Reduced Rate Upgrades

I've never heard of anyone getting an upgrade once onboard whether it's a paid or a free upgrade.  I don't think they do that.

I saw that it's usually reserved for higher tier C&A members, but I just wanted to see if anyone experienced doing that before? Here's what it says on their site.

Crown & Anchor Stateroom Upgrade Policy:

Our ships regularly sail at full capacity. Therefore, opportunities to upgrade are offered on a limited basis. If available, upgrades may be offered at the sole discretion of Royal Caribbean to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club. To determine which members may be extended an upgrade, we will consider the member’s Cruise Points and tier level, stateroom category paid and booking date. 

Guest toodle68

Royal Caribbean called us about 3 weeks before sailing and said there were 4 junior suites available if we wanted to upgrade at $200 a person.  That was a saving on the original cost of junior suites and we took it.

Royal Caribbean called us about 3 weeks before sailing and said there were 4 junior suites available if we wanted to upgrade at $200 a person.  That was a saving on the original cost of junior suites and we took it.

That's awesome! I hope we get the same luck as you do. I'm not gonna lie, I'm trying to get as much C&A points because I want that discount for the beverage package lol.

My wife and I were upgraded from a Balcony Room to a Junior Suite on Oasis last year for $300 total additional cost.  They called me a few weeks before sail date to offer this upgrade.  Keep in mind, that should you accept an upgrade offer, you will still only accrue C&A points at the rate you originally booked.  (ie: being upgraded from a D1 to a JS will not make you earn 2 points per night for that sailing.  You still only earn 1 point per night.)

Guest toodle68

My wife and I were upgraded from a Balcony Room to a Junior Suite on Oasis last year for $300 total additional cost.  They called me a few weeks before sail date to offer this upgrade.  Keep in mind, that should you accept an upgrade offer, you will still only accrue C&A points at the rate you originally booked.  (ie: being upgraded from a D1 to a JS will not make you earn 2 points per night for that sailing.  You still only earn 1 point per night.)

Interesting.. because we specifically asked about this at the time and they said we would get double points because we were actually paying for the upgrade.  However, the points from the last cruise just hit and we did not.. so we plan to call them..  In my mind, if I pay for the upgrade, then I should get the points.

That is an interesting point and thank you for the pointer. IF we get a call about something like this, I would be sure to ask about this information. I appreciate the input!

I saw that it's usually reserved for higher tier C&A members, but I just wanted to see if anyone experienced doing that before? Here's what it says on their site.

Crown & Anchor Stateroom Upgrade Policy:

Our ships regularly sail at full capacity. Therefore, opportunities to upgrade are offered on a limited basis. If available, upgrades may be offered at the sole discretion of Royal Caribbean to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club. To determine which members may be extended an upgrade, we will consider the member’s Cruise Points and tier level, stateroom category paid and booking date. 

This is the answer to a different question than the OP asked.

This kind of upgrade is done well prior to boarding.  If there is going to be a cabin upgrade (we have gotten exactly 1 such upgrade in 30+ cruises), they will usually call you a number of weeks before the cruise although I have heard of people whose upgrade just "appears" without any call.

The original question was can you get a discount once on board.  I believe the answer to that question is - never.

• 1 year later...

I got an offer to upgrade our ocean view balcony room to a JS for $850.  Is it worth it? We’re 3 people in the room, sailing on April 15 for a 7 nights Eastern Caribbean Cruise.  If i get upgraded, I only pay $850 or are there other fees? For JS perk dinner at Coastal Kitchen, are the drinks included? Can I choose the deck level or no? Other perks I get for JS?  

On 1/18/2017 at 11:20 AM, clmsnskr said:

Keep in mind, that should you accept an upgrade offer, you will still only accrue C&A points at the rate you originally booked.  (ie: being upgraded from a D1 to a JS will not make you earn 2 points per night for that sailing.  You still only earn 1 point per night.)

I think this rule is not consistent. We were upgraded at checkin on Grandeur last year from an ocean view to a JR Suite at no cost and we received double points.  I had always heard that if you got a no-cost upgrade they would not award double points but if you paid for an upgrade they would.  But then our experience on Grandeur was a no-cost upgrade (2 full categories) and we still got double points so who knows what the true rule is...

5 minutes ago, catinthehat300 said:

i was reading in a "cruise info site" (dont remember which one, but related to RC), and it said to list upgrades in my preferences. but when I go to my settings and preferences, I dont see that option any where. Am I missing something?

It use to be on the left hand side (after you log in), the title was "upgrades/preferences".  I have not ventured on since the new update to the site so I'm not sure what it might look like now.

9 hours ago, catinthehat300 said:

i was reading in a "cruise info site" (dont remember which one, but related to RC), and it said to list upgrades in my preferences. but when I go to my settings and preferences, I dont see that option any where. Am I missing something?

That would be in your C&A account preferences, not your RCI account.

3 minutes ago, CaptTJ said:

We were upgraded from ocean view to balcony on Liberty of the Seas. We didn’t get notified or charged just had a different room when we got on board. Then again, my preferences state auto upgrade too. I’m not sure it’s common tho. 

That's how it was for us on Grandeur last year.  Nice surprise though !

Family of 4 sailing on Anthem 3/31/18 (Platinum). A few days ago we were offered an upgrade from a balcony room to a JS- the cost would be $1050. But the offer means you get put in a queue and IF they call you they try only one time and if you don't answer the phone they go to the next person in line. This seems so antiquated- why not just let you accept the upgrade online. Anyway- we passed on this. $1050 doesn't seem like that much of a "reduced" rate upgrade.