Cruise Cancelled -- Not COVID -- how does RCCL usually handle this?

We just discovered a future sailing has been cancelled, it appears because the ship is going to drydock earlier than planned.  I called RCCL and they said to wait for an email with instructions on what to do and what options we'll have.   Does RCCL usually offer the same level of cabin at the same price on an alternate sail date?  Is there anything else we should expect?

13 minutes ago, FloridaMac said:

We just discovered a future sailing has been cancelled, it appears because the ship is going to drydock earlier than planned.  I called RCCL and they said to wait for an email with instructions on what to do and what options we'll have.   Does RCCL usually offer the same level of cabin at the same price on an alternate sail date?  Is there anything else we should expect?

Royal or your travel agent will provide the details you are looking for, usually via an email.  I would start with contacting them to see what compensation they may be offering as it is different for each cruise.  

30 minutes ago, FloridaMac said:

Which sailing was cancelled?

2 hours ago, FloridaMac said:

The best thing is to do NOTHING right now.  As they said, wait for the cruise line to contact you.  Do not cancel anything on your own.

2 hours ago, FloridaMac said:

When Royal arbitrarily cancelled our Feb cruise, they gave us a choice of extra FCC or cash.  I now wish we had taken the cash, because we can't spend all of the FCC.  The FCC won't apply to taxes and port fees, just base fare.   At any rate, we received an e-mail after the actual "sail date".  Thus, I don't think you will hear much until your intended sail date has been reached.  

Thanks everyone!  Unfortunately it seems like Twangster may be right 🙄  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

There is no single answer, it all depends.  Sit tight and wait for the email.  

We want to take a cruise in that same timeframe so if they don't send us anything soon I'll need to call and bug them.  You'd think they would want us to go on another cruise, right? 🤷‍♂️

[Edit: also we had a great rate on a mini-suite and this is the cruise that puts us over for Diamond 🙂 ]

Dry-Dock-Royal-Caribbean.jpg

14 hours ago, FloridaMac said:

Thanks everyone!  Unfortunately it seems like Twangster may be right 🙄  

We want to take a cruise in that same timeframe so if they don't send us anything soon I'll need to call and bug them.  You'd think they would want us to go on another cruise, right? 🤷‍♂️

[Edit: also we had a great rate on a mini-suite and this is the cruise that puts us over for Diamond 🙂 ]

Dry-Dock-Royal-Caribbean.jpg

The week before and the week after are open so you may be on to something.  

Update - problem solved (mostly)

I called again and got someone in resolutions, she had seen this happen before on a different sailing.  For whatever reasons, some high level department in RCCL has closed this sailing - or more accurately, changed its status to appear in the system as if it was never opened for booking in the first place.  She couldn't open the record, and said that not even the financial department is able to open these.  She said that the cruise may eventually open up and actually sail, or it may be cancelled, or the trip itinerary might change.  However, she did find a resolution for me.  

Our goal in all this is to ensure we can take a cruise on this ship, this itinerary, in a Jr Suite, in April 2023.  Today, we booked an earlier sailing; same ship, same ports, same level of cabin, paid another $500 deposit.  She made notes in our record regarding all of this.  If the cruise is eventually cancelled we'll get either a refund or 125% FCC on the deposit.  If the ship actually sails I'm a little fuzzy on my understanding but I think they refund $300 and keep $200 as a change fee -- If so I'll try to get a better deal.  

Note that the alternate sailing dates 4/1 and 4/15 are filling up, and I think it's because others are doing exactly what we're doing. There were fewer Jr Suites this morning than last night. 

38 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

It’s because of things like this that many of us always recommend using a good travel agent.  I wouldn’t have wanted to pay another deposit while getting it all figured out and I believe a TA would have been able to prevent that.

I hear you, but I've had just as many frustrations with a TA.  The TA is on vacation (a cruise) or busy or ??? and RCCL will barely even talk to you if you're booked through a TA.  I prefer to book direct.  I seriously doubt a TA would have done any better.