Jogging / Walking tracks

In addition to being tiny, you'll be constantly dodging folks who are wandering around, often aimlessly, not to mention loungers as people move them around to catch the sunshine. Plus, the short distance around and the tight bends can be a recipe for injury, especially to knees and hips.

If you only want to a little walking or jogging they're fine but if you want to do any sort of serious training, use the treadmills in the gym instead.

There is no standard and they are a shared space where you will also find strollers and scooters and drunkards depending on the time of day.  Each class of ship is different.  With the exception of Oasis class the jogging tracks are on the upper decks one level above the pool deck.  Generally speaking the crew remove loungers and stack them out of the way overnight but they begin to deploy the loungers around the jogging track during the day.  

In places it can be tight.  Your best running experience will be early in the morning.  By mid day they will be crowded and it will difficult and frustrating to try to get a run in.  

11 minutes ago, not easy being green said:

Allure of the Seas has one of the best tracks, on any ship I have been on - it is below the aqua deck and runs basically around the complete ship.  Deck 4 (I think or deck five) 

Yep, and very little outside interference.  It bothers me when people who aren't doing any serious exercising just get on the track to sightsee.  People, you can sightsee from many other decks.  In fact, you'll get a better view from higher decks.  

You don't want to get started on those that move the deck chairs around and put them in the middle of the walkway without any sense of common decency and situational awareness.  AMAZING!

31 minutes ago, Eaglelover said:

Thank you, all, for the responses.  Indeed, I don't run much anymore but I do get some miles in walking.  I guess even the walking is not likely to be easy.  I'll do the treadmill likely.

I go to the park and walk 3.5 miles every other day.  I do that in about 45 minutes.  No, I'm not breaking the sound barrier, but I am 70 year old.   People on the exercise track on the ship had better get their butts and chairs out of the way, I'm old, big and clumsy.  You don't want me to fall on you!  😊

6 hours ago, Eaglelover said:

Thank you, all, for the responses.  Indeed, I don't run much anymore but I do get some miles in walking.  I guess even the walking is not likely to be easy.  I'll do the treadmill likely.

If you can time it right, walking is generally not problematic and would certainly be more pleasurable outside than on the treadmill. If you don't fancy going first thing in the morning, a good time is around when early dinner starts as the early diners are all eating and most of the later ones are getting ready for the evening. 

Also consider that on the smaller ships with track on pool deck, you will experience wind resistance while sailing.  I actually enjoy this.  I find that walking against the wind, rather than jogging, allows a calorie burn with fewer collision risks.  On Oasis class the track is sheltered for the most part, so walking/jogging is a different experience.  There are also many doors to watch (some crew/cargo doors), especially when passing someone.  What others have said about using the gym makes sense on the larger ships.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, twangster said:

There is no standard and they are a shared space where you will also find strollers and scooters and drunkards depending on the time of day. 

I can say that while I'm on neither stroller or scooter and never outside when tipsy...I have been guilty of casually strolling around the pool deck walking track...in the jog lane...going the wrong direction simply because I'm trying to get from aft to forward. Did this pretty much EVERY time on Odyssey and I was very grateful again to the reduced capacity because otherwise I think I would have been serious hindrance.

On 4/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, not easy being green said:

Allure of the Seas has one of the best tracks, on any ship I have been on - it is below the aqua deck and runs basically around the complete ship.  Deck 4 (I think or deck five) 

Looking forward to the lower walking track. I usually never intentionally take a walk around but it could be more tempting/satisfying in the shade of the lower deck, not having to dodge swimmers and kids.

On 4/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, 1st Mate said:

Yep, and very little outside interference.  It bothers me when people who aren't doing any serious exercising just get on the track to sightsee.  People, you can sightsee from many other decks.  In fact, you'll get a better view from higher decks.  

You don't want to get started on those that move the deck chairs around and put them in the middle of the walkway without any sense of common decency and situational awareness.  AMAZING!

like the Oassis class ships the jogging track is nice and not crowded, plus I love the chairs on the tail end . For the other ships I would run after dark and it was not to bad (I am not a morning person)

If you are looking for a specific ship, you can google it and it will tell you. I looked it up for quantum of the seas and it is almost 3 laps for a mile. Although I have not run on a Royal Carribean Cruise, I did run 16 miles (in on setting) on the running deck on a Disney ship and it was pretty easy.  Easy in the sense that I didn’t really have to avoid people. I have run on NCL and it was pretty easy too. To keep track of the laps on my 16 mile run, I ate a jelly bean for each lap.