Even when things go wrong RCL makes good

I noticed a few complaints on these board regarding the service they have received from RCL. And while I am the first to say they aren’t perfect I thought I would share a couple of examples of where they have gone the extra mile to make things right when they have gone wrong. In each case we received service which was above and beyond what we expected. In each case we just let them know there was an issue and never expected anything in compensation. 

My advice. If there is an issue let them know. Be nice and polite. Remember every staff member wants to make your cruise  enjoyable and whatever went wrong it either wasn’t the staff members fault or if it was a mistake on their part they do it on purpose.

An issue with air-conditioning (we think)

We were in a room that had a bit of an issue with the air-conditioned. We mentioned it to our stateroom attendant who apologised and got maintenance to look at it. It took them a couple of days to fix it but eventually got it working. We thought nothing of it and forgot about it.

On our last day we got a letter in our state room saying a 30% refund had been credited to our credit card. They didn’t mention what it was for hence we ‘think’ it was due to the air-conditioner.

Cancelled excursion due to weather.

We were on an Alaskan cruise and had saved up to an excursion of a lifetime which included a helicopter ride to a glacier and then a bobsled ride. Unfortunately there was low cloud cover most of the morning so the helicopters couldn’t fly. This certainly wasn’t in RCL control but they offered us a more expensive excursion which also included a helicopter flight later in the day. Unfortunately this also got cancelled as the weather hadn’t lifted. We thought that was the end of it and resigned to not being able to take the trip. About an hour later we got a call on our cellphone only to tell us that they had one spare space on a flight leaving in 30 minutes which they guaranteed would fly. While it meant I couldn’t go as there was only one seat my wife had an amazing trip. What I was impressed with is they took the time t to ring us and see if we wanted the spare seat. They didn’t have to do that.

No sugar free soda in Coke Freestyle

We were on a cruise where they didn’t have any sugar free soda on the ship. We mentioned we couldn’t find diet free soda to one of the staff in the Windjammer out of passing. Before we know it a manager came and gave us bottles of diet coke and let us know we could go to any bar and ask for free diet soda.

We thought that was the end of it… then when we got back to our room that afternoon there was a plate of cookies waiting for us with a little note. Then every day or so another plate of cookies in our stateroom

Issue with on board credit

We made a booking for an upcoming cruise and there was a bit of an issue with the onboard credit. The indicated we would receive $400 when in fact we received $50. A quick email to RCL and not only did they fix the mistake but they added a whole $400 making it $450 onboard credit.

@EmersonNZ, this is a great post!  I think more people need to read it and have your attitude!  There will always be someone who will complain about everything and then there will be those that roll with the punches and just go with it.  Issues happen and you're absolutely right that the goal of every crew member is for the guests to have the best time they can.  Thank you for this reminder!

3 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

I noticed a few complaints on these board regarding the service they have received from RCL. And while I am the first to say they aren’t perfect I thought I would share a couple of examples of where they have gone the extra mile to make things right when they have gone wrong. In each case we received service which was above and beyond what we expected. In each case we just let them know there was an issue and never expected anything in compensation. 

My advice. If there is an issue let them know. Be nice and polite. Remember every staff member wants to make your cruise  enjoyable and whatever went wrong it either wasn’t the staff members fault or if it was a mistake on their part they do it on purpose.

We were in a room that had a bit of an issue with the air-conditioned. We mentioned it to our stateroom attendant who apologised and got maintenance to look at it. It took them a couple of days to fix it but eventually got it working. We thought nothing of it and forgot about it.

On our last day we got a letter in our state room saying a 30% refund had been credited to our credit card. They didn’t mention what it was for hence we ‘think’ it was due to the air-conditioner.

We were on an Alaskan cruise and had saved up to an excursion of a lifetime which included a helicopter ride to a glacier and then a bobsled ride. Unfortunately there was low cloud cover most of the morning so the helicopters couldn’t fly. This certainly wasn’t in RCL control but they offered us a more expensive excursion which also included a helicopter flight later in the day. Unfortunately this also got cancelled as the weather hadn’t lifted. We thought that was the end of it and resigned to not being able to take the trip. About an hour later we got a call on our cellphone only to tell us that they had one spare space on a flight leaving in 30 minutes which they guaranteed would fly. While it meant I couldn’t go as there was only one seat my wife had an amazing trip. What I was impressed with is they took the time t to ring us and see if we wanted the spare seat. They didn’t have to do that.

