Mini Bar - Does anyone get charge in error for this service?

SeaFarers

Got a call from RCCL executive office within hours of sending my e-mail. She apologized profusely (and seemingly sincerely). Said that the new no bottle plan WILL be in effect fleet wide starting tomorrow July 15. Said they had originally decided to leave those bottles of water in the cabin when they eliminated the contents of the mini bar, but "obviously that did not work out well". Reiterated that there will be an order form left for those who want to order.
Because I wanted an e-mail response, I did not give my telephone number or past/future reservation numbers in my email. That means they had to do some research to find my number. So although I did not end up getting a written response, I am, in fact, impressed with the extra effort they put in to find my number and contact me so quickly.
So, fellow cruisers, please post here after next week to let us know if this issue is truly resolved. TIA

Thanks Skid.  I want to see this practice stopped.  Since I am sailing 1 day after the mandated stop, I will be curious to see if it actually happens.   I hate to be jaded, but somehow I doubt they can institute this mandate that fast, especially after they promised it July 1 and it didn't happen.   I'll let you know what I discover.

I think the room stewards remove the water when cleaning, then the fridge/bar checkers come in and find them missing so they bill.  It's a process that doesn't work, obviously.

14 minutes ago, cruise-y said:

Thanks Skid.  I want to see this practice stopped.  Since I am sailing 1 day after the mandated stop, I will be curious to see if it actually happens.   I hate to be jaded, but somehow I doubt they can institute this mandate that fast, especially after they promised it July 1 and it didn't happen.   I'll let you know what I discover.

I think the room stewards remove the water when cleaning, then the fridge/bar checkers come in and find them missing so they bill.  It's a process that doesn't work, obviously.

Enjoy your cruise! Please do report back.

Just off Indy..last day before disembark noticed a $10 charge on my final invoice that I did not recognise.

Guest services advised me it was for two bottles of Evian left in stateroom.

I had previous experience of this on a previous sailing and even though I had a deluxe drinks package I knew to leave that bottled water alone. It was still there in the room when I made my complaint and I offered to bring it down to them just to prove it had not been touched ! They waived the offer aside and cancelled the $10 charge.

Now the question is, who told them that the water had been used, was it the room attendant?

I doubt it very much therefore is there a conclusion easily drawn from this particularly so as it seems that I am not the only one to experience this "error"?

1 hour ago, cruise-y said:

Just boarded Liberty and I can report there is nothing in the fridge and no bottles of water on the vanity.  So it looks like this practice has been stopped. 

The 12-pack of Evian I pre-ordered and paid for is here. 

Thanks for posting. Now stop it and go enjoy your cruise!!!?

On 7/18/2017 at 7:20 AM, BrianAlt said:

I was just charged $6 for the mini bar, I assume for a bottle of water we never touched.

I emailed them and they said they will reverse the charge.

It seems like this has become a recurring problem. In my 20 years of cruising, primarily on Royal, this only became an issue for us this past January. We never had any false charges previously. 

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

@jticarruthers To me, this amounts to theft and I wonder how many people don't notice the charge. Is it possible that the minimal service fee it's enough of an incentive to warrant the false charges?

I can guarantee that i would never have noticed the charge.   There were so many line charges on my folio that I've never gone through it.  I guess now i will.....    Jane

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

I can guarantee that i would never have noticed the charge.   There were so many line charges on my folio that I've never gone through it.  I guess now i will.....    Jane

For most of us, these charges aren't appearing on the folio. They're being added after disembarkation, raising the final bill $6 higher than what was on the folio. However, since it's in the general ballpark of the folio, I think most people don't even notice. But then again, I teach statistics and I'm anal about numbers, so that's my excuse for noticing.

4 minutes ago, DocLC said:

For most of us, these charges aren't appearing on the folio. They're being added after disembarkation, raising the final bill $6 higher than what was on the folio. However, since it's in the general ballpark of the folio, I think most people don't even notice. But then again, I teach statistics and I'm anal about numbers, so that's my excuse for noticing.

Also, the reason that the charges are being added after is that's when the rooms are being cleaned and inventoried.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 2:46 PM, cruise-y said:

Just boarded Liberty and I can report there is nothing in the fridge and no bottles of water on the vanity.  So it looks like this practice has been stopped. 

The 12-pack of Evian I pre-ordered and paid for is here. 

On Oasis July 16th sailing and no water any place and no extra charges either!