Cruising with Type 1 diabetic

We will be cruising on RCCL with our 16 yo T1 diabetic son in July to Alaska on Quantum. This will be our first cruise with RCCL (cruised with Carnival and Disney before he was diagnosed) and our first cruise since his diagnosis. He has great knowledge and control of his condition. I was wondering if there are refrigerators in regular balcony cabins. I perused the forum and did not find much on the topic. Any experienced T1d cruiser here who could "help" put my worries at ease?

On 4/15/2022 at 3:51 PM, Sauterelledesiles said:

We will be cruising on RCCL with our 16 yo T1 diabetic son in July to Alaska on Quantum. This will be our first cruise with RCCL (cruised with Carnival and Disney before he was diagnosed) and our first cruise since his diagnosis. He has great knowledge and control of his condition. I was wondering if there are refrigerators in regular balcony cabins. I perused the forum and did not find much on the topic. Any experienced T1d cruiser here who could "help" put my worries at ease?

We cruised with my friends teenage daughter who too is a type I diabetic. When you do your check in paperwork, about 45 days from your cruise date, they ask for any disabilities or health concern needs. There is an extra form that you fill out. We were able to request a refrigerator. If you do not see that on check in,

I would call RC ahead of time an see if this is still the case.

I am a type 1 Diabetic and use an Insulin pump.  My hematologist says that once open (Remove cap on vial and stick needle in rubber stopper) Fast acting Insulin is good at room Temp. for approximately one month. Protein Insulin is also sensitive to light so I always place mine in the refrigerators onboard.  They are not very cold but it gets the job done.  If your son is on an insulin pump he should not go through the metal detectors in the airport or on the gangway aboard ship.  Alert the crew before you enter the scanner and they will have him bypass the scanners for a good old pat down.  A metal detector can and will often wipe an Insulin pump.  I also have one of these  https://www.amazon.com/Insulin-Cooler-Travel-Case-Nurses/dp/B08SJ23YQ3/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=insulin+cooler+travel+bag&qid=1650173368&sr=8-14  works for insulin Pins, several vials of insulin, Needles,  Test kit and most all accessories.

image.thumb.png.8375ff78d24cb64a8416aee845922f01.png