Please reassure me...

EmersonNZ

I think I've made the ultimate mistake... I just read Cruise Critic reviews on the Ovation of the Seas.

To say the reviews are poor... well it would be an understatement. I read the last 20 reviews and I'd say 2 were positive. There seemed to be complaints about lines, poor customers service, disorganized and overwhelmed staff and poor food.

Have other people read Cruise Critic and then found that there experienced differed or are we seeing a ship that is truly overwhelmed and not ready for the western market?

Just compared it to Voyager of the Seas also sailing out of Sydney any it is getting much much better reviews...

Help me Royal Carribeanblog forum... your my only hope....

I'll bow to those who have sailed on Ovation, but wanted to duck in and say that while CruiseCritic can be a great resource for certain things, I've found that using their forums for reviews is risky.  For one, people tend to go there to complain, thinking they'll be heard by the cruise lines (and I hope they are if the gripes are legit, I also hope they fill out their surveys...), but beyond that there just seems to be a cloud of negativity on CC.  I also understand that we all feel more compelled to take the time to type out negative experiences compared to positive ones - same goes for product reviews.  Not every poster is like this, and not every topic, but I find it amazing how people will go on 15 sailings for a ultra-premium or luxury line each year, stay in a penthouse suite, and complain about each one - why keep cruising if you hate it so much?

Again, hopefully someone with Ovation experience can chime in, but felt compelled to explain that I take CC forums' reviews with a grain of salt...or twenty.

I just wanted to add that while I don't know about Ovation, I wouldn't worry too much about reviews for all the reasons and more stated above!

I wish there was a more neutral/subjective review site for cruises. I find Trip Advisor to be pretty reasonable place to go for hotel/resort/restaurant reviews. Of course there is always some bad with the good but you learn to spot thoese who are reviewing just to  bash the place.

I usually only read the middle (2,3,4 stars) when reading reviews.  I feel like you get a more honest opinion from those people.  Something to remember, there are some people who will never be happy unless you have kissed every inch of their backside and gave them all their money back.  Not saying some aren't legit, I have had issues from time to time but I would let them know in the survey.   My last cruise was on the Oasis last month, had a horrible time but it had nothing to do with the staff, it was the passengers.  Was the worse cruise we've been on but still had some fun once we got away from the idiots making it bad for us. 

First, you should stop reading the reviews.  As Billy said, there are some great and helpful resources on CC, but their reader reviews are anything but objective.  I feel the reviews there tend to slanted in a certain direction.

Also, if you like, I can find you negative reviews of Star Wars, chocolate and baby kittens.  Doesn't mean much, really.

My advice is go in with a positive attitude, be prepared with your plans and I think you will have a great time!

In my professional experience, 95% - 99% of people only take the time to write a review ( for any service/hospitality based industry ) if they have a complaint.  The people that write positive reviews about anything are in the other 1% - 5%, or they are incentivized in someway to write a positive review.  Basically, if someone has a bad experience, they want the world to know.  If someone has the experience they expected, then they just feel they got the value they paid for and they move on about their life.  I don't really put much stock in review sites.

Just think of it this way....Estimate the number of people that have actually been on the ship since it started sailing, then compare that to the number of reviews you see.  You will likely see that the number of bad reviews (even if it's 100% bad reviews on a specific site) is marginal when compared to the number of people that have actually sailed on the ship thus far.

I have to agree with this. In all honesty, before we decided on Royal Caribbean for our cruise, we were initially leaning a lot more toward MSC Cruises as it would have fit our budget a lot better and/or allowed us to get a much better room class for the same money. It also would have been on their newest ship "Seaside", which is scheduled to start sailing just a few months before our cruise window, and the ports they had were all good; we might have even been able to do a back-to-back for both eastern and western Caribbean. But I read negative review after negative review that complained about the food, the entertainment, the staff being rude, "classism" in terms of guest treatment depending on whether you were a "Yacht Club" level stateroom, etc.; ultimately we gave up on them and switched to Royal.

In hindsight, I probably should have found a cruise agent first, asked them to give us a comparison of the two lines, and decided based on that rather than an internet forum. I will say that everything I read about MSC did give a pretty strong impression that they are more of a "classic" or "old world" European line, and that they aren't as Western-culture focused or have nearly as much in the way of child/teen focused activities. That could well be a source of the negativity in the reviews.

I certainly don't think that we've made a bad choice in going with RCI; I think the kids will have a much better time, and that the ports of call and activities they offer are better suited for a family of four. MSC might well be an option when it's just the wife and I looking to go, but for the full (younger) family, Royal Caribbean is definitely the better choice.

In reviews for anything (travel, clothing, etc), I look for the actual data points - not the opinion.  Someone may have their trip ruined because there was only one night that the MDR served lobster - and that's their perogative. If I don't care about lobster, their very real experience doesn't matter much to me.  If someone said they lloved the cruise b/c they didn't have live music in any of the venues and they prefer pop tunes, that's also their perogative - though this time, I actually feel it's a good thing for me.

