 15 minutes prior (then the section was opened to all guests).  This was pretty much how it worked.   We did not use the SL so I can’t speak to that.

Post Covid they have all been requiring reservations for shows for even suites and pinnacles. They are checking at the door (even for the adult comedy club). Note that the “reserved” areas can be in the balcony of Oasis level ships, so not necessarily the best seats for you if and when they return to pre-Covid protocols. Also pre-Covid they would take care of all your reservations before hand, post covid many of them are asking you to wait to do at least the entertainment reservations once you get on board. If you have to do that the process is fairly quick with the concierge during embarkation lunch. Although our concierge was willing to do it for us several days out before our cruise last week, one of the shows got changed around and we ended up arriving up for a show that had been moved 2 1/2 hours later. ☹️  So in some cases waiting could be better.

2 hours ago, Generalchadwick said:

sky class or do you give bags to normal porters?

Give bags to normal porters.  Make sure they are tagged.  They are pretty efficient at Terminal A, you won't have a hard time finding one.

Is it best to make reservations for dinner or is it OK to just show up? 

Yes, even in a full suite, it's best to make reservations.  You can always attempt to make changes as the week goes along but best to have something reserved to start.

I.E. blended drinks,

As @WAAAYTOOOalready mentioned, I don't think they have a blender.  I usually get cocktails in the SL so I cannot be 100% sure.  

reserve or just show up

Even in a full suite, I like to make reservation via the suite concierge.

They have recently changed the allowable bar drinks to include most liquors including call brands.  In the past it was limited selection,New Amsterdam vodka, bacardi, jose Cuervo etc.  horrible wines.   Now if you ask for a drink use the brand you want otherwise you get the cheapest available.  You should be able to grab drinks for your wife and take them out.

1 hour ago, MLH said:

They have recently changed the allowable bar drinks to include most liquors including call brands.  In the past it was limited selection,New Amsterdam vodka, bacardi, jose Cuervo etc.  horrible wines.   Now if you ask for a drink use the brand you want otherwise you get the cheapest available.  You should be able to grab drinks for your wife and take them out.

Yes they did and it was after I had a long sit down with a concierge on Allure in November 2021 about the insanity of that whole “list” they had in the SL.  I laid out my case, including the fact that we were paying quite a lot for that short period of having free drinks, that it was not applied on some other ships, and that D-Pinnacles were not restricted to such a list;  he went to the upper management and he came back the next day and said as a result this policy would  be changed fleetwide. Glad to hear that is continuing as promised. Sometimes speaking up (respectfully) does make real change happen. 🎉🥳

14 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Yes they did and it was after I had a long sit down with a concierge on Allure in November 2021 about the insanity of that whole “list” they had in the SL.  I laid out my case, including the fact that we were paying quite a lot for that short period of having free drinks, that it was not applied on some other ships, and that D-Pinnacles were not restricted to such a list;  he went to the upper management and he came back the next day and said as a result this policy would  be changed fleetwide. Glad to hear that is continuing as promised. Sometimes speaking up (respectfully) does make real change happen. 🎉🥳

I agree. On Allure it was the old list even after being on several other ships where it had changed.  I constantly put that on my survey as  well.  I also email Mark Tamis telling him that it needed to be consistent across the lines.  So happy it changed!  My liver not so much

2 hours ago, MLH said:

I agree. On Allure it was the old list even after being on several other ships where it had changed.  I constantly put that on my survey as  well.  I also email Mark Tamis telling him that it needed to be consistent across the lines.  So happy it changed!  My liver not so much

Ha! It’s just I had taken one too many “no’s” from a SL bartender and I just thought it was absurd. All I wanted was one Mai Tai at night - one! I had gotten that on the symphony the week before without issue. That “no” on Allure was truly irritating and my evil twin came out (my poor husband 🤣).

Dexter was a “get it done” kind of concierge, which is why I selected him for the sit down. We probably talked half an hour and he took it very seriously. Even I was a little shocked when it got that kind of action, but I was so happy that it did (I don’t know if I’ll be back on the Allure anytime soon, but I was super pleased that other people weren’t going to go through the frustration I had gone through every time I was on Allure).

Sorry about your liver 😇

50 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Wow, that’s pretty impressive.  Just one conversation with the SC?

I’m not trying to be impressive. Just saying what happened. For two days he took it up the chain. Sometimes it doesn’t take something outstanding, but just someone to make the effort. It just was a right effort at the right time (and the right concierge). Perhaps he was lying to me, but it does seem to have changed so maybe not. Feel free to check with Dexter Fraser if you see him (he is now a genie on Allure) if your doubts give you indigestion 😉

15 minutes ago, Pooch said:

No indigestion just a healthy dose of skepticism.  But kudos to you!

It was very clear there was a lot of skepticism, that was impossible to miss as I assume you intended. I really don’t need to post about things on board for the sake of my ego, it’s not my style. I was just reporting something that happened. It may have been an act of God instead. Glad it is done.

33 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

I’m not trying to be impressive. Just saying what happened. For two days he took it up the chain. Sometimes it doesn’t take something outstanding, but just someone to make the effort. It just was a right effort at the right time (and the right concierge). Perhaps he was lying to me, but it does seem to have changed so maybe not. Feel free to check with Dexter Fraser if you see him (he is now a genie on Allure) if your doubts give you indigestion 😉

Dexter is on Ovation, right now.  Just for clarification.  

15 minutes ago, Generalchadwick said:

In the Port of Miami is it pretty clear where to go as a suite guest?  I'm the kind of person that might over look things and stand in a long line only to get to the front of that line and realize I should have gone over there where I would have walked right in.

