Victoria BC excursion recs.... Butchart gardens vs exploring the city

5arbusto

Hi-

I will be sailing on Ovation to Alaska in late August and our last port will be Victoria BC.  I've been so pre-occupied with the ports in the Alaska that I'm just looking into things to do in Victoria now.    It seems that the big attraction is Butchart Gardens and would like to have first hand input on those that have been there on a port day.  we will be in port from about 9-6.     For context, my wife and I are in our 40s and my kids are 9 and 12 year old and we will also have 2 active senior citizens with us.   a very diverse group with different interests and activity tolerance.  Our group [more like my daughter & wife] is the type that can't do an all day trip in port.... i would say 4-5 hours would be our max time limit.   

It will be late August, so are the flowers/garden  [specifically the roses] in full bloom?  is it the right season to go?  how many hours do people general spend time there?  is it super crowded.  

Im debating on going to Butchart garden vs exploring downtown and the wharf.  if we do butchart garden we would probably just visit the garden [3-4 hours] and then grab lunch somewhere in town and then head back to the ship.  the alternative would be to explore the city... I really want to check out the parliament bldg and the fisherman's wharf [maybe ride on water taxi].  maybe do a carriage ride or the hop on hop off bus.

is butchart garden a must see... is it worth the time and energy to go all the way out there and back?

• 5arbusto changed the title to Victoria BC excursion recs.... Butchart gardens vs exploring the city

Can't speak to August, but in July the gardens were spectacular (enough so that we're going again next month). For May visits, the Butchart Gardens-only excursion (not combined with something else) is in the afternoon (we're doing the combined Craigdarroch Castle/Butchart Gardens excursion). We'll also do a little general exploring the city.

As much as we love the gardens, if you're only doing one thing I would consider sticking with the general exploration. Getting to Butchart Gardens can be one of the many reasons you'll want to book another Alaska cruise in the future.

I've toured Victoria a couple times.   I'll just share what has worked for us.

Victoria is a big city.  If it's a large attraction excursion (as Butchart Gardens) you're interested in, then go for it, and little of anything else.  I prefer bus or limo tours as a 1st or 2nd timer, seeing as much as I can in the relatively small amount of time available.  There are gardens everywhere, both on public and private property.  Then when the tour is over, there will be time to hang around downtown and the wharf.