USS Iowa

Diesel

Shouldn't take too long at all. Maybe 10 minutes if you're going slow? 

Unfortunately I don't know specifically about Los Angeles, but I've never had a problem dropping my bags off with the porters at any other port as soon as the parking lot opened. 

Also, kind of funny that it looks like the USS Iowa is edited out of Google Maps satellite view. 

I haven't been to LA either.  However, I've never seen where the baggage drop-off porters are connected in anyway to the IT system in the terminal or ship.  So, the porters don't know what your check-in time is.  All they want is your tip money.  So, I'd give it a try, drop them off as early as you want/can.  

You can drop your bags with the porters (I have done it as early as 11:00), and stroll over to the Iowa.  Navigator is right behind Iowa at the dock.  It would be no more than a 5 minute walk. On the picture above, you can drop your bags off in front of that gray, tent-like structure and then head over.

That’s pretty cool that she’s right there by the cruise terminal. 

I had the opportunity to go see the Missouri (which I believe is an Iowa Class) when she stopped at Subic Bay in…1990 I think. It was awe-inspiring. 

I can’t imagine serving on a ship like that.  No Royal Genies onboard a battleship. 

We dropped are bags off at 9ish and walked over to the IOWA on or last cruise. (took 5 min) We had a boarding time of 10:30 (booked in a J.S.). The Iowa doesn't open until 10:00 and we were not going to miss a minute on the Navigator, so we passed on the tour. If you have a later boarding time, it would be a great option to kill a little time before you board.