Ineffectual Soap/faucets

BrianB

I hate to be a negative poster, but I have to point out when I see something that needs to be addressed.

We all know that properly washing your hands is one of the most effective ways to stop the spread of germs and diseases such as Norovirus, flu, the common cold…and now most especially, Covid. Royal goes to great lengths encouraging passengers to ‘Wash Your Hands’ including having the ‘washy washy’ people posted at the entrance to the Windjammer.
But, it has been my experience onboard the Anthem, the Oasis and now the Wonder…where many touch-less soap dispensers either don’t work properly, or dispense a pin-size drop of soap…and, more frustrating, the touch-less faucets in the public restrooms and Windjammer washing stations don’t work as they’re expected to. I find myself holding my hands under the faucet, waiting for water, and when it eventually does arrive…it's just a quick splash. Then it stops. I see so many passengers getting frustrated and just walking out without washing their hands after using the restroom or entering the buffet. And this is after they tapped and held the faucets (the same faucets many others have touched) trying to get water to come out…to no avail. 
This needs to be corrected! Before US Public Health comes aboard for their inspection and finally finds this flaw. Conserving soap and water shouldn’t come at the expense of public health! 
Is it just me on these particular ships, or are there others who notice this?

I could make a blooper reel with those kinds of things.

Hand under the soap?  Nothing happens. Pull hand away? Soap all over the table.

Hand under the water? Nothing happens. Pull hand away? Water flows. Rush to sneak hands in before water stops?  Nope, doesn't work like that.

Let's not even get started on the paper towel machines...

Totally agree!  I'd even go further. If you have a faucet, make sure it works, if you have paper towel dispenser, make sure it works, if you have a soap dispenser, make sure it works.  I fully understand that there are going to be break-downs and items may run out of supplies.  But, when you have 10 of something and only 4 or 5 work and it was the same way a day or two earlier, that ain't right.  

Where I'm going further - if you have a rule, policy - enforce it.  

BTW, I don't think bringing this type of stuff up is being negative or being a complainer.  It's trying to make things better by bring them to light and expecting results.

I understand these things happen everywhere…but I would expect cruise ships to be more responsible that the soap and water flows freely when so much emphasis is placed on washing my hands. I’ve yet to visit a restaurant on land where there are ‘washy washy’ people pointing me to sinks before I enter their business (not an altogether bad idea!). Plus, I agree with that. I want to wash my hands with soap and water. 

16 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Embassy Suites, 17th Street, Ft. Lauderdale.  Common area men's restroom, 3 sinks, no working soap dispenser.

Well then, go into the lady's restroom and if anybody questions why you are there, tell them your are Queen for a Day.  

<just kidding of course.  but it is a sign of the times>

I agree.  Not just on a ship, but everywhere touchless faucets are available, as well as soap or hand sanitizer dispensers, I wish they would take it seriously, and keep them full and working.

With the collapse of government required protocols, establishments are dropping the ball.

24 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

With the collapse of government required protocols, establishments are dropping the ball.

Ya, there going back to pre-pandemic norms.  No excuse for items not working though or not needed.  If not needed anymore, get rid of them or cover them up.  The newer ships, like Symphony had the "Washie Washie" stations before you entered the Windjammer, and the hand sanitizer dispensers all over the place, before the pandemic.  And I'm sure they will stay for ever!

I would actually think given how the water is on ships, it would be worse. But that messed up systems seem to happen everywhere. 

I can't recall one place in the past 5 years where the soap/water system has been wonderfully consistent. Not to mention the hand dryer/touchless paper towel dispenser. 

Also, those toilets that flush so much because any and all movement are a pain. 

I agree 100%. We just came off of harmony of the seas. At the Windjammer, they had four wash stations for the entire ship at the Windjammer. Everyone had to go through the wash station. So the line outside was upwards of anywhere from 50 to 100 people. I complained to one of the managers there,  without mentioning the bottleneck, but about their washing procedures. I told him that this was a dangerous precedent to clean your hands and it gave the patrons a false sense of sanitizing. All the other cruise lines uses their hand sanitizing stations which kills most all bacteria and germs. So much better than soap And water. And yes half the times the automatic faucets don’t work. When I complained to management they took my room number said they would get back to me. Of course that never happened. What I find amazing, is that one afternoon they decided to walk through and bypass the washing station and use the hand sanitizer station. No one complained or said anything.