Drink package doubled in price???

Styrofoam

I did a 4 night cruise to Cozumel out of Galveston back in November.  It was great.   we spent about 55.00/pp per day for the drinks.  

We had such a great time that we booked another for ourselves and her parents in Feb'23, same exact sailing...   Now, when we've booked, the drink package is at 101/pp PER NIGHT??!?!?!

I understand that the drink packages vary per sailing but the price for alcohol has DOUBLED in 6 months?  It feels outrageous.  Are the drinks onboard 26/drink now instead of 13 like before?  Can anyone explain this?  I'm incredibly frustrated by the doubling of the price.

44 minutes ago, Styrofoam said:

I did a 4 night cruise to Cozumel out of Galveston back in November.  It was great.   we spent about 55.00/pp per day for the drinks.  

We had such a great time that we booked another for ourselves and her parents in Feb'23, same exact sailing...   Now, when we've booked, the drink package is at 101/pp PER NIGHT??!?!?!

I understand that the drink packages vary per sailing but the price for alcohol has DOUBLED in 6 months?  It feels outrageous.  Are the drinks onboard 26/drink now instead of 13 like before?  Can anyone explain this?  I'm incredibly frustrated by the doubling of the price.

Not the first time I have heard this.  The drinks onboard Allure last month were $13 range so I dont think any have doubled. Personally, I would decline the DBP for that price. Even I cant break even on it

I'm almost wondering if Royal's price increase isn't at least partially due to them loving their sales? Because now a 50% off sale would put the prices we've seen around the best sales in the past year (or at least those I'm aware of). Previously those sales might have been 30%-40% off. 50% sounds much better to most people than 35%, even though the end price is approximately the same due to the base price increase.

The attached chart is something I whipped up quickly to satisfy my curiosity. Pricing range for April 2022 is from the lowest I'm seeing in my cruise planner for cruises this year and the high is from this thread. July 2020 pricing is from the Blog (though it appears to be the prices RCL's been running with before the hike).

DBP Discounted Pricing.png

3 hours ago, Natashaaa said:

Does anybody know, if the prices can change down, or will they only increase ?

What are your experiances?

Best advice is to always purchase at a price you are comfortable with.

Prices tend to fluctuate. So, there is no rhyme or reason, can go up or down at any point. Each sailing is different and thus will be priced different. 

On 4/20/2022 at 7:14 AM, Rackham said:

I'm almost wondering if Royal's price increase isn't at least partially due to them loving their sales? Because now a 50% off sale would put the prices we've seen around the best sales in the past year (or at least those I'm aware of). Previously those sales might have been 30%-40% off. 50% sounds much better to most people than 35%, even though the end price is approximately the same due to the base price increase.

The attached chart is something I whipped up quickly to satisfy my curiosity. Pricing range for April 2022 is from the lowest I'm seeing in my cruise planner for cruises this year and the high is from this thread. July 2020 pricing is from the Blog (though it appears to be the prices RCL's been running with before the hike).

Please keep in mind that anytime you see a price it is AFTER all sales and discounts.  If a package is $80 today (even with no apparent sale going on), and tomorrow there is a 50% off sale, do NOT expect to get the package for $40.  It will probably still be $80 with a big 50% off banner (which means they temporarily made the price $160 behind the scenes).  That's just marketing.  Only look at the price that will be charged.