Disembarking timelines?

SharonS

Going on our 1st cruise (well did one 18 years ago, but i think it is long enough ago that it doesn't count).  We are sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Tampa.  On the final day the schedule says 7 a.m. in Tampa.  We are trying to plan our trip and there is somewhere we would like to be that night at a certain time that requires purchasing tickets.  Its about a 11 hour drive away...so my question is what does disembarking look like, what happens and what is the timing involved?  I'm thinking we will be cutting it too close but want to explore our options.  Thanks.

I too thought about this situation when we arrive back at 7am in Galveston and we have flight arrangements at Houston for 2:30pm, allowing a lot of time to get there.  However if the boat is late for maybe fog or whatever, we bought 1st class tickets because you can change times even up to the time of flight without any penalty.  Plus the perks of 1st class, but mainly to avoid a change fee on American which I think on Economy is $200.

It's my experience that these times are a bit optimistic even without weather or other delays. This past Sunday on Navigator, the first call for self disembark was at 7:40AM(listed as 7 in as are most others we have been on). Then you have to figure getting bags and going through customs, sometimes hard to predict time lines.

Guest toodle68

I always thought disembarking was done in groups but on this last cruise, they allowed people to take their own luggage and just walk off.. which meant the terminal was solid for the first hour and then, since we had a RC connection to the airport, we were in one of the early assigned groups to get off.. but then it took over an hour to get through immigration and customs.  I think the ship docked early, we were allowed off at 8:30 and did not get on the bus until 10am.  Fortunately it was a 2pm flight and we had plenty of time.

I always do the self walk off now...and as long as there are no delays for weather/mechanical problems...no reason you cant be off by 8am if you are trying to plan something and being realistic.

However, please keep in mind that Tampa can often have fog issues..which can delay by hours easily..and sometimes day/days.......

Monctonguy - since you seem to be experienced - I know that walk off sounds self explanatory - but since I'm such a newbie can you walk me through the options.

Leaving from and returning to Tampa - only outside USA port is Cozumel - so we have to go through customs when we return? (we are Canadian)....yes I'm assuming yes, but still...just a brief outline would help me.  I'm a little OCD about travel plans and like to know what to expect.  :)

Monctonguy - since you seem to be experienced - I know that walk off sounds self explanatory - but since I'm such a newbie can you walk me through the options.

Leaving from and returning to Tampa - only outside USA port is Cozumel - so we have to go through customs when we return? (we are Canadian)....yes I'm assuming yes, but still...just a brief outline would help me. I'm a little OCD about travel plans and like to know what to expect. :)

You'll still need to clear Customs, but with the walk off option you carry ALL of your luggage off with you before the others are allowed to disembark. As a result, you should be off the ship before 8 and through Customs by 8:30. Thus is assuming there is no delay for some reason, which can't be predicted.

You'll still need to clear Customs, but with the walk off option you carry ALL of your luggage off with you before the others are allowed to disembark. 

Download the new Mobile Passport app....that speeds things up immensely!    We were driving so first exit wasn't necessary.   We just sat back and let the hurds mass to exit.  Then we walked off the ship.  

Hi Sharon........

Yes, when you get off the ship there is a "customs" that you have to go through, but everyone does and there is really not much to it...just fill out a declaration card...no x-ray machines or scanners or anything.

Then of course you will clear customs once back in Canada at the airport and off the plane.

It's a mad show the morning back in port on the ship...hard to find a table or seat to eat breakfast, long lines everywhere....elevators don't even think about trying to use them. After dealing with the craziness for a cruise or two, I now do the self check out every time....no waiting for or trying to find your luggage that way once off the ship either as you take it with you. Much easier!

Download the new Mobile Passport app....that speeds things up immensely! We were driving so first exit wasn't necessary. We just sat back and let the hurds mass to exit. Then we walked off the ship.

When it works, anyways. It's only worked for me one out of three times. Even so, we only had one person in front of us at Port Everglades a couple of weeks ago when clearing Customs.