Alaska Cruise from Vancouver - Ship Selection

My partner and I have only cruised 1x. We went on Oasis right before the pandemic started. We're interested in an Alaska cruise and are having trouble selecting a ship. We liked Oasis a lot and all the activities on it. Which makes us gravitate to Ovation. But we're looking to go in May and we have read about folks saying that Ovation sometimes can't go into the Endicott Arm because of ice. 

How likely is it that this will happen and

What are the other ships that go to Alaska like. 

We're having trouble choosing between what should be a good ship experience vs. making sure we get to see a glacier. Though the other thing I've considered is that there is a park where you can take a hike to also view glaciers (I think) so there are other options. 

Thoughts and reflections welcome! 

IIRC, there are four ships currently sailing to Alaska, Quantum, Ovation, Serenade, and another one. I believe Ovation and Quantum are both Quantum class and are, therefore, on the larger side. The risk of not getting close to shore will be higher with them than the smaller ships on this route. But they offer more onboard, so it’s a trade off. If getting in close the the glacier is your priority, I say choose one of the smaller ships. Though, from what I’ve heard from tipsfortravelers, Norwegian may be your best bet. I believe he said they had longstanding contracts that are limited in number, which allow for the best glacier access. 

If you are loyal to Royal your options are Quantum and Ovation out of Seattle or Radiance and Serenade from Vancouver. If your only cruise experience is Oasis then going from that to Radiance or Serenade will be a shock. These 2 ships are excellent sight seeing (and relaxation) ships but offer little else in the way of activities and entertainment. Quantum and Ovation offer many activities and entertainment options. However, because of their larger size they cannot get as close to the glaciers. You could sail quantum or Ovation for the big ship experience and then book an excursion that takes you right to a glacier for a ‘best of both worlds’ experience....

Excessive ice impacts any ship trying to use Endicott Arm (or Tracy Arm beside it). Small ships have no advantage in the narrow channel.

I was on Ovation's very first trip into Endicott Arm and we had no issues in May.  The week after they couldn't go.  That occurs any time there has been a lot of glacier calving and that happens all season long.   All cruise ships regardless of size will avoid the Arm when ice flows are excessive.  No Captain will desire to have large chunks of ice bumping into the hull in a narrow channel where maneuverability is limited even for small ships.  Ovation used her bow thrusters to help push some ice away from the hull when we sailed in Endicott Arm. 

The Captain will make the call along with the local pilot who knows exactly what is occurring and how the glacier has been behaving in the days prior.  Yes it happens but it's like trying to guess the exact week hurricanes will impact the Caribbean three to six months in advance. 

Serenade and Radiance are other ships that visit the best tide water glacier in the region - Hubbard Glacier.  It's on select Serenade sailings in 2022 and on all Radiance sailings.  Radiance does one way North or South routes while Serenade is round trip from Vancouver, Canada.  These are smaller and older ships that don't have the features on board that Quantum class do.  In 2023 Serenade is replaced by Enchantment.  

Serenade also visits Tracy Arm which is narrower and known for more missed calls.  

The Hubbard Glacier is very wide and it sits in a large bay so ships have better maneuverability options when visiting Hubbard. 

Quantum does similar cruises compared to Ovation.  They are sister ships that embark on different days of the week both from Seattle.

Even Glacier Bay referenced above where NCL and Princess sometimes visit can be shutdown some days.  I was on a Princess cruise to Glacier Bay last year and we didn't know until we arrived if we would allowed in by the National Park service.   We made it, barely, but I still feel Hubbard Glacier is more impressive.  

The last things I'll add are:

• There is no bad or wrong Alaska cruise.
  • There is no wrong time to cruise to Alaska.

I'm getting ready for my seventh and eighth cruises to Alaska in a few weeks.  I've sailed three different cruise lines in every month of the Alaska cruise season from a number of embarkation ports for Alaska.  Every trip has been different.   Every trip memorable for different reasons.

The only mistake you can make with respect to an Alaska cruise is not booking one.  

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

The only mistake you can make with respect to an Alaska cruise is not booking one.  

So true!!  Whichever ship you choose, you can always come back and try the others.  I've done the trip twice on small-ish ships and look forward to a future trip on one of the larger ships. But to be honest, once you reach the inside passage, you will just want to watch the beauty around you and you might not be so concerned about the activities a larger ship offers. 

Thanks all! This is super helpful - particularly the notes about the smaller ships not being able to navigate the arm when ice calving is taking place. 

The route we're thinking of has Ovation of the seas leaving Vancouver and then ending in Seattle. 

