Parking-Cape liberty cruise port New Jersey

Tret

13 minutes ago, Tret said:

Has anyone parked at Cape Liberty Cruise Port in NJ. I’m trying to figure out the process, if you drop your bags off before car or park the car and bring the bags to the cruise port?

As I remember it, you can do either.  If you aren't traveling alone, I'd drop off your party and luggage, park, and return to the pier.  

As you turn into the terminal area, there are workers directing traffic and they’ll point you to a spot to drop off your luggage with a waiting handler. Then pull forward to the entrance of the parking garage. An attendant will hand you a ticket with the advice to ‘not leave it in the car…you’ll need it to pay before you go back into the garage’. Then you park and as soon as you walk out of the garage, the terminal entrance is steps away.

The one thing to realize there are actually 2 lots, one covered garage and 1 out in the open.  They do not let you choose which one you park in, or at least they didn't pre covid.  Both are a short walk and gated  The point is if you are sailing in the summer, you should take a window shade for your car just in case.  When we sailed Anthem we had the covered garage.  When we sailed Adventure we were in the open lot.   

We were told that this is how it typically goes, which makes sense.  Anthem sails on a different day than Adventure, it is a bigger ship.  That means they fill up the garage leaving Adventure in the open garage.  

I do disagree about it not being super busy.  There will be a bottle neck when you get close to the terminal.  It can be a long line of bumper to bumper bc they funnel you down. Nothing insane, but frustrating.  We always joke that it takes longer from the time we hit the FUNNEL for dropping off the luggage than it takes once we park the car and are on the ship ordering our 1st drink.

One piece of advice keep your carry on with you in the car and not in the trunk.  Learned that the hard way.  We were traveling with another couple and drove our car.  We placed our carry on in the trunk (SUV) and they threw their luggage on top of it.  The porters just grab and pull.  The next thing we knew after we parked the carryon was unloaded with the porter.

10 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

The one thing to realize there are actually 2 lots, one covered garage and 1 out in the open.  They do not let you choose which one you park in, or at least they didn't pre covid.  Both are a short walk and gated  The point is if you are sailing in the summer, you should take a window shade for your car just in case.  When we sailed Anthem we had the covered garage.  When we sailed Adventure we were in the open lot.   

We were told that this is how it typically goes, which makes sense.  Anthem sails on a different day than Adventure, it is a bigger ship.  That means they fill up the garage leaving Adventure in the open garage.  

I do disagree about it not being super busy.  There will be a bottle neck when you get close to the terminal.  It can be a long line of bumper to bumper bc they funnel you down. Nothing insane, but frustrating.  We always joke that it takes longer from the time we hit the FUNNEL for dropping off the luggage than it takes once we park the car and are on the ship ordering our 1st drink.

One piece of advice keep your carry on with you in the car and not in the trunk.  Learned that the hard way.  We were traveling with another couple and drove our car.  We placed our carry on in the trunk (SUV) and they threw their luggage on top of it.  The porters just grab and pull.  The next thing we knew after we parked the carryon was unloaded with the porter.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear... Compared to NYC it's not super busy.  Anyone who has driven in NYC and not moved an inch in an hour in traffic knows what I mean lol.

5 hours ago, Blur said:

Sorry, I should have made it more clear... Compared to NYC it's not super busy.  Anyone who has driven in NYC and not moved an inch in an hour in traffic knows what I mean lol.

Being a Jersey girl born and raised I know NYC traffic...exit 8A.  I was only talking about once you get near the terminal...ship in sight Trumps golf course on the right.  

23 hours ago, BrianB said:

As you turn into the terminal area, there are workers directing traffic and they’ll point you to a spot to drop off your luggage with a waiting handler. Then pull forward to the entrance of the parking garage. An attendant will hand you a ticket with the advice to ‘not leave it in the car…you’ll need it to pay before you go back into the garage’. Then you park and as soon as you walk out of the garage, the terminal entrance is steps away.

Super easy as Brian B says above! Just got off Anthem this morning. It is exactly as stated.  It does get a little busy around 12 on embarkation day. Cost for a seven day cruise is $175.

