Worst cruise ever

26 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

And the service industry is very happy with this. Because they can reduce costs and charge more for less and the majority of the people isn't going to complain because they are just happy to be cruising.

I think that the industry have to get their s.... together. If they are charging the same or more than before they shouldn't be giving a lesser service. 

Agree. Most businesses will provide the level of service they are forced to to keep people coming through the door. If we keep in the “just happy to be cruising” mindset, what makes cruising great will get lost. There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting the full experience when paying the full price. 

I just got back from this cruise. We must have been on totally different ships 🤷‍♀️

I do agree that I'm not a fan of the late arrival to CocoCay. I understand that on these 2 ship days one ship has to arrive early and get the island up and going, but for the gangway to end up being scheduled for 10:30 with all aboard at 4:30, it definitely makes for a shorter day.  We did end up making it in earlier than anticipated, but the original itinerary always showed 9:30‐5:00 for me.

I think the "worst cruise ever" was actually a different kind of pleasure cruise.  In April, 1865, the paddlewheeler, Sultana was overloaded with 2100 people (her capacity was 360) in Vicksburg, MI.  The passengers were about 90% Union soldiers who were prisoners in the Civil War.  Many of them had survived Andersonville.  The overcrowding was a result of a kick back and bribe by the ship Captain and the US Quartermaster in Vicksburg.  In a hurry to move his human cargo the Captain authorized a patch of a split boiler rather than a replacement.  Along with all the hells of war, 1865 was also a year of record flooding on the Mississippi River.  After picking up a load of fuel (coal),  the massive current of the river and the faulty boiler repair caused first one and then two other boilers to explode in the Mississippi on April 27 just 7 miles North of Memphis.  1168 people died.  Nearly all were American Soldiers. 

The news of the day was dominated by the end of the war, the death of Lincoln and the chase of Boothe.  It barely made the news.  Nobody was ever held accountable.

That is the worst cruise ever.

While this person may never return to the site, I thought I'd share advice for anyone else reading how to avoid/mitigate this kind of an issue in the future.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:36 AM, kimberleymarsh said:

Nothing seems to be on time, dining room staff is very confused at our table it seems and food isn’t that good.

I give MDR staff always one night as a mulligan. But if it service or food is not to your liking on the next night, then it's time to say something.

Don't sit there and take it.

Instead, ask to speak to your head waiter. Politely explain the problem you are encountering and ask what can be done to remedy it.

If the service is slow, they may move you to another table. Or I've seen head waiter reduce workload for your waiter so they have more time. I might recommend also observing the waiters to see where the issue is. One cruise they were giving our waiter in traditional dinner some MTD folks, which overwhelmed him.

If the food isnt good, specifically talk to head waiter what's not good about it. If it doesn't taste good, well, perhaps you aren't ordering the right foods for you.  But if it's too cold/hot/poorly prepared, then identify the issue.

Ryde classes are a joke!

I assume this is the spin classes. Not enough detail here to figure out what makes it not to your liking.

Royal's fitness classes are going to be basic fitness classes. This isn't Peloton or Orange Theory, so keep expectations in line.

Heading to Coco Cay currently, booked a cabana, paperwork says get it at 9:45 , staff says not til 10:45.  

This sounds like a miscommunication.

I can tell you from experience the second your ship is cleared, you can go to the cabana.

If you have a cabana rented, just walk off the ship and go to the cabana area and check in. There will be someone there.

I think everyone needs to really adjust expectations a little as we work to get back to “normal”.  Not just in the cruise industry but everywhere.  So many new people working in new jobs needing to be trained or gain experience, supply issues, delays etc…it’s going to take time to get better, until then need to adjust expectations and live with some of the minor stuff…and like Matt said, if something is really wrong it never hurts to politely say something or ask etc.

I'm on both sides of the complaining of the complainers issue.  

I agree, nothing will change if nothing is said about less than expected service, taste, speed, quantity.  I'll let "someone" know anywhere I spend my money if I don't think they, at least, met my expectations.  On a cruise, I expect everything to "exceed" my expectations, and they do for the most part.  But, I have to keep in mind that the more I cruise, I can't keep on expecting for my expectations to be exceeded.  Service, taste, speed, quantity, is a finite thing.  

On the other hand, as I've stated previously, there are far too many people in C.C. (and to be honest, others), that have 100 million posts or not, that are malcontents that migrate over to other "Social Media Venues just to spue their malcontness (if there is such a word).  I don't know the OP or the OP's reputation and I'm not saying that the OP is one of the malcontents, I don't know!  But, it is suspect.  I think the "malcontents" need to be exposed and "we" can decide to lend credence or not to the post(s).  

The posts that I lend credence to are those that may point out issues but also point out what went good.  However, we aren't perfect beings, yet.  We may get emotional and say things that we normally wouldn't, I understand that.  However, we can all come back (unless kicked out) and correct/revise our remarks and I hope we can do that without ridicule or objectionable comment.  

JMHO

24 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

I  I don't know the OP or the OP's reputation and I'm not saying that the OP is one of the malcontents, I don't know!  But, it is suspect. 

I trust that @FionaMG's assessment of the REAL@kimberleymarsh on CC is accurate. What isn't necessarily the case is that the poster claiming the username @kimberleymarsh on here is the same respected and respectable poster.

For instance, I could go register as @twangster on some site that he doesn't currently frequent and post all sorts of garbage that he would never post. Someone familiar with his work here might defend the fake "twangster" based on the real deal here.

10 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I trust that @FionaMG's assessment of the REAL@kimberleymarsh on CC is accurate. What isn't necessarily the case is that the poster claiming the username @kimberleymarsh on here is the same respected and respectable poster.

For instance, I could go register as @twangster on some site that he doesn't currently frequent and post all sorts of garbage that he would never post. Someone familiar with his work here might defend the fake "twangster" based on the real deal here.

Wait, what REAL kimberleymarsh on CC? The poster I was talking about on CC does not use that name. 

1 hour ago, Geoff P said:

I think everyone needs to really adjust expectations a little as we work to get back to “normal”.  Not just in the cruise industry but everywhere.  So many new people working in new jobs needing to be trained or gain experience, supply issues, delays etc…it’s going to take time to get better, until then need to adjust expectations and live with some of the minor stuff…and like Matt said, if something is really wrong it never hurts to politely say something or ask etc.

We have done three cruises since the restart and saw a huge difference in guest behaviors on our last one (back in Feb).  Politeness and respect are becoming a lost art. 

I’d hate to be new to a customer service job right now.  At my work we lose about half of the new people we hire because they don’t want to be treated like trash.   

Even people who have been in customer service for a long time are getting tired of it. 

59 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

That is very possible and not unheard of!

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Wait, what REAL kimberleymarsh on CC? The poster I was talking about on CC does not use that name. 

Clearly this thread has devolved into multiple topics that have gotten confused with each other. You mentioned a reliable poster on CC reporting the same stuff as the OP of this thread. Incorrect assumptions made that the OP and that reliable poster were one and the same.