We were on a cruise where they didn’t have any sugar free soda on the ship. We mentioned we couldn’t find diet free soda to one of the staff in the Windjammer out of passing. Before we know it a manager came and gave us bottles of diet coke and let us know we could go to any bar and ask for free diet soda.

We thought that was the end of it… then when we got back to our room that afternoon there was a plate of cookies waiting for us with a little note. Then every day or so another plate of cookies in our stateroom

We made a booking for an upcoming cruise and there was a bit of an issue with the onboard credit. The indicated we would receive $400 when in fact we received $50. A quick email to RCL and not only did they fix the mistake but they added a whole $400 making it $450 onboard credit.

One time I booked a inside balcony on Oasis. Didn't like the noise levels and lack of privacy. Went to guest services and they gave me a ocean view balcony .   Also, had a flight booked to Barbados with Royal's Air2Sea.  I had to cancel the cruise and the flight due to covid. got full refund for the cruise and the flight with Air Canada.  Royal has been very good to me. 

We were scheduled for a once-in-a-lifetime cruise to Cuba in 2019 (Empress of the Seas.)  Florida to Grand Cayman, then Havana and Cienfuegos, Cuba. 
Unfortunately, two weeks before we were to sail, the US Government pulled the plug on all travel to Cuba. Needless to say, we were really bummed out!  
Royal Caribbean offered us the option of either a full refund, or 50% refund with the opportunity to sail wherever they could go (“dealer’s choice” lol.)  Since we already had the airfare from Chicago to Florida, we took the deal to go wherever they could sail.  We ended up going to Costa Maya Mexico, Cozumel Mexico, and Key West. Long Caribbean crossings on the fleet’s smallest ship, but a really great trip!  Crew, food, entertainment were fantastic. As the captain said on our last day, “The Empress is the smallest ship with the biggest heart.”

Most of the issues the OP posted are not "Land Side" issues.  I have always thought that the "Sea Side" of Royal is much more hospitality friendly and provide 10X better service and competency than the "Land Side" does.  My "criticism" of Royal is 99.99% criticism of "Land Side" operations.  So, I agree totally with the OPs post.  However, "Land Side" deserves its scrutiny.  Complaining for the sake of complaining is never acceptable, however. 

JMHO

7 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

My "criticism" of Royal is 99.99% criticism of "Land Side" operations.  So, I agree totally with the OPs post.  However, "Land Side" deserves it's scrutiny.

Amen. I can completely understand a new cruiser being turned off by the Customer Service they receive when they call in or deal with malfunctioning websites or apps and conflicting information everywhere. It truly does a disservice to the wonderful Customer Service that we receive when we step onto their ships.

7 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Amen. I can completely understand a new cruiser being turned off by the Customer Service they receive when they call in or deal with malfunctioning websites or apps and conflicting information everywhere. It truly does a disservice to the wonderful Customer Service that we receive when we step onto their ships.

I sent Royal Caribbean's website inquiry about 3 weeks ago.  I'm still waiting for an answer!  Imagine that.  

7 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

I think this is awesome but my “critical thinker side” is asking….what crown and anchor level are you?  Another question is who “complained”?  You or your wife?

My negative experience on an older ship was near identical to a new cruiser to Royal who happened to be a male.  He was treated very generously.  I was not. I make a point to be very apologetic when I complain “I’m sorry, I’m having an issue with _____, is it possible someone can fix it?”  I actually called Royal while onboard to complain about the inequity-to get it logged-and followed up post cruise with a detailed letter.  Who knew guest services maintains records of complaints and they were able to confirm my calls and visits. In the end I was treated equitably. (%refunded was identical to my male neighbor-who by the way was very forthcoming and shocked I was treated differently. I also strongly advocated he try Royal again as the issues were not representative of the cruise line)

19 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I think this is awesome but my “critical thinker side” is asking….what crown and anchor level are you?  Another question is who “complained”?  You or your wife?

Good questions.... the instances happened at various C&A levels but we are Emerald so certainly not top tier by any means (Will be Diamond after our next cruise in January). As for whom made the initial contact regarding the issue it was normally Keryn.

The Coke example was our first cruise with Royal so not even Gold (Keryn is the coke drinker and it was her that approached the Windjammer staff).

The excursion was our 3rd cruise so I'd guess Platinum (No complaint was made as it was weather related. Royal themselves contacted us about the available seat... they did have Keryn’s phone number but doubt if they knew if it was male or female).