I'm sure i'm an outlier but the last time I was at Cape Liberty on the way home the machines were down for over an hour - if you had cash you could leave, if not, you had to wait until they were back up. 

I'd also suggest having a jacket or something warm just in case if it's not summer. The day I got stuck I didn't have anything and it was October. I was cold. I wound up just having enough cash.

You pass the terminal drop off to get to the parking garage.  Thus, we just stopped and dropped our bags off with the porter. Then continued and parked our car.  Very easy.  I'll say that on return from the cruise, there was only 1 elevator running so there was a huge line up for people to get into the elevator with luggage to get to their car.  Luckily we parked on the 2nd level so DH carried the luggage up the stairs.  So, try and park as low level as you can.

27 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

You pass the terminal drop off to get to the parking garage.  Thus, we just stopped and dropped our bags off with the porter. Then continued and parked our car.  Very easy.  I'll say that on return from the cruise, there was only 1 elevator running so there was a huge line up for people to get into the elevator with luggage to get to their ar.  Luckily we parked on the 2nd level so DH carried the luggage up the stairs.  So, try and park as low level as you can.

I agree with the elevator issue. I sail out of Port Liberty regularly over the winter. Several times there has only been one working elevator. One time both elevators were out of service. I was on the second level and was able to carry my bags up one flight…but I’m sure a lot of people had to go back in front of the terminal with their luggage and wait for one of their party to bring the car around. That must have been a mess.

2 hours ago, ellcee said:

I'm sure i'm an outlier but the last time I was at Cape Liberty on the way home the machines were down for over an hour - if you had cash you could leave, if not, you had to wait until they were back up. 

I'd also suggest having a jacket or something warm just in case if it's not summer. The day I got stuck I didn't have anything and it was October. I was cold. I wound up just having enough cash.

I’ve never had that happen to me. There was always one or two of the machines that were ‘down’ but not all of the credit card machines. Seeing as I take most of my cruises out of Port Liberty, I’m now going to make sure I have sufficient cash when I get off the ship just in case. Thanks for the tip!

So I’m sailing out of there in May with my wife and one year old. We were concerned with the amount of luggage since my wife will be handling the stroller and all the luggage would be meant for me. Safe to say I shouldn’t be concerned, since we can just drop all our luggage off?

1 hour ago, Ecan said:

So I’m sailing out of there in May with my wife and one year old. We were concerned with the amount of luggage since my wife will be handling the stroller and all the luggage would be meant for me. Safe to say I shouldn’t be concerned, since we can just drop all our luggage off?

Correct!  The only thing you'll have to carry is what you plan to carry on.  The porters will even take the bags straight from your trunk/hatch, and they won't even grumble about it for a small gratuity! 😉

In your situation, I'd be more concerned about disembarkation than drop off.  Even there, if you just look for the porters you'll be in good hands.  Well worth the money you'll tip them.

1 hour ago, Ecan said:

Which ship?

If its Anthem 10 will get me 20 you will be in the parking garage.  Other ships may be kin the open lot.  If you are in the open lot, pay for a porter when you debark.  When we do the covered we don't pay for porters ....hubby and I get the luggage and than I wait by the garage as he runs to get the car and brings it down to loading level.  Open air out door you will want to pay for a porter bc you can't drive the car closer and it's more of a haul....2 min walk in the sun, but when you are talking multiple luggage bags, carry ons and a stroller its a pain.  The covered garage less than  a min. and they can stand in the shade.

We just sailed from Bayonne/Port Liberty and the experience was awesome.  Dropping the bags off with a porter, parking in the garage, boarding that whole process was fluid.  We never waited, never stood on line. After parking, we were on the ship in less than 15 minutes. 

Debarkation was almost as good. Slight delay getting the car over to the baggage pick up, may be 10 mins tops. It exceeded all expectations.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:26 PM, FoxboroCruiser said:

We just sailed from Bayonne/Port Liberty and the experience was awesome.  Dropping the bags off with a porter, parking in the garage, boarding that whole process was fluid.  We never waited, never stood on line. After parking, we were on the ship in less than 15 minutes. 

Are they checking boarding times?

