Nassau dropped for Wonder Transatlantic

On 4/19/2022 at 7:38 AM, smokeybandit said:

I think skipping Nassau is worth avoiding 5 days of 20 foot seas

How were the seas/weather on this cruise??  We were supposed to be on this TransAtlantic but had to cancel.  A TransAtlantic is still on our bucket list and we have rescheduled it for October 2023.  Is it better going east to Europe in the spring?  We are now thinking it might be better to go west from Europe and end up back in the USA.  Any ideas on what might be better logistically and weather wise.

What are the pros and cons?

@Dad2Cue

The crossing has been excellent, the crew steered us around the growing storm. Weather was great we had a shower four afternoons or late evening.  Terms were about 17-20⁰c around 73⁰ most days.  For the northern country people on board it was not so bad.  The solarium was full every day 

The time changes loosing an hour every other day sometimes 2 days in a row was hard.  Having lunch then if you were booked for dinner early I would change it.  

Going west you gain an hour so they say going back the other way is better.  I will find out in the fall.

The only downside with the cooler weather more people inside has helped spread COVID.  Captain says 3% of the passengers on board are positive and that's just the ones who went and got tested.  Noticed alot more coughing etc... last few days..

It's has been great trip would recommend it for sure.  A very relaxing and fun cruise.

Edited by KenCP
Added name

On 5/3/2022 at 1:38 PM, KenCP said:

The crossing has been excellent, the crew steered us around the growing storm.

Thank-you for the update.  I was so disappointed that we didn't go on this cruise.  My wife wasn't that disappointed.  My doctor recommended that I didn't go and wanted to schedule surgery.  I still haven't had the surgery and I'm doing okay so we probably could have gone.  I didn't want to chance a medical evacuation from the middle of the Atlantic so we decided it would be better if we didn't go.  With some luck, I will have surgery and be fully recovered by the October 2023 trans Atlantic westbound from Barcelona on Symphony.  We might even tack on the short 3 day cruise from Rome to Barcelona and do a B2B with the trans Atlantic. 

My wife doesn't think 8 sea days in a row is such a great idea.  I think it would be fantastic if the weather was good with relatively calm seas.  I would love to hear about the westbound trans Atlantic you will be on this fall. 

Do you know how easy cruising from Rome would be as compared to Barcelona.   We have been to both cities but haven't embarked on a cruise from either city.

Thanks again

15 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

Thank-you for the update.  I was so disappointed that we didn't go on this cruise.  My wife wasn't that disappointed.  My doctor recommended that I didn't go and wanted to schedule surgery.  I still haven't had the surgery and I'm doing okay so we probably could have gone.  I didn't want to chance a medical evacuation from the middle of the Atlantic so we decided it would be better if we didn't go.  With some luck, I will have surgery and be fully recovered by the October 2023 trans Atlantic westbound from Barcelona on Symphony.  We might even tack on the short 3 day cruise from Rome to Barcelona and do a B2B with the trans Atlantic. 

My wife doesn't think 8 sea days in a row is such a great idea.  I think it would be fantastic if the weather was good with relatively calm seas.  I would love to hear about the westbound trans Atlantic you will be on this fall. 

Do you know how easy cruising from Rome would be as compared to Barcelona.   We have been to both cities but haven't embarked on a cruise from either city.

Thanks again

Boarding in Barcelona is very easy as the cruise port is in the city $20 Euro cab ride from most hotels. Leaving from Rome you have to go the port city of Civitavecchia.  I have not left from Rome yet so I can not comment on that but I am sure it is not difficult.

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 9:00 AM, DunkelBierJay said:

I've never heard of anyone grieving the missing of Nassau as a port stop....it might be worth seeing again when they finish the construction...otherwise...a big meh to that place.

We stopped getting off the ship in Nassau due to prior unpleasant visits. That being said I have been looking at the day passes being offered by the Colonial Hilton and the new Margaritaville Resort in the event of being on a cruise that makes a piss stop in Nassau.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:29 AM, KenCP said:

Boarding in Barcelona is very easy as the cruise port is in the city $20 Euro cab ride from most hotels. Leaving from Rome you have to go the port city of Civitavecchia.  I have not left from Rome yet so I can not comment on that but I am sure it is not difficult.

It's not if you are either willing to spend money or feel confident taking the train. A cab from Rome to Civi is about 120 Euros and expect 60 to 90 minutes transit time, depending on traffic.

The train is awesome and inexpensive (we spent about 35 Euro each for tickets) and takes about 45 minutes but Termini Station where you catch the train can be chaotic.  That said, once on the train it's a nice ride and exiting at the port is simple (you do have to go under the tracks themselves to exit on the correct side so head to the small elevator) - you can either take a taxi for the few minutes' ride or cross the street and wait for the proper bus (3 Euro each, cash only) to come along.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:10 PM, Fuzzywuzzy said:

We stopped getting off the ship in Nassau due to prior unpleasant visits. That being said I have been looking at the day passes being offered by the Colonial Hilton and the new Margaritaville Resort in the event of being on a cruise that makes a piss stop in Nassau.

I did Margaritaville a couple months ago, and I am not sure it is worth the money unless you want a sort of a water park experience. I went up to a mezzanine area inside the hotel where it was quieter and had a great view (I later realized my day pass didn't work on the door) that had a bar and in infinity pool which was nice, but the bar wouldn't order food to be delivered. So, I went downstairs to get lunch to take back up, and it was mediocre and over priced. The funny thing, is that I ordered a $9 Kalik at the bar while I was looking at Junkanoo down to the left...maybe 50 feet away selling the same 3 for $10....Next time, if I get off the ship, I will pack light and just go to Junkanoo. I keep giving Nassau a chance, but it's always just yucky.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Sorry for the confusion - in my head I was saying "according to Hilton's website, where it's not listed, it's closed" because they would have listed it if it was open.