Guaranteed Suite on a nearly sold out ship, what can happen?

We have an Alaska cruise in August booked for a suite guarantee. It was our first RCL booking ever but lifted and shifted twice, originally set for 2020. We've gone on 3 RCl cruises and booked another while waiting for this one to happen. All of our covid cruises have been on fairly empty ships ranging from 25% to 50% capacity so we've been spoiled by getting royal ups or booking suites outright for not much of a premium, our smallest room has been a grand suite. We are cool with a JS and understand that is what the guaranty usually gets you but can they downgrade us if all the JS's are booked. The can't give us what isn't available or do they hold some back or do they just hope there are cancellations? I don't see any possibility of a royal up, they only have a handful of balcony rooms available at this point and it's still a ways off. Trying a ghost booking, it seems this summer in Alaska is going to be busy and have full ships due to all the pent up demand, anyone have experience pre-pandemic with a guaranty that didn't actually get a suite? The one JS they have left they want 9k for it.

You are guaranteed no less than a JS. All guarantee staterooms are accounted for in the availability you see when doing a mock booking. We are on Ovation May 20 with a JS Guarantee booking. We had our stateroom assignment in February (very early for learning your stateroom on a guarantee).

As a computer programmer and someone that books a lot of GTY cabins I am sure the computer program holds cabins for the GTY reservations.  The program will show 1 cabin open when there could be 5 cabins being held for GTY reservations.  The only thing I am not sure of is how high of a level will the allow a GTY cabin to jump.  On one of my cruises, I booked a GTY Inside and got a Balcony.  One a different one I booked a GTY Oceanview and got the worst location with a Oceanview of a lifeboat.  The short answer is your cabin should be held unless someone overrides the computer software.

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2022 at 2:09 AM, Temeculaguy said:

We have an Alaska cruise in August booked for a suite guarantee. It was our first RCL booking ever but lifted and shifted twice, originally set for 2020. We've gone on 3 RCl cruises and booked another while waiting for this one to happen. All of our covid cruises have been on fairly empty ships ranging from 25% to 50% capacity so we've been spoiled by getting royal ups or booking suites outright for not much of a premium, our smallest room has been a grand suite. We are cool with a JS and understand that is what the guaranty usually gets you but can they downgrade us if all the JS's are booked. The can't give us what isn't available or do they hold some back or do they just hope there are cancellations? I don't see any possibility of a royal up, they only have a handful of balcony rooms available at this point and it's still a ways off. Trying a ghost booking, it seems this summer in Alaska is going to be busy and have full ships due to all the pent up demand, anyone have experience pre-pandemic with a guaranty that didn't actually get a suite? The one JS they have left they want 9k for it.

So what type of suite you end up getting?  I also booked a Suite GTY.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:30 AM, anxiouscruiser said:

I called royal last week and they told me the boats to alaska are still 50% this year. 
thats what they told me about my vancouver-alaska end of june. 

They lied to you. I was just on an Alaskan cruise and it was NOT 50%. It was at least 100%

3 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

They lied to you. I was just on an Alaskan cruise and it was NOT 50%. It was at least 100%

Keep in mind that comment was from April 2022 in reference to sailings during that summer, not this year.  I sailed Serenade that year (also end of June 2022 so it could have been the same sailing as the poster took) and had a Suite GTY which ended up being a JS in an aft cabin which I was over the moon at getting, especially for an Alaska cruise on a Radiance class ship.   While I don't know about the credibility of 50% occupancy estimate for 2022, obviously that rate isn't being found anywhere even remotely in 2023 which is what I believe you are implying.