On 4/25/2022 at 4:26 PM, FoxboroCruiser said:

Debarkation was almost as good. Slight delay getting the car over to the baggage pick up, may be 10 mins tops. It exceeded all expectations.

I'll be there this coming Sunday! Glad to hear this!

Today was the first time I had to park in the open lot as the garage was full. Still very easy…dropped off my bag and then drove around the big buildings and into the lot. I was handed a ticket with the usual admonition “take it with you, you’ll need to pay at the kiosk before returning to your car”.

Later, I saw the lot was filled to capacity…even with some strategic squeezing…so they started directing cars to park outside the lot on the road leading to it’s entrance. But, it’s all part of the port, so I’m guessing they still handed out the tickets and those people will pay the fee.

From the lot, they had shuttle buses standing by if anyone needed them…but for me, it was just an easy stroll with my rolly carry on. The only delay was boarding the Oasis because she had to leave the pier and sit outside the channel for awhile due to a late-arriving container ship which needed to pass. We received an email about this a few days ago and we’re advised to come an hour later than our scheduled arrival time…so my 10:30 became 11:30. Still, I was checked in and sitting in the terminal with lots of other passengers…just like pre-pandemic…no masks or distancing. I was onboard at 1235pm, checked in to my Muster Station and at Johnny Rockets by 1245!

On 4/16/2022 at 6:54 PM, Tret said:

Has anyone parked at Cape Liberty Cruise Port in NJ. I’m trying to figure out the process, if you drop your bags off before car or park the car and bring the bags to the cruise port?

When I went on the Anthem of the Seas sailing last year I dropped off my bags first with the porters then drove into the the covered parking structure to park. It was really convenient. 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, 10-42 said:

Based on what I see here, you have to drive in front of the Terminal anyway:

image.thumb.png.e39559873c24423bd8d1251791150869.png

Can any Star Class cruisers that have arrived by car point to (or describe) the location of the Star Class entrance and porters on the picture above?

1 hour ago, Chuck586 said:

Can any Star Class cruisers that have arrived by car point to (or describe) the location of the Star Class entrance and porters on the picture above?

It’s located in the “V” where the 2 white buildings come together right in front of the terminal doors.  It’s either the last or one of the last stops.  You can’t miss it 

On 5/2/2022 at 7:38 AM, BrianB said:

Today was the first time I had to park in the open lot as the garage was full. Still very easy…dropped off my bag and then drove around the big buildings and into the lot. I was handed a ticket with the usual admonition “take it with you, you’ll need to pay at the kiosk before returning to your car”.

Later, I saw the lot was filled to capacity…even with some strategic squeezing…so they started directing cars to park outside the lot on the road leading to it’s entrance. But, it’s all part of the port, so I’m guessing they still handed out the tickets and those people will pay the fee.

From the lot, they had shuttle buses standing by if anyone needed them…but for me, it was just an easy stroll with my rolly carry on. The only delay was boarding the Oasis because she had to leave the pier and sit outside the channel for awhile due to a late-arriving container ship which needed to pass. We received an email about this a few days ago and we’re advised to come an hour later than our scheduled arrival time…so my 10:30 became 11:30. Still, I was checked in and sitting in the terminal with lots of other passengers…just like pre-pandemic…no masks or distancing. I was onboard at 1235pm, checked in to my Muster Station and at Johnny Rockets by 1245!

When I managed the parking at the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport and Port Everglades, if we had to use an overflow location that weren't contained within a well established, fenced, paved or marked, and electronically issued parking tickets, parking was free, even though we provided shuttle service to and from the terminal(s).  We did have a couple of locations that were paved, marked, fenced but didn't have electronically issued ticket.  We just charged a $10.00 flat rate, I think it was, for no matter how long you were gone. We did issue ticket looking stubs only for the purpose of the shuttle drivers to know where to take you when you return.  This usually only happened when there was construction effecting/closing one lot or another and holiday parking exceeded our capacity.  We made judicious use of several empty grassy fields on the airport parking proper.  We never turned away a customer/traveler.  Not everybody was happy with the locations, but it was FREE.  Some people would complain if you hung 'em with a new rope.