Good point though about the smaller ships and the inside passage. On sea days it may not matter so much. Will need to read more reviews of the smaller ships to see what folks' experiences with them has been. 

I really appreciate everyone's comments! THANK YOU!

I've always favored one way cruises between Seward and Vancouver as you see and experience much more.

You can even add a cruisetour in Alaska and see Denali. 

However,  it is a trade off. Radiance is the only royal ship that is doing this route. It is a beautiful ship. What it has is great. However,  it is smaller and doesn't have amenities like bumper cars, North star, rip cord by ifly and the variety of dining.

Btw: I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Going on Radiance in June and September this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, twangster said:

Serenade also visits Tracy Arm which is narrower and known for more missed calls.  

We will be attempting to visit Tracy Arm on Serenade in mid-may (3 weeks! ) if we can't make it, will we just be going to Juneau earlier in the day? This would not be too bad, as there is a lot to do there. Currently scheduled for Tracy Arm in the morning and Juneau from 1-9. Thanks!

On 4/16/2022 at 11:28 AM, twangster said:

The last things I'll add are:

• There is no bad or wrong Alaska cruise.
  • There is no wrong time to cruise to Alaska.

I'm getting ready for my seventh and eighth cruises to Alaska in a few weeks.  I've sailed three different cruise lines in every month of the Alaska cruise season from a number of embarkation ports for Alaska.  Every trip has been different.   Every trip memorable for different reasons.

When are you going on Serenade, out of curiosity? We will be on the May 15-22 sailing ; )

9 minutes ago, CruiseMom82 said:

We will be attempting to visit Tracy Arm on Serenade in mid-may (3 weeks! ) if we can't make it, will we just be going to Juneau earlier in the day? This would not be too bad, as there is a lot to do there. Currently scheduled for Tracy Arm in the morning and Juneau from 1-9. Thanks!

That is the likely outcome since they are relatively close.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Sunday.  Better start packing 🤣  

Terrific! I hope you are going to live-blog! ; ) This is Serenade's second sailing after dry-dock, I believe. Can you let us know what's changed, if you notice anything? Would love to hear how the ports are operating too, since I've heard they've had trouble getting workers back.

46 minutes ago, CruiseMom82 said:

Terrific! I hope you are going to live-blog! ; ) This is Serenade's second sailing after dry-dock, I believe. Can you let us know what's changed, if you notice anything? Would love to hear how the ports are operating too, since I've heard they've had trouble getting workers back.

I don't always do Alaska live as the internet can be dreadful at times.  That makes uploading photos challenging.  

On 4/18/2022 at 9:22 AM, ncnickel said:

Well - we decided to book on Ovation: 8 nights from Vancouver to Seattle. Excited for it and now just need to wait 13 months. 🙂

We sailed Ovation May 2019 and loved it and I was looking at the same cruise you just booked. We are currently booked on Celebrity for the first time for 2023 Alaska but are still looking!! 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, twangster said:

I was on Ovation's very first trip into Endicott Arm and we had no issues in May.  

Was this May 2019? We sailed Ovation then also and I believed it was her first sailing in Alaska from Seattle. I remember it being Royal's first embarkation from Seattle and it was a mad house!!! 

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was on the repo from Vancouver to Seattle.

We got about 1/2 way into the channel. I was not disappointed with what we witnessed. In 2021 we returned to Alaska on a land trip and were treated to Glaciers Galore in Kenai Fjords boat tours. I totally agree that there are many excursions that allow you to see glaciers, although smaller, more up close and personal. I am like you, just sitting and enjoying the Alaska scenery was enough for me and has me wanting for many more returns.

I know that Matt says to give smaller ships a chance....BUT...

If you like Oasis class ships, but you are worried about getting far into the channels, choose Ovation and bring binoculars.  Honestly, ship amenities and comforts will always outweigh destination for cruising.  If the destination is priority, choose a different manner of travel.  If destination AND the journey are important, choose the best ship--Ovation.

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

For some, not for all. Especially on a cold weather cruise

I agree that this opinion may not apply to all, but why "especially on a cold weather cruise"?

On a cold weather cruise, the indoor pool on the Ovation, and the many, many indoor activities and dining venues would seem to be favorable amongst cold weather cruisers. 

16 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

I agree that this opinion may not apply to all, but why "especially on a cold weather cruise"?

On a cold weather cruise, the indoor pool on the Ovation, and the many, many indoor activities and dining venues would seem to be favorable amongst cold weather cruisers. 

There's a lot of people who don't need the amusement park feel of some of the larger ships and don't care about specialty dining.