Bucket list trip to Australia

LCWind

We are booked on Ovation for a Feb 12, 2023 cruise.  We plan on arriving in Sydney on Feb 3. I would greatly appreciate your advice on the following:

1. How many days should we plan on exploring Sydney?

2. We would also like to visit Melbourne.  How many days should we allot?  What airlines would you recommend from Sydney to Melbourne ?

3. Any other places we must visit as this will be our first time to Australia?

Thanks in advance. 

I have never cruised to Australia, but I normally (in pre-Covid times, and it's starting to ramp up again thankfully) get to Australia about 5-7x yearly for work and have been doing this for more than a decade. Mostly, I am in Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne. So, I am pretty familiar with Australia. 

1. Sydney is definitely worth at least 2-3 days. 

2. Melbourne is my favorite city in the world. And I've been to 120+ countries. Love, love, love Melbourne. Great food, great drink, great sites. 3-4 days easy for Melbourne. As far as airlines between SYD and MEL, either Qantas or Virgin Australia work great and will have many flights each day (probably hourly) to choose from. If you have the time, you could also take the train between Sydney and Melbourne...I've never actually done this because I'm usually in a rush between the two, but it's something to look in to. Note it takes like 11 hours, but there's also an overnight option with sleeper compartments. 

3. There are a million places in Australia worth going to. But for this trip, perhaps just stick to things near Sydney and Melbourne. Near Melbourne, check out the Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island; near Sydney, check our Blue Mountains National Park, Manly Beach (which is pretty much Sydney itself), Ku-Ring-Gai National Park, and the Great Pacific Drive. 

6 hours ago, Zacharius said:

I have never cruised to Australia, but I normally (in pre-Covid times, and it's starting to ramp up again thankfully) get to Australia about 5-7x yearly for work and have been doing this for more than a decade. Mostly, I am in Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne. So, I am pretty familiar with Australia. 

1. Sydney is definitely worth at least 2-3 days. 

2. Melbourne is my favorite city in the world. And I've been to 120+ countries. Love, love, love Melbourne. Great food, great drink, great sites. 3-4 days easy for Melbourne. As far as airlines between SYD and MEL, either Qantas or Virgin Australia work great and will have many flights each day (probably hourly) to choose from. If you have the time, you could also take the train between Sydney and Melbourne...I've never actually done this because I'm usually in a rush between the two, but it's something to look in to. Note it takes like 11 hours, but there's also an overnight option with sleeper compartments. 

3. There are a million places in Australia worth going to. But for this trip, perhaps just stick to things near Sydney and Melbourne. Near Melbourne, check out the Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island; near Sydney, check our Blue Mountains National Park, Manly Beach (which is pretty much Sydney itself), Ku-Ring-Gai National Park, and the Great Pacific Drive. 

This is most helpful.  We would likely fly between the 2 cities as we don’t have a lot of time.  Thanks!

G'day guys. you will love Australia, and there are so many things to see and do in Sydney and Melbourne. 

Sydney suggestions: Harbour Bridge climb (pre-book well ahead of time), Sydney Opera House and Botanical Gardens, ferry to Taronga Zoo, ferry to Manly and Manly beach, bus to Bondi beach and the Bondi to Coogee beach coastal walk, day tour to the Blue Mountains and Three Sisters, Australian Museum, historical walk through the Rocks, wine day tour to the Hunter Valley, Sydney Hop-On Hop-Off bus. Also new is Sydney Zoo where you can get up close with a Koala - https://sydneyzoo.com/experiences/koala-trail/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ6TBhAIEiwAfl4TWKEOWRe--pzzpyELVJY3xoBDiHKCMg2dizL8RJ6yCKWjzwYL1SnlYBoCqJ0QAvD_BwE

Where the Ovation will be docked at is the Overseas Passenger Terminal and it is located where the trains, ferries and buses are. Also walking to many tourist sites. So even on embarkation day, you could drop off your luggage and spend the day sightseeing around the port area.

Link: https://www.australia.com/en/places/sydney-and-surrounds/guide-to-sydney.html

Melbourne suggestions: Royal Botanic Gardena, National Gallery of Victoria, Eureka Sky deck, day tour to Dandenong Ranges, day tour to the 12 Apostles via the Great Ocean Road, Old Melbourne Goal, day tour to Phillip Island and visit with penguins. Lots of cafes and restaurants, and so easy to get around via trams and walking. 

Link: https://www.visitvictoria.com/

Flight to and from via Qantas and Virgin are hourly. You will want at least 2-3 days per city. 

Have an awesome time

On 4/23/2022 at 11:25 PM, LCWind said:

We are booked on Ovation for a Feb 12, 2023 cruise.  We plan on arriving in Sydney on Feb 3. I would greatly appreciate your advice on the following:

2. We would also like to visit Melbourne.  How many days should we allot?  What airlines would you recommend from Sydney to Melbourne ?

Thanks in advance. 

We enjoyed Brisbane and went to Australia Zoo! We found that cruise got us to Melbourne so we could do land stuff after. Trains are great! Can buy cards at airport or train stations.

PS. We took Qantas between Sydney and Brisbane, and to return to US.

Everything @CruisingOz stated I would agree to visiting I would also add a theatre show in Melbourne as they are easily accessible to the city if you are staying there and we have great talent in OZ ...there is also a ferry from Docklands that shows highlights of city if your pressed for time...Virgin Airlines for interstate travel is cheaper than Qantas but just as good...Have a Great holiday

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 11:25 PM, LCWind said:

Thanks in advance. 

I lived in Australia for a little while years ago. I have visited Sydney and would recommend at least 2-3 days there. 
Melbourne is also great to visit and would recommend the same. 
Quantas airline is usually the way to go. That’s how I flew all over the place.  

If time allows I would definitely recommend Cairns, which is where I lived. It’s right by the rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef. Palm Cove was one of my favorite beaches. 

Uluru and The 3 Sisters is other places that would be worth checking out. 

Have a great time!