Specialty Dining with Teenagers?

TheMick424

Been reading up on all the different options for specialty dining on the Symphony of the Seas, and would like to try some of the restaurants.  However, I'm on the fence about whether paying for a dining package is worth it for teenagers.  We've never cruised with our 2 teens (16 boy, 14 girl) before, and while they enjoy fancy/nice food I don't know if they'll want to be tied down to a 2 hour dinner every night.  What would the experienced cruisers recommend? 

2 hours ago, TheMick424 said:

Been reading up on all the different options for specialty dining on the Symphony of the Seas, and would like to try some of the restaurants.  However, I'm on the fence about whether paying for a dining package is worth it for teenagers.  We've never cruised with our 2 teens (16 boy, 14 girl) before, and while they enjoy fancy/nice food I don't know if they'll want to be tied down to a 2 hour dinner every night.  What would the experienced cruisers recommend? 

Well for one I would say it's not always 2hr dinners. Then I would say ask your teenagers.

If the adults decide to do unlimited dining, then maybe you can get either the 3night package for them or Chops+1. They are old enough to go to the Windjammer or eat at some of the quicker services restaurants on their own. 

2 hours ago, TheMick424 said:

I don't think it would be a question of whether or not the kids would want to dine in a specialty restaurant so much as it would be a question of whether you would want to NOT dine in a specialty restaurant if you have the UDP and they don't and you decide you want to eat together.  Of course, you could always purchase individual meals or a 3 night plan for the kids if you want to eat at a specialty and you want the kids to be there....

Personally, I would buy the plan for everyone or for no one.

We just took our teenagers (13 & 18) last week and we dined in Speciality restaurants.  They enjoyed it and I felt like took no longer than eating in the main dining room.  If your kids do not mind having a sit down meal each night, then they would not mind this.  I actually think it may be a bit quicker, you are seated right away because you have a reservation. 

19 hours ago, GlassSlipper said:

We just took our teenagers (13 & 18) last week and we dined in Speciality restaurants.  They enjoyed it and I felt like took no longer than eating in the main dining room.  If your kids do not mind having a sit down meal each night, then they would not mind this.  I actually think it may be a bit quicker, you are seated right away because you have a reservation. 

I'm sure they would love some specialty dining, but maybe not every night.  We are staying in a junior suite, so I was hoping to take advantage of Coastal Kitchen for a night or two, but reading these boards it seems like that possibility is slim.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:05 AM, TheMick424 said:

My son would rather be doing things with his friends rather than eat with us, but our rule on a cruise is that he has to eat dinner with us.