Sabor!!!!!

HAK1906

As I am on Liberty of the Seas and on Day 2(btw The wi-fi is pretty good getting speeds up to 4Mbps). My family went to Sabor for lunch. I have heard and read of the greatness that is. The vast majority of things in this world NEVER meet the hype. Well friends I am here to tell you what many have known for a while SABOR IS THE TRUTH. THE REAL DEAL!!

I had the guacamole, two servings for the table, fresh made to order. The drinks are the best. As a Texas Resident I am accustomed to Tex-mex, this rivals some of the best Mexican restaurants. One word that describes Sabor is fresh!! Everything is fresh. The calamari was fantastic as well as the chips and salsa, which are addictive on to the fresh tortillas.

Not saying anything others have not said but I just have to echo the praises that is Sabor.

post-2457-0-81059900-1484618931_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-35049700-1484619031_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-03727400-1484619094_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-64625200-1484619180_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-83756200-1484619288_thumb.jpg

I'm excited and scared about trying Sabor. I'm excited because of all the great things I've heard about it, and I haven't had decent Mexican food in awhile. I'm from Dallas, but I absolutely can't stand Tex-Mex. I'm scared because I'm picky with Mexican food being raised in San Diego where I was minutes away from Mexico. I have a feeling I'm gonna eat so much guacamole during our cruises. Can't wait!

I'm excited and scared about trying Sabor. I'm excited because of all the great things I've heard about it, and I haven't had decent Mexican food in awhile. I'm from Dallas, but I absolutely can't stand Tex-Mex. I'm scared because I'm picky with Mexican food being raised in San Diego where I was minutes away from Mexico. I have a feeling I'm gonna eat so much guacamole during our cruises. Can't wait!

FWIW, Sabor was designed with Texas residents in mind. It debuted on Navigator of the Seas while she was based in Galveston, and aimed at the Texas cruise market because RC knew they couldn't put Taco Bell-esque food up there.

I remember that place, I think it was on the Allure.  Didn't Oasis have a seafood place in the same spot?

Yes.  The seafood place on Oasis was bad but Rita's was awful.

I think one other ship put a Rita's on.  I think maybe it was Radiance or one of the Radiance class ships.  I think it was just as bad on that ship as it was on the Allure.  Glad it's gone (from Allure, at least....).

Yes. The seafood place on Oasis was bad but Rita's was awful.

I think one other ship put a Rita's on. I think maybe it was Radiance or one of the Radiance class ships. I think it was just as bad on that ship as it was on the Allure. Glad it's gone (from Allure, at least....).

Both the Brilliance and the Serenade have Rita's. Tried it and didn't like it. Nothing worse than being to go into the Windjammer to doctor up the food you paid for at Rita's to make it edible.

We've done Sabor on Oasis and Freedom.  Difference is one is al a cart (Oasis) and the other is a restaurant (Freedom).  In short, we weren't disappointed by either but I prefer the restaurant.

We chose Sabor for our first night of our three night dining package.  Let me start with the food was very good.  

I am curious why everyone gets so excited about the guacamole.  It was guacamole after all prepared with about $2 bucks of ingredients.   Any kitchen could/should have the same ingredients available.....no magic here.  

Our soups and appetizers, (calamari and gazpacho) were fresh and flavorful.   Our entreés were very good (empanadas and burritos) included rice and frijoles.  They were good.....but no better than any $6 buck plate in a local Mexican restaurant.  Next table over returned the fish tacos saying they were NOT using fresh fish.  I don't know...I didn't taste them.   The dining room captain, server and the chef immediately appears at the table to sooth the situation and recommend a replacement dish.  

One of the most lacking features was the absence of Spanish/Mexican interior design.   It was void of any design  thought unlike other areas of the ship.  I believe they could remove the "Sabor" signage and open the space as a French or Continental restaurant the following day.  Same for Giovanni's...not a single interior design reference to being an Italian restaurant.  

All in all, Sabor was enjoyable but it comes no where near being an "upcharge" restaurant.  I would have felt very disappointed if I had just chosen Sabor at the full price. Choosing with the three night package receiving their "discount" helps.  

• 4 weeks later...