Yes. But if for some reason you don’t see the “Suites & Pinnacles”/Star signs, just ask any of the staff outside the point you in the right direction. Miami’s often has no line, such a fast process there usually, so you aren’t necessarily looking for where the crowd is going.

1200hrs has been our experience for CK opening for lunch. (Oasis & Odyssey) We gravitate to the CK venue as it is so gorgeous. The menu is a bit  limited but we enjoy it when we have just experienced "hectic" and want to relax.  It is a beautiful way to start your vacation.

We have done the Solarium, Chop's, Giovanni's & CK for lunch on embarkation day and they are all special for very specific reasons. In my humble opinion if in a suite (not Star class) I would opt for CK, for a laid back experience. Check your app for the lunch menu ahead of time just in case there is really nothing you are interested in. Otherwise if in a rush, doing the pool or a spa treatment maybe opt for the Solarium, it's a hidden gem with lots of choices and not as crazy as the Wind Jammer. 

The menu and our mood that day dictates our choice, when we were Star class we did Giovanni's that was very nice also. 

This is the Star Class Banner that is located right next to the main entrance to the terminal in Miami.  It's easy to spot.  If you aren't Star Class, just ask the the Star Class representative that will be nearby for what ever class you are.  But, the banners are usually easy to see.

image.thumb.png.d8c687844a62d48f89f7a989e1c255c0.png

5 hours ago, Generalchadwick said:

Embarkation day Lunch

What time does CK open for lunch?  Do you guys and gals recommend it for lunch?

12pm like @Neesaalready stated.  I remember once (cannot remember now which ship) they took us a few minutes earlier than that. I would recommend CK for lunch if I was sky class. It's nothing to be excited over, but good, and most importantly, calm, compared to the WJ.  The last few times we have sailed Star and I went to Sabor/Playmakers instead.

Last week on Harmony, we felt the day one lunch was better than the night one dinner.  The filet was not the best steak I've ever had, but the short rib thing at lunch was definitely up there.  

To your earlier question, we did make a standing CK dinner reservation ahead of time, but ended up on several nights asking the maître d' to adjust it and it was not an issue.  One thing I wish I'd known, for our first time Oasis class sailing, is how much later entertainment skews than on smaller ships.  You may already know this if you've done this class before.  But I felt a 6 pm dinner would be as late as I could go, and I was so wrong.  We ended up with very little to do until after 9.  After a few nights of this, we adjusted to a later dining time and were much happier.  

Finally, you will adore that CLS!  I don't think I can ever go back to a single bathroom, or to not being right by CK.  Plus, the room was so blissfully quiet! 

• 4 months later...

Yes, be in the moment. Deck 17 is like no other deck. Feel free to take advantage of the included room service on your beautiful balcony. Use the app to see the menu and order from the MDR when open, especially for breakfast at least once. 

Definitely treat yourself to at least one CK breakfast and lunch. The stateroom Attendants are amazing, do you need your formal wear pressed? Give it to them for your included ammenity pressing. 

Check out your pillows, not to your liking ? Order the ones you like, I personally always request a feather pillow. 

Take advantage of the CK debarkation breakfast and Concierge walk off, it's a nice experience when you must depart. 

Most of all enjoy your sailing your way. It's your vacation do as little or as much as you want. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 1:05 PM, Generalchadwick said:

Wanted to come back now and answer my questions now that the cruise is over.  First off everyone is 100% correct, it's going to be very hard not too be on Deck 17 again.  DW and I will definitely do our best to travel this way when it's just us, however at our girls current age(5 and 10) it would not work.  Highlight for us was getting into a routine at night. We would go to the SL around 5 for a drink or 2 before dinner.  Sometimes i would go ahead of DW because she would still be getting ready which I really liked not having to wait in the cabin.  The bar staff quickly learns your preferences and starts making them upon seeing you.  Then CK for dinner and then we would grab 1 last drink as we left to walk around or go to the shows.

Probably the 2nd favorite perk was disembarkation.  Checking into the lounge whenever we wanted and getting the immediate priority elevator straight down to the promenade without stopping at all and then walked past the huge line by the Concierge and right off the ship.  SO WORTH AVOIDING THAT HEADACHE.

If you are a couple celebrating something I 100% recommend doing whatever you can to book a 17th deck suite.

CK/Suite lounge

During happy hour in SL I know there are limited liquors available, are any drinks frowned upon or not allowed? I.E. blended drinks, mai tais .  Also do you know if they can do Moscow Mules?(our favorite drink)  No Blender,  We had at least 4 Moscow Mules a piece each night

The 11 to 11 drink time in SL, if it is still going on when we sail.  If I run in either from our room or elsewhere on the ship will they allow me to grab 2 drinks to bring 1 to my wife say if she is not with me?  Never went to the SL during this time.  So I have no idea about this.  But during HH they knew me by day 2 and would make 2 drinks no problem.

Shows: reserve or just show up and sit in Suite seats? I've seen live blogs where people have reserved shows but I thought this wasn't need because there are reserved seats for Suite guests. We went to a most of the shows.  The only shows we took advantage of the Suite seats was the AT show and Ice show.  Otherwise we just showed up and took the best seats we could find.

Thanks again for everyone's input.  Can't wait to be on 17 again.  We already have 2 cruise booked for 2023 both with our girls so we wont be up top.  We are traveling on IotS and FotS in our favorite room in that class of ship 1864 check it out if you haven't seen before it's the perfect cabin for families with small kids. here are 2 shots from laying in bed showing how epic this room in.

20191202_134338.jpg

20191203_064208.jpg