I believe if you couldn't park in an established parking "facility" as stated above, it should be free and I bet because of the size of the passenger portion of the pier, there wasn't any shuttle or transportation of some kind to the terminal.  But, I could be wrong about that, I guess.  

We are going on a repositioning cruise in late October on Celeb Beyond.  We embark at Cape Liberty, but our cruise ends in Ft Lauderdale, FL.  Obviously, if we park at the port (as we've often done in the past for RT cruises from there), we have to fly from Ft Lauderdale, FL to Newark, NJ to get back to get our car at Cape Liberty.  I have two questions:

1) Will there be enough parking (whether indoors or outdoors)?  Adventure embarks passengers on Sat, Oasis on Sun, and our cruise on Weds.  That seems like an awful lot of cars to be parked there!  Will we be able to find parking there with 2 cruise ships worth of parking already filled?  Anyone else ever encounter this sort of situation at Cape Liberty?

2) Since we will be flying into Newark International Airport after the cruise, we will need to get a taxi over to the port. Can you get into the parking building or the outside lot on a day when no ship will be in port?  What if it's late at night?  Will security allow you to get your car anytime, 24/7?  I know their model is based on RT cruises, but they've done repositioning cruises in the past.  Anyone else do this?

Thanks, Paul

8 hours ago, PaulMcC said:

We are going on a repositioning cruise in late October on Celeb Beyond.  We embark at Cape Liberty, but our cruise ends in Ft Lauderdale, FL.  Obviously, if we park at the port (as we've often done in the past for RT cruises from there), we have to fly from Ft Lauderdale, FL to Newark, NJ to get back to get our car at Cape Liberty.  I have two questions:

1) Will there be enough parking (whether indoors or outdoors)?  Adventure embarks passengers on Sat, Oasis on Sun, and our cruise on Weds.  That seems like an awful lot of cars to be parked there!  Will we be able to find parking there with 2 cruise ships worth of parking already filled?  Anyone else ever encounter this sort of situation at Cape Liberty?

2) Since we will be flying into Newark International Airport after the cruise, we will need to get a taxi over to the port. Can you get into the parking building or the outside lot on a day when no ship will be in port?  What if it's late at night?  Will security allow you to get your car anytime, 24/7?  I know their model is based on RT cruises, but they've done repositioning cruises in the past.  Anyone else do this?

Thanks, Paul

Whenever I've done a "one way cruise" i've never parked at the cruise terminal; i've always used an uber or car service.  But I live in North Jersey so it's not super far for me to get to any of the NY Area cruise ports.

Maybe parking at EWR makes more sense?  Then uber over to the cruise port?  Then it should be easier to get to your car once you fly back to Newark.

2 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Whenever I've done a "one way cruise" i've never parked at the cruise terminal; i've always used an uber or car service.  But I live in North Jersey so it's not super far for me to get to any of the NY Area cruise ports.

Maybe parking at EWR makes more sense?  Then uber over to the cruise port?  Then it should be easier to get to your car once you fly back to Newark.

But is it possible to get your car if parked at Cape Liberty on a day when a ship isn't in port?  Does anyone know?

Looking for an similar issue: Coming from a roadtrip to Cape Liberty (going on the cruise) with a rental car (which is supposed to be returned at EWR), would you suggest dropping the rental car at the airport and then uber the whole family to the port - or: drop the family at the port, return the car and uber alone to the port again?

1 hour ago, Carotthat said:

Looking for an similar issue: Coming from a roadtrip to Cape Liberty (going on the cruise) with a rental car (which is supposed to be returned at EWR), would you suggest dropping the rental car at the airport and then uber the whole family to the port - or: drop the family at the port, return the car and uber alone to the port again?

Not every Uber can accommodate a family and all their luggage.  You might have to pay more for a larger Uber or gif 2 Ubers depending on family size and luggage.

if you are comfortable dropping off the family first that might be your best option. 

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

Not every Uber can accommodate a family and all their luggage.  You might have to pay more for a larger Uber or gif 2 Ubers depending on family size and luggage.

if you are comfortable dropping off the family first that might be your best option. 

Agree. Are there any fixed shuttles from EWR to Cape Liberty?

We do have the same problem almost on returning from the cruise, going to the airport for the flight back home.