Guest toodle68

When you consider all the personalities, backgrounds, cultures, religions, ages, countries etc.. I am amazed really that it all works. We have watched countless cruise documentaries and amazed at all the things that go into making a cruise work from the crew/company side. The number of food items, the meals.. it's mind blowing.

We are not beer drinkers, don't gamble or smoke and would happily taser anyone who uses the elevator to go up or down 1-2 floors, or refuses to sanitize their hands going into wind jammer, or slowly walks down the narrow cabin corridors looking at their phone, or who just dumps trash all over the place... but, we have a great time.  There is just so much to do, food to be eaten, places to go, things to watch etc.. We can sit on the promenade for ages watching people and sipping coffee.  

To be honest, I just don't know how you can't have a great time.  It is what you make of it..

I hardly ever write a review...until I saw several Mice standing on my suitcase looking at me.  I jumped up and they ran under the door to the next room and I quickly put a towel over the hole.  I submitted the review and the owner must have deleted it, cause i never saw it.  So I quit writing reviews,  oh and this was a Quality hotel not a ship.

JLMoran,

MSC, from what I've read, is the least traditional of the cruise lines and does not have a strong fitting with North American cruisers, so it may not be a good first cruise experience. While I am booked on the Seaside's second sailing out of Miami, I know it will be very different from Royal. Beyond their ship within a ship format, which most cruises are doing by offering special areas and incentives for suite guests, each cabin category has three classes you can book into. Some offer beverages, done allow for room service, some allow for flexible dining, etc. With Royal, these things are included in ALL staterooms. As a result, I think Royal offers a more predictable product.

While I'm excited to cruise on the Seaside and experience a new cruise line, I'm well aware that it will be different.

JLMoran,

MSC, from what I've read, is the least traditional of the cruise lines and does not have a strong fitting with North American cruisers, so it may not be a good first cruise experience. While I am booked on the Seaside's second sailing out of Miami, I know it will be very different from Royal. Beyond their ship within a ship format, which most cruises are doing by offering special areas and incentives for suite guests, each cabin category has three classes you can book into. Some offer beverages, done allow for room service, some allow for flexible dining, etc. With Royal, these things are included in ALL staterooms. As a result, I think Royal offers a more predictable product.

While I'm excited to cruise on the Seaside and experience a new cruise line, I'm well aware that it will be different.

DocLC, am I wrong or did I just hear you talk about this upcoming cruise of yours on the most recent Cruise Dudes podcast (#95, Jan 18)? It was mentioned at the tail end of a really comprehensive and enjoyable review of Allure of the Seas, along with discussing how it was in fact possible to haggle down the price of the photo set from the dolphin excursion in Cozumel.

If that was you, great job!

DocLC, am I wrong or did I just hear you talk about this upcoming cruise of yours on the most recent Cruise Dudes podcast (#95, Jan 18)? It was mentioned at the tail end of a really comprehensive and enjoyable review of Allure of the Seas, along with discussing how it was in fact possible to haggle down the price of the photo set from the dolphin excursion in Cozumel.

If that was you, great job!

That was me. Thanks for the kind words.

... would happily taser anyone who uses the elevator to go up or down 1-2 floors ...

You never know why someone is using that lift. I use stairs when I can but have a very bad knee and towards the end of the day cannot navigate stairs without a lot of pain. Taser me if you must but a healing prayer would be more welcome.

Guest toodle68

You never know why someone is using that lift. I use stairs when I can but have a very bad knee and towards the end of the day cannot navigate stairs without a lot of pain. Taser me if you must but a healing prayer would be more welcome.

Absolutely.. and I am well aware that some have unseen issues. I had two bad knees for 25 years and had both completely replaced last March. 

I second this sentiment (though as an agnostic I'll be just as happy to take sympathetic thoughts in lieu of prayer). My right leg is an inch shorter than my left, and my right foot is fused at heel, ankle, and shin. While I can walk and take stairs, I'm limited in how long I can do it and there are definitely times I'm grateful for an elevator to save me a bit of pain at the end of a long day.

Very good point. I just wish people would follow let those who were waiting first to board first and to let people off before they rush in.

Seriously, it's a cruise... where do you actually NEED to be in a rush to get?

The only time I ever witnessed a rush, was right after Muster ..... rushing to the bar for another drink ..... It was hysterical, everyone did a bee-line for the pool bar, we went for the Solarium Bar..... no line..... BOOM!!! "Mic Drop"

The only time I ever witnessed a rush, was right after Muster ..... rushing to the bar for another drink ..... It was hysterical, everyone did a bee-line for the pool bar, we went for the Solarium Bar..... no line..... BOOM!!! "Mic Drop"

The Solarium pool bar is almost always my favorite for that reason. I always seem to make friends with the bartenders there. 

Yup..its defn a great tip if the pool bar is crazy or busy, chances are if you walk a few more steps around to the solarium bar its a lot less busy and quicker. And defn easier to chat and get to know the bartenders there which is a plus for sure.

Ships that have Sky bar's I really like..not as busy as the pool bar and great views from up there too!

You got that right. Just another example of the selfish me first attitudes so prevalent in society today.