New Cruise Terminal Building in Greenock, Scotland

Photo of the new Cruise Terminal Building under construction at Greenock, Scotland.

I wonder if RCCL and Celebrity are considering adding this as a main port for embarking and disembarking. Currently, Scottish cruisers have to travel about 500 or more miles, depending on where you live, to join the cruises at Southampton.

If this was added as a Main Port it would be wonderful for Scottish (and Northern Ireland) cruisers.

Hereโ€™s hoping ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

DF43795C-5A30-4379-AB04-3ECEDEE4844E.jpeg

Seems like it's designed to increase port of call visits to the area.

https://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/news/2021/aug/all-aboard-new-19-2m-greenock-cruise-facilities

Typically a cruise line would endeavour to have an embarkation home port also be near a major airline city both for passengers and crew movement.ย  Glasgow may qualify to fulfil that role but wouldn't Glasglow be in the running as a home port then?ย ย 

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Seems like it's designed to increase port of call visits to the area.

https://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/news/2021/aug/all-aboard-new-19-2m-greenock-cruise-facilities

Typically a cruise line would endeavour to have an embarkation home port also be near a major airline city both for passengers and crew movement.ย  Glasgow may qualify to fulfil that role but wouldn't Glasglow be in the running as a home port then?ย ย 

Thanks for the information twangster.

Greenock is the port for Glasgow. It is Only 17 miles from Glasgow International Airport, about 25 minutes drive and has rail and bus links.

13 minutes ago, Jim S said:

Thanks for the information twangster.

Greenock is the port for Glasgow. It is Only 17 miles from Glasgow International Airport, about 25 minutes drive and has rail and bus links.

Ah.ย  I've only visited Scotland by air using Glasgow as my airport in and out.ย ย 

Beautiful area.ย  I look forward to returning one day, perhaps on a cruise.

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am booked on a Jewel cruise 19 August that visits Greenock but perhaps that is scheduled to an old terminal ?ย  Wish I was confident that I will be on that cruise but I am fairly certain I won't be.

๐Ÿ˜‘

I understand that the new terminal is due for completion this July so there is a very good chance that Jewel will dock there. The old Ocean Terminal is right next to the new terminal. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am booked on a Jewel cruise 19 August that visits Greenock but perhaps that is scheduled to an old terminal ?ย  Wish I was confident that I will be on that cruise but I am fairly certain I won't be.

๐Ÿ˜‘

WAAAYTOOO; ย I took a trip up to Greenock today, as it is only 30 miles from where we live. Unfortunately, the new terminal does not look as if itโ€™s going to open any time soon. Here are some photos of the newly built sculptures at Coronation Park in Port Glasgow, only a couple of miles from where the ship docks. ย Just a suggestion to visit if you donโ€™t want to venture far from the ship. Enjoy your cruise when it comes. We will be on Anthem in the Mediterranean when Jewel is in Greenock, otherwise we would have taken a trip up to see her on 19th August. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿปย 

A3D5971A-237D-474D-BD10-0B86B32A7890.jpeg

50652911-F801-466C-9EA4-0710EEBDC23D.jpeg

23E4799F-FAA1-4563-922C-FBE3F78EF74A.jpeg

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

So very beautiful. ย I wish we were going to be able to see it, but alas, we had to cancel this one since we arenโ€™t vaccinated. ย Hopefully next year we will be able to visit.

Oh I am very sorry to hear that. Maybe by next year the terminal will be ready for passengers. We are hoping that RCCL will allow passengers to embark/disembark at this new terminal to save us the 500 miles trip to Southampton each time we cruise from the UK.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Jim S said:

The photo was taken yesterday which was a beautiful sunny day. Yes, youโ€™re correct, it can be wet, windy or cold - all in the same day in the West Coast of Scotland. We do get the occasional good spell of weather, and it is happening right now.

Oh, I know. Born and bred in the west end of Glasgow. I always joke that you need to have both an umbrella and sunscreen in your bag any time you set foot outside the door. ๐Ÿ˜Š

One of my besties is from just down the road in Port Glasgow, although we both live elsewhere in Europe now.

• 2 weeks later...