Please help me love Jamaica

Flypped73

I am booked on a seven-day Western sailing on Allure in March that visits Labadee (thanks for the PERFECTLY timed podcast, Matt), Falmouth, and Cozumel.  After doing a really port-intensive cruise last year on Jewel (5 ports in 6 days), I know I am going to want to make the most out of these three stops.  The problem is, on previous cruise stops in Jamaica I have had incidents that cause me to really dislike this port.

My first trip there involved me having the film (I know that dates the incident) stolen out of my camera then returned to me if I gave them a "tip" for "finding it". The second time I enjoyed a pickpocketing incident.  And the third time, after making some island purchases, I had my credit card information compromised.  On all three visits (especially in the more tourist-y locations) I found the locals to be very aggressive with sales, often surrounding me and being almost threatening. I get that many (most) ports really rely on the dollars of tourism, and I am always interested in supporting by purchasing souvenirs, artwork, local wares and food, but in my experience Jamaica has elevated it to another (very uncomfortable) level.  In the other 19 islands I've been fortunate enough to visit, a polite "no thank you" has always sufficed.  Not so in Jamaica.

So, after that long preamble: I am looking for ways to enjoy Jamaica and some of the natural beauty I've always heard about.  I want to see waterfalls (not Dunn's), or cliffs, or a really nice beach, but want to stay away from the crowds and the tourist areas and the locals who will only see me as a dollar sign. None of the Royal Caribbean excursions seem to offer anything like this, favoring the well-worn super-tourist spots.  Does anyone have any recommendations along these lines for something within reasonable distance of the Falmouth pier that can be achieved (we are in port 10:30 AM-7:00PM)?  If I don't come up with anything, I may well end up just staying on-board and enjoying a less crowded Allure for the day (no threat there, that sounds nice as I sit today in Chicago).  Any tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated.  This forum always seems to come through, so I have hope.  Thanks in advance, all (for those of you who have made it to the end of this rambling post)...    

I am 100% with you on this. I've been to Jamaica on cruise ships no less than 20 times and I am sad to say that I'm done with it. I have had similar experiences of theft and very pushy salespeople (bordering on aggressive). Now that I have 2 young children I prefer to either take voyages avoiding the island or remain on the ship and enjoy a quiet day by the pool. It really is a shame because Jamaica is such a beautiful island but it has been corrupted by tourism $$.

I am 100% with you on this. I've been to Jamaica on cruise ships no less than 20 times and I am sad to say that I'm done with it. I have had similar experiences of theft and very pushy salespeople (bordering on aggressive). Now that I have 2 young children I prefer to either take voyages avoiding the island or remain on the ship and enjoy a quiet day by the pool. It really is a shame because Jamaica is such a beautiful island but it has been corrupted by tourism $$.

Its been a long time since we've been to Jamaica (it was back when they docked at Ocho Rios).  There was some sort of strike or protest going on outside the port compound so we stayed in the safety of that area, after our catamaran excursion to Dunns River Falls.

Does Falmouth not have a fenced in tourist area at the port?

Flypped73 - I totally understand what you are saying.  Cruise lines take you to the most touristy places and the Jamaican locals ARE pushy; much more so than in other Caribbean locales.  

But I've stayed in Jamaica for several weeks at a time on 3 different occasions and have nothing but wonderful memories.  We drove all around the country and saw some beautiful and amazing vistas.  We frequented little thatched hut bars (with ice chests and no electricity) that were buried deep in the jungle, available only by way of worn footpaths.  We toured abandoned sugar cane plantations, overgrown and falling down, with the ruins enveloped in a misty haze.  We drove through mountaintop guava groves that were so overladen the heavy fruit had fallen thick all over the road.  The groves emitted a sweet musty smell as we drove over and smushed hundreds of guavas, with no other car in sight.  We met wonderful, friendly people, sharing the best fried chicken we ever ate (no exaggeration) along with macaroni salad and fried meat pies.  We swam in sparkling pools hidden beneath fern-laden waterfalls, far away from the tourist spots.  We visited Bob Marley's gravesite.  We bounced along a rutted dirt road in a beat-up old school bus, with a monsoon rain pouring down, passing around a jug of Hawaiian Punch mixed with rum, listening to reggae on a boom box, only to have to turn back because the bridge was washed out - one of the best excursions I've ever taken (OK, admittedly I was young).  

I know these are all pretty bohemian memories, but I think you CAN have a good experience in Jamaica.  I would do some online research and book a private driver.  Tell him what you want to see, your timeline and the experience you want to have.  Tell him you don't want to be bugged by locals trying to sell you something.  Tell him to take you to a private palm-studded beach or a secluded restaurant or horseback riding or whatever.  You can vet these guys online and see reviews. 

I would go back in a heartbeat.

Oh and P.S.  I've been to dozens of places in the Carib and the only time I ever had theft was in St. Kitts, supposedly one of the higher-end islands.  Hertz (yes Hertz) employees had given the car security code to all their buddies and our car was broken into and robbed.  Corporate Hertz couldn't care less when I called to complain.

I have stayed at resorts on Jamaica and know first hand how pushy they are....stayed at a 4.5 star resort where they had security standing in the water to keep the pushy locals away..the would literally go stand in the water for hours and wait for you to swim out and harass you to buy stuff..lol

My last visit to Jamaica was on a cruise last Jan....I enjoyed the little "village" area in Falmouth...lots of little shops and restaurants and bars....I realize this is not "real" Jamaica.....and we did venture outside the gates...wow......it was impossible to try and explore on your own without being harassed and followed.

That being said, I am sure on a RCI excursions you would avoid most of that. And Jamaica is beautiful and defn has a lot to see and offer.