Current Symphony Cruise comment

Currently on Symphony,  closing out another wonderful Royal cruise. First time on a ship this size. We were worried the size would overwhelm us. We have been pleasantly surprised.  As usual, the crew are superb!!  We have only 2 complaints. First, the Royal app has been very hit or miss. It freezes frequently, which is a bummer when you've come to rely on it from previous cruises. The other issue had been the MDR. On our boarding pass,  we were scheduled for 8:00 seating, which is what we wanted.  When we received our Sea Pass Cards, it showed My Time Dining. We were unable to get it changed.  The food has been good as usual (with a couple of exceptions). The staff was great.  However,  we like getting to know  the staff, and when they change every night it isn't as fun.

4 hours ago, GatorCruiser said:

Symphony is the bomb !

I second that.  It's my favorite ship so far.  We've cruised on Oasis, Allure, and Symphony.  We've got a booking on Harmony in November.  So, that only leaves the Wonder.  We're working on doing every Oasis class ship.  We've done the Anthem and are on the Ovation in 29 days.  So, we've got a couple more Quantum Class ships to go there.  We're working on it.  

I'll only go on the largest class ships I can find.  So, that leaves out the older Royal ships.  I'm going to have to start repeating my cruise ships soon enough.  I love it.

2 hours ago, AandD said:

Cruiser58, We will be on the Symphony in 5 weeks. Our first time on a Oasis class ship. We are excited as we are doing this cruise to experience this ship. How are the crowds for the shows ? We have the UDP for dinners as we want to try different restaurants but also want to see the shows. 

Be sure you make reservations for the shows ASAP. Stand in line when you first board if you must. Also, be sure to be at the shows the 15 or 20 minutes ahead to be sure to get your reservations.  At 10 minutes before the show, they release any unclaimed reservations to standbys.

Also, make reservations for your dining locations ASAP. These will fill up quickly. 

16 hours ago, Cruiser58 said:

Currently on Symphony,  closing out another wonderful Royal cruise. First time on a ship this size. We were worried the size would overwhelm us. We have been pleasantly surprised.  As usual, the crew are superb!!  We have only 2 complaints. First, the Royal app has been very hit or miss. It freezes frequently, which is a bummer when you've come to rely on it from previous cruises. The other issue had been the MDR. On our boarding pass,  we were scheduled for 8:00 seating, which is what we wanted.  When we received our Sea Pass Cards, it showed My Time Dining. We were unable to get it changed.  The food has been good as usual (with a couple of exceptions). The staff was great.  However,  we like getting to know  the staff, and when they change every night it isn't as fun.

It's probably too late for you, but you can request to have the same time/table/waiter in the MDR.  We also enjoy having the same waiters for the week so we always request it.

49 minutes ago, SLJ said:

We're going on Symphony next weekend!! My question is, do the shows not show up on the app/website before hand anymore? So we'd have to physically book it at the counter after boarding? 

I will post below the shows for the upcoming week on Symphony, hopefully it will help. If the same itinerary, it should (??) be close 

973D2E81-18A2-47C3-99BC-EF35E950B23C.jpeg

18 hours ago, Cruiser58 said:

The other issue had been the MDR. On our boarding pass,  we were scheduled for 8:00 seating, which is what we wanted.  When we received our Sea Pass Cards, it showed My Time Dining. We were unable to get it changed.  The food has been good as usual (with a couple of exceptions). The staff was great.  However,  we like getting to know  the staff, and when they change every night it isn't as fun.

Since the cruise is ending, I'm adding this as a note for the future. I've only sailed with my time dining and have always had the same staff. If this happens again, or you just decide to do MTD again, you can request to be seated in the same section every night. This might result in a wait if the section is full and you are likely to get a different table than depending on what opens first, but they will absolutely accommodate you.

You can also circumvent this by making "reservations" for your preferred time so they always make sure to block out the table you get on the first night.

17 hours ago, Cruiser58 said:

Be sure you make reservations for the shows ASAP. Stand in line when you first board if you must. Also, be sure to be at the shows the 15 or 20 minutes ahead to be sure to get your reservations.  At 10 minutes before the show, they release any unclaimed reservations to standbys.

Also, make reservations for your dining locations ASAP. These will fill up quickly. 

Thanks so much for the update! We sail on Symphony in 22 days and can't wait!! Aside from your issues with the RC app, how was the overall WiFi experience on the ship? My biggest complaint about the Odyssey in November was the spotty WiFi even though we had the Surf & Stream,

On 4/15/2022 at 1:53 PM, jbmakingmemories said:

Thanks so much for the update! We sail on Symphony in 22 days and can't wait!! Aside from your issues with the RC app, how was the overall WiFi experience on the ship? My biggest complaint about the Odyssey in November was the spotty WiFi even though we had the Surf & Stream,

Over all, we had no significant issues with wifi.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, Matt said:

Which device are you using the app?

Sorry, Matt, just saw this. It is a Samsung Galaxy 22 Ultra. My wife has an identical (well, except she got the burgundy), and she didn't have as many issues. Must have been operator error! It did give me a good excuse to stay at the bar(s).

On 4/14/2022 at 9:39 PM, Cruiser58 said:

Hey Cruiser58, I'm new to this ship, how do we book the shows? Do we book the shows through the app? Or do we book it somewhere in the ship? Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

Hey Cruiser58, I'm new to this ship, how do we book the shows? Do we book the shows through the app? Or do we book it somewhere in the ship? Thanks in advance.

You can book shows in the app. Just connect to the ships wifi and open the app. You don't have to pay for a wifi package to use the app. If it gives you a hard time put the phone in airplane mode and turn the wifi back on.

They also usually have a place to book the shows once you are onboard. If it isn't immediately obvious ask Guest Services or someone in a yellow shirt/jacket/vest and they will tell you where to go.

Very first thing we do when we get onboard is book all our shows. Usually go to the Solarium have a drink and get it done. If you're doing specialty dining that also should be done first thing. Oh and sometime in there we finish our e-muster. We've always just used the APP to do this.