Sea sick onboard-Help

22 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Go to Guest Services and ask for some motion sickness meds. 

I normally don't get seasick/motion sick.  But, as I'm getting older and vertigo is becoming more and more an issue, we, my wife and I, went to our family Dr., and got the behind the ear patches.  So, I was just wondering, if I/we do get sick even with the patches, does Customer Service have something, in your opinion, better than the patch?  I hope so!  Like I said, I normally don't get sick but when I do, it's bad!  

I am assuming your patches are scopolamine. If they are some over the counter or homeopathic mixture,  than you can probably take meclizine which is what they give you at guest services. If they are scopolamine patches, I would not recommend taking any other medications. 

31 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I'm sorry you're seasick even with the patches but I would not take any other medications with them.  You really don't want to mix these medications. Sometimes they say green apples may help.

I've heard ginger candy helps, too. I doubt you'd find any on ship, though.

2 hours ago, Firsttimecruiser36 said:

Hi, day one of cruise and half my party is feeling sea sick. We have motion sickness patches on but some are still feeling it regardless. Anyone know what can be done? We are onboard Independence right now.

They need to go out and do things....sitting around focusing on the feeling only makes it worse.  Then when you get to port go buy some Dramamine

Attached are interactions between the patch and the 2 different ingredients used in Dramamine (Bonine). You can ask guest services what ingredient is in what they hand out and check for drug interactions on the web.  Another option would be to see the ship doctor (it will cost $) and she what he/she has to say. I recommend you double check the info below prior to any decision to take additional medications 

DF1AA649-8460-495E-BD48-3CA0CC725A5A.jpeg

ECDFBA26-679B-4D9A-9DDD-D2BE9CF0D037.jpeg

3 hours ago, Firsttimecruiser36 said:

Hi, day one of cruise and half my party is feeling sea sick. We have motion sickness patches on but some are still feeling it regardless. Anyone know what can be done? We are onboard Independence right now.

While many of us on this board are helpful and wouldn’t intentionally provide bad information, you really need to contact the onboard medical staff.  While it’s probably motion related, they will best be able to diagnose the problem and work with you on a solution that works with your medical history.

One DD & DH both get motion sick - we bring ginger candy in case we need to treat quickly, but they both take meclizine - usually 1 tab at dinnertime covers them until the next day.  It can make you sleepy, and also interact with alcohol (adds to the sleepy effect) , so watch out for that - maybe take before bedtime instead. Of course, if you are motion sick, alcohol usually makes it worse anyway.

My question was a sincere question.  I'm thinking/hoping that with all the experience with seasickness that the cruise lines has, maybe they have something that is more of a treatment and effective for active symptoms rather than a prophylactic (which I believe the patch is).  

28 minutes ago, YOLO said:

I know this is not the answer to the question asked, but Cecile and I both find that Bonine works way better than Dramamine.  You only need to take one pill per day and FSA/HSA eligible.

Depending on the type of Dramamine (meclizine) it is the same ingredient as Bonine. Are you comparing the same ingredients? If you are I might switch!

I heard you can go down to medical if you are seasick and they have a "magic" shot they can give you for it. My mother-in-law did this when she got really seasick and she said it made her feel so much better for the rest of her cruise.

I bring ginger gum, Sea bands, ginger ale and non-drowsy Dramamine. So far I've only used the gum when I felt a little weak in the stomach.

19 hours ago, Kathleen said:

We wear sea bands from day one and believe they help. You will find many staff often nibble on green apples and this is why, as others have said before.

Sea bands did not work for us 🤷‍♀️.  OP, I agree as you get further from the Florida coast, you should all start feeling better.  Sip on some warm coke, fountain kind is better than cans.  Coke syrup has been a stomach settler for decades.  

Sea bands may not work for everyone but they worked for me! I bought them a few years ago when traveling with my uncle who gets very seasick and they worked for him on that trip. I don't usually get seasick but I did one one night of our recent cruise (rough, stormy weather) and found them still in my toiletry bag. I do think they need to be snug enough to really leave an indent on the inside of my wrist.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:56 PM, Pattycruise said:

Depending on the type of Dramamine (meclizine) it is the same ingredient as Bonine. Are you comparing the same ingredients? If you are I might switch!

No I don't think so.  I think it was Dramamine Original Formula Motion Sickness which contains Dimenhydrinate and adults take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours.  Bonine you take once per day.  If there are new formulations of Dramamine then I am not familiar with that.  Maybe they have started to copy Bonine.  Who knows...

An immediate suggestion (although likely no longer needed), is focus on a single static object. This is simple to do and much easier when sat still. When walking, shift from one stationary spot to the next. Try not to look out of windows.

There are suggestions above about green apples and ginger, both of which work.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:31 PM, YOLO said:

I know this is not the answer to the question asked, but Cecile and I both find that Bonine works way better than Dramamine.  You only need to take one pill per day and FSA/HSA eligible.

This is what I use at night before bed.  I start taking it on the flight there (day before boarding).  Bonine works better for me too for some reason.  The only ones that need this are myself and my youngest granddaughter. 

First off, try for fresh air and a stable thing to look at (the horizon, for example). Go up on deck somewhere you can look a long ways ahead and take deep breaths. Second, all the bars stock Gosling's Ginger Beer.  Try a can of that (the ginger and the carbonation will both help).  Third, pressure bands - which they may sell onboard - can be used in conjunction with any meds taken. Fourth, know it will pass.  Hang in there!

On 4/24/2022 at 11:40 PM, YOLO said:

No I don't think so.  I think it was Dramamine Original Formula Motion Sickness which contains Dimenhydrinate and adults take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours.  Bonine you take once per day.  If there are new formulations of Dramamine then I am not familiar with that.  Maybe they have started to copy Bonine.  Who knows...

I had finally found this wonder drug Bonine that everyone talks about  on the pharmacy shelf, next to the Dramamine.  I compared labels.  There are 2 different types of Dramamine, one contains the Dimenhydrinate original formula as you indicated-and the other is Meclizine.(it is their "less drowsy" formula)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dramamine-Motion-Sickness-Relief-Less-Drowsey-Formula-Tablets-8-ea-Pack-of-2/576907151?athcpid=576907151&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=siext&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=00-9ec099ffe6928d51601601dc305167ef-b1d28f3bd7580cec-01&athancid=null&athena=true

On 4/24/2022 at 2:49 PM, 1st Mate said:

Has anybody tried one of these:

https://www.reliefband.com/collections/reliefband

I did (the cheapest one- 99 dollars). I had to take the patch off because my vision went totally blurry, and I was shocked how much this band helped me. It feels REALLY weird on your wrist and hand but it definitely fixed my motion sickness. 

On 4/24/2022 at 2:49 PM, 1st Mate said:

Has anybody tried one of these:

https://www.reliefband.com/collections/reliefband

Yes, I've been using the classic one since we started cruising (7? years ago) and now our 8 years old daughter uses it on car trips, and I have bought emeterm bracelet for myself.  Both work great - emeterm supposedly can be used without gel but is more effective with it (works for me without, some people who tried did need gel).