The air conditioner again was Keryn who mentioned it to the cabin attendant. We were gold for this cruise. I personally didn't notice it but Keryn doesn't cope too well if the room is warm at night so mentioned to the attendant she couldn't get it to work. After he tried he informed her it seemed to be broken and hence contacted maintenance.

Onboard credit was me who contacted them. I first rang and then they gave me an email address to contact. It did take about 10 days to get a reply at which point they let me know they had credited the $400.

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, Joni Briand said:

I would first like to say I love RC! However, yesterday when departing the Ship! The employee’s were very Zealous in moving us out of the Building! 
My 13 year old was traveling with us! We went to the Facial Recognition! I am told KEEP GOING! I heard her Call me! Told I have to go back! They said I am waiting! They’ll be right behind you! Go now!!!  I saw her stayed in Bld by a Wall, my husband found a corner! Not blocking anyone! Traffic slowed I was going back in! They removed us  both! Behind a Bar! Still no Tyler I start yelling her name in case she can hear me! 
Told the Kid you need to let me in there!! We are doing Our Job! I have Dystonia I am still mess over it! No COMMON SENSE!

Finally she comes out with 5 Police Officers! Had been Waiting for Us! All started with your face recognition not working! She had her Passport but the POLICE WERE NOT JUST GOING TO LET HER GO ON HER OWN! 

THAT WAS AWFUL! BEING SEPARATED FROM EACH OTHER! Things you said to her it wasn’t herself being held hostage! I was moving towards them to go in no matter what! When I saw her head! 
I have a Pacemaker & my Heart was going through its paces yesterday morning! 
I don’t care what anyone says I am going back in right away! 

@Joni Briand  I understand that this was a very traumatic experience for you.  None of it was a Royal Caribbean issue, though.  Port officials, Customs, local law are the ones responsible, none of whom are employed or controlled by Royal Caribbean.

7 hours ago, Joni Briand said:

I would first like to say I love RC! However, yesterday when departing the Ship! The employee’s were very Zealous in moving us out of the Building! 
My 13 year old was traveling with us! We went to the Facial Recognition! I am told KEEP GOING! I heard her Call me! Told I have to go back! They said I am waiting! They’ll be right behind you! Go now!!!  I saw her stayed in Bld by a Wall, my husband found a corner! Not blocking anyone! Traffic slowed I was going back in! They removed us  both! Behind a Bar! Still no Tyler I start yelling her name in case she can hear me! 
Told the Kid you need to let me in there!! We are doing Our Job! I have Dystonia I am still mess over it! No COMMON SENSE!

Finally she comes out with 5 Police Officers! Had been Waiting for Us! All started with your face recognition not working! She had her Passport but the POLICE WERE NOT JUST GOING TO LET HER GO ON HER OWN! 

THAT WAS AWFUL! BEING SEPARATED FROM EACH OTHER! Things you said to her it wasn’t herself being held hostage! I was moving towards them to go in no matter what! When I saw her head! 

Once you walk off a ship, or an airplane, the carrier has no control over the US government.  

If CBP separated you from your child, you complaint is valid.  I'd start with your elected representatives.  

This past cruise on Jewel we had an AC pipe leaking which resulted in a wet carpet.  Housekeeping was great in both getting the carpet dried and disinfected as well as getting the actual problem fixed, with essentially zero impact to us other than when they had the carpet pulled up to dry.

I got a 25% FCC for my troubles (though it was really no trouble at all, but I'm not going to turn down 25% FCC from what ended up a pretty expensive cruise.)

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

This past cruise on Jewel we had an AC pipe leaking which resulted in a wet carpet.  Housekeeping was great in both getting the carpet dried and disinfected as well as getting the actual problem fixed, with essentially zero impact to us other than when they had the carpet pulled up to dry.

I got a 25% FCC for my troubles (though it was really no trouble at all, but I'm not going to turn down 25% FCC from what ended up a pretty expensive cruise.)

I’m scheduled on jewel in December. How is she ? It’ll be my first radiance class. 

11 hours ago, Joni Briand said:

I had this happen with my daughter, but she was 19.  She gets nervous easily.  There is nothing we can do.  It is customs doing their job and unfortunately we are not permitted to go where they take them.  I do wonder if they realized she was 13 at the time it began as the system just gives a "take to verification location" type message , and I imagine the escort she received out of the check in station means they realized she was a minor and they wanted to ensure she was returned to you.  
CBP (Customs  Border Patrol) does not permit people to stay